Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Bars for MP

Jonty

I am getting mixed messages about putting roof rail On my new MP. The owner manual says that it will take 50 kg and Mercedes have confirmed that. Thule seem to be the only manufacturer that fit to the T channel system that is fitted to my MP. Yet they will not recommend any system for the vehicle with a pop top. I am also reading in forum that people have experienced cracked roofs. Therefore it feels like it might be dangerous to put a roof bar system on my vehicle to carry three surfboards. Has anyone got Experience and views with regard to this problem. I seem to be going around in circles with Mercedes and suppliers. Thank you

Tee

Mercedes Benz Germany and westfalia germany have the carrier systems on the specific websites. We used the MB one to clarify the rear bike rack a few years ago and there was a function where you could put your chassis number in the MB site to check. We’ve had some stuff from MB germany and it delivered quickly albeit you had to pay by bank not credit card

I have no view on the loading or roof crack risk though.

SteveR

I used Thule Probars with a Kayak on top and it was fine. As you have noted, MB state 50kg max load.

Method7

I have carried all the usual stuff on my roof including surfboards x2 a huge parasol and one time all the materials to build this growing wall for our allotment..
The rack is a thule
Post in thread 'Roof racks'
https://www.marcopoloownersclub.com/threads/roof-racks.100/post-3360

probably not recommended as a builders truck but when down the roof is well supported and the load is very close to the edges and evenly distributed.

Attachments

• 9BCABB1C-CFA0-4D1F-9A0E-1A14E018B559.jpeg
    9BCABB1C-CFA0-4D1F-9A0E-1A14E018B559.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 2BA45207-B30C-4066-A112-C06375B7BD63.jpeg
    2BA45207-B30C-4066-A112-C06375B7BD63.jpeg
    1,009.9 KB · Views: 20

Jonty

I have carried all the usual stuff on my roof including surfboards x2 a huge parasol and one time all the materials to build this growing wall for our allotment..
The rack is a thule
Post in thread 'Roof racks'
https://www.marcopoloownersclub.com/threads/roof-racks.100/post-3360

probably not recommended as a builders truck but when down the roof is well supported and the load is very close to the edges and evenly distributed.
Thanks for the reply and pictures. Really helpful