Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof rattle - please help

lcsymonds

Hi All,

We received our brand new MP in December and are loving it so far.

It has, however, developed a rattle/squeaky roof. It settles at speed (55mph plus) but is extremely irritating. We've tried putting the roof up and down etc. and can't find any obvious cause. The rattle stops if I put upward pressure with my hand while driving.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have a solution?

Thank you!!

Laura

lcsymonds

Thank you!

"Got our MP back from the dealers after a few days in for the rattle fix. They found it, or them, as it was 1) the hinges that connect the roof to the body had not been tightened on one side, so was flexing. I think it was where they connect to the body or roof rather than the hinge itself. I'll look when the roof next goes up"

Is this something we should look at ourselves or send back to MB would you think?

TMC

For me, anything covered by warranty, I'd make MB sort it. It costs enough to buy without having to become an engineer within a few months of owndership.

Deckard

Thank you!

"Got our MP back from the dealers after a few days in for the rattle fix. They found it, or them, as it was 1) the hinges that connect the roof to the body had not been tightened on one side, so was flexing. I think it was where they connect to the body or roof rather than the hinge itself. I'll look when the roof next goes up"

Is this something we should look at ourselves or send back to MB would you think?
Get them to do it - but, if you can identify/suggest the exact location/source, that will help enormously - otherwise be prepared for more than one visit to the garage - rattles are notoriously difficult to trace.

Steve B

Its ours that still has the roof area creak. Its been back and forwards but not solved yet. I stopped the hinge replacement as I cannot see how this is the issue and I'm worried it will be worse when returned. Its not draws or the usual known squeaks, but we have narrowed it down to the long piece of trim above the kitchen with the light in it. The clips that hold it in place were damaged somehow so new ones have been ordered, so we'll see. Its only on bumpy roads we get it, on motorways/good A roads its fine. Also, it was only after the roof was replaced we had it

Deckard

Its ours that still has the roof area creak. Its been back and forwards but not solved yet. I stopped the hinge replacement as I cannot see how this is the issue and I'm worried it will be worse when returned. Its not draws or the usual known squeaks, but we have narrowed it down to the long piece of trim above the kitchen with the light in it. The clips that hold it in place were damaged somehow so new ones have been ordered, so we'll see. Its only on bumpy roads we get it, on motorways/good A roads its fine. Also, it was only after the roof was replaced we had it
Ours has a bit of a 'thuddy' type rattle on bumpy roads - I suspect it comes from the upper bed but I haven't really tied to fully identify it yet. The trouble with rattles is that it s so hard to tell where they come from - especially in a campervan that has so many potential sources - including the stuff we carry around in it.

The rattles we had in our T6 drove me up the wall and even after several trips back to the dealer, they still weren't totally cured.

Webbah

I bought one of these a few years back to troubleshoot some suspension noises in my Tesla and it's been super helpful in me sorting out noises in the MP. Not sure if you can order direct in the UK though. I had mine shipped from the US. Yes, it isn't exactly cheap but it is a real time saver. Funny enough, when I told Tesla I found the source of noise using this kit they pulled out the same kit from their workshop. So, why didn't you just use that in the first place guys>? ;-)