Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof slot measurements

Hi , can anyone take a couple of measurements for me by any chance? Or is anyone in Somerset who would not mind me measuring their van roof?

I make solar panel kits for camper vans that are low profile and bolt on, preferably with no drilling needed. I make many for VW Calis and thought I'd look at the MP as it is such a similar propsition.

What I need to know is the distance between the roof "slots" - centre to centre, also the width of the slots internally, and the available height inside the slots too.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Roger

Dundry

Roger, I’m in Bristol if that’s of any help. Would be hopeless at doing measurements you could rely on myself.

Hi - thanks for that - sorry for the late reply - been snowed under! I appreciate the offer and might well give you a shout when things calm down a little / I'm heading to Bristol.

Much appreciated.

GeorgeG

Hi , can anyone take a couple of measurements for me by any chance? Or is anyone in Somerset who would not mind me measuring their van roof?

I make solar panel kits for camper vans that are low profile and bolt on, preferably with no drilling needed. I make many for VW Calis and thought I'd look at the MP as it is such a similar propsition.

What I need to know is the distance between the roof "slots" - centre to centre, also the width of the slots internally, and the available height inside the slots too.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Roger

Hi Roger

Just seen your post after I’d posted about my leisure battery issues in a my new Marco Polo (well delivery mileage pre-reg if not exactly new). I’m very keen to fit a solar panel and have drawn a blank in the UK. There are plenty of installers in Europe as the MP is so much more common as they’ve been making them since 1999.

I’m in Dorset and will happily visit you so you can look over my vehicle with the possibility that you may wish to use me as a guinea pig!

George - that would be great - I'm in TA4 - drop me a PM and I'll give you my email address unless I can post it here: [email protected]

Basically I'd need to measure up the roof slots (I assume all MPs have them?) and also look at any ways of getting the cable inside without drilling any holes - if this is at all possible. On the VW California I route the cable in through a tailgate grommet. Don't know if the MP has something similar.

I also need ot investigate how to get cables to the battery etc.

If it is doable (getting cables in without drilling holes) then I'd create the kit, then you would return when it's ready and I'd fit yours with no installation charge, taking the opportunity to photograph and make notes on the installation. I'd also discount the kit significantly for you.

Mostly I think it's going to be about getting the cable inside - perhaps you could have a look for any grommets / ways in sp we know we are at least on teh right track.

I can of course make a kit that involves drilling a hole in the roof, but going by VW Cali customers, this is not a popular option.

GeorgeG

George - that would be great - I'm in TA4 - drop me a PM and I'll give you my email address unless I can post it here: [email protected]

Basically I'd need to measure up the roof slots (I assume all MPs have them?) and also look at any ways of getting the cable inside without drilling any holes - if this is at all possible. On the VW California I route the cable in through a tailgate grommet. Don't know if the MP has something similar.

I also need ot investigate how to get cables to the battery etc.

If it is doable (getting cables in without drilling holes) then I'd create the kit, then you would return when it's ready and I'd fit yours with no installation charge, taking the opportunity to photograph and make notes on the installation. I'd also discount the kit significantly for you.

Mostly I think it's going to be about getting the cable inside - perhaps you could have a look for any grommets / ways in sp we know we are at least on teh right track.

I can of course make a kit that involves drilling a hole in the roof, but going by VW Cali customers, this is not a popular option.

Hi Roger
I’ve sent you a pm and email.

Ok Peeps - I've made and installed a Kit for a nice chap called Paul. It's an easy install, and looks great. Will post some pics up when I get a chance in the next day or so.

Ian

Do you have any idea if when the kit is fitted the vehicle would remain <2m in height? Given the profile of the roof I'd have thought that a thin solar panel mounted towards the back may keep it below this height? It's certainly useful in France for going through the 2m auto route lanes.

Ian

Excellent. Would be really interested to see how this all fits together and looks when it is installed.

The cable goes through the rubber boot (you cut a small slit) - and then is cable tied to it (not shown).

The white cable is just a lead cable I use to pull the actual solar cable through. Easier to thread a smaller wire through first.

The power cable goes through the bottom cupboard, and straight into the electrical campartment next to it (on the left side of the rear bench seat) where there are wires from the battery waiting for you!

GeorgeG

Roger beat me to it. I was going to post pics of his installation on my MP. Very pleased with results. I’ve left my fridge on 4 (turned it down to 3 after a couple of days). Despite recent cloudy conditions, battery remains on full charge and consistently on 12.8 to 13v.and it has not been driven since Tuesday.

I had the solar panel fitted as my last van - Westfalia Columbus - had 2 leisure batteries and a solar panel and we generally camp off grid. The current installation looks very promising.

If anyone is interested in getting solar fitted I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Roger at Solar Camper Solutions - very nice chap and very professional.

Roger beat me to it. I was going to post pics of his installation on my MP. Very pleased with results. I’ve left my fridge on 4 (turned it down to 3 after a couple of days). Despite recent cloudy conditions, battery remains on full charge and consistently on 12.8 to 13v.and it has not been driven since Tuesday.

I had the solar panel fitted as my last van - Westfalia Columbus - had 2 leisure batteries and a solar panel and we generally camp off grid. The current installation looks very promising.

If anyone is interested in getting solar fitted I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Roger at Solar Camper Solutions - very nice chap and very professional.

Thank you George, and thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

R

Dundry

Roger, would you post a copy of the installation instructions on here so I can see if I’m up for trying to fit the cables or not? Understand if this is your IP and not for general sharing. I’m just a bit nervous about ordering and not able to wire the cables in.

Thanks