Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

PUMPS

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member
At present I only have a tiny bit of water coming out of all three jets on the front windscreen. I thought I would also try turning on the tap. No water pumping even though the sink tank is nearly full. Surely the same pump does NOT do the windscreen & the tap and the machinic is wrong by ordering in a new pump.Has anyone else had any experience of a similar problem. Many Thanks Demented Dave.

Epigram

Hi Legess (Dave)
Two different problems and pumps.
Regarding the screenwashers; provided you can hear the motors, it is probably but mould/slime clogging the filter in the windscreen washer tank. The rear screenwash will probably stop as well!
It has happened to me twice nowand I have learned my lesson to use good quality premixed washer fluid with a high alcohol content.
Unfortunately the tank /pump/filter is difficult to get at behind the front left hand mudguard. Don’t go to Mercedes, they will probably say it’s the pump and charge you a fortune. A decent mechanic with small double jointed hands can do the job and flush the system out for fraction of the cost.
Not sure about the sink tap. Can you hear the pump motor?

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member
Hi Legess (Dave)
Two different problems and pumps.
Regarding the screenwashers; provided you can hear the motors, it is probably but mould/slime clogging the filter in the windscreen washer tank. The rear screenwash will probably stop as well!
It has happened to me twice nowand I have learned my lesson to use good quality premixed washer fluid with a high alcohol content.
Unfortunately the tank /pump/filter is difficult to get at behind the front left hand mudguard. Don’t go to Mercedes, they will probably say it’s the pump and charge you a fortune. A decent mechanic with small double jointed hands can do the job and flush the system out for fraction of the cost.
Not sure about the sink tap. Can you hear the pump motor?
No motor from the sink tap whatsoever, that Iam thinking it's the fuse, I WILL check the fuse tomorrow. The front windscreen wash The mechanic has told me that the non return valve may have gone, or the pump. There is NO way the windscreen wash pump is connected to the internal tap pump, nor is it connected to the rear screen wiper pump. Both fed individualy. I AM CONFUSED, there is no way the tap fuse would blow, at the same time as the windscreen wash pump would fail.

Epigram

This is the “slime” that built up around my windscreen washer pump inlets caused by me using ”wrong” washer fluids.- (sorry to put you off your breakfast!) .I thought I had a picture of the pump installation but can’t find it.

Regarding the fresh water and sink tap. if the fuse doesn’t get it going then unfortunately it’s probably the pump motor. There is plenty on threads here about pump motors burning out due to the tap getting knocked on mainly when the tank was empty. Indeed I recently posted a picture of the rubber band I put round mine to hold the tap off.
Good luck IMG_8558.jpeg

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member
No motor from the sink tap whatsoever, that Iam thinking it's the fuse, I WILL check the fuse tomorrow. The front windscreen wash The mechanic has told me that the non return valve may have gone, or the pump. There is NO way the windscreen wash pump is connected to the internal tap pump, nor is it connected to the rear screen wiper pump. Both fed individualy. I AM CONFUSED, there is no way the tap fuse would blow, at the same time as the windscreen wash pump would fail.

What's a 'wrong' washer fluid? Intrigued.....
Your probably right Steve, as I have only ever put fairy liquid in my washer tank, never proper wash fluid. Looks like an expensive Mercedes pump needed. Cheers Steve. #nomorefairy

Epigram

What's a 'wrong' washer fluid? Intrigued.....
Not really sure Steve. In my chase it was some cheap concentrate that Mrs E bought from Macro, I even premixed before it went in. My guess is it somehow separated out from, or reacted with, what was in there before.

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member
At present I only have a tiny bit of water coming out of all three jets on the front windscreen. I thought I would also try turning on the tap. No water pumping even though the sink tank is nearly full. Surely the same pump does NOT do the windscreen & the tap and the machinic is wrong by ordering in a new pump.Has anyone else had any experience of a similar problem. Many Thanks Demented Dave.
My local mechanic has had a look, and his findings are the sump section of the front washer tank is silted up with sticky 3years of fairy washing up liquid all congealed like slime stuck to the pump. He has told me over the weekend to try a good industrial cleaner/screen wash and try and flush the sludge out through the jets. It's a bit like a drain cleaner. If that foes not work he will order me in a new front washer pump only. My problem with the inner tap IS the rear fuse. Thank uou guys gor your input. I will keep you updated next week yo see if the drain cleaner worked, or if I need a new pump. Totally agree AVOID the main dealers at all cost.Dave

Epigram

Hi Legess (Dave) Glad you sorted the sink tap.
My experience with trying to degunk the washer is it probably wont work without physically cleaning the slime off off the slime off the pump rather than trying to disolve it and running it through the jets which may clog.
If you can hear the screenwasher pump(s) running they are OK. Its a matter of taking off the inner mudguard and getting the pump out, cleaning it and flushing the system. Try this before ordering a replacement.
Good luck!

The fat controller

My local mechanic has had a look, and his findings are the sump section of the front washer tank is silted up with sticky 3years of fairy washing up liquid all congealed like slime stuck to the pump. He has told me over the weekend to try a good industrial cleaner/screen wash and try and flush the sludge out through the jets. It's a bit like a drain cleaner. If that foes not work he will order me in a new front washer pump only. My problem with the inner tap IS the rear fuse. Thank uou guys gor your input. I will keep you updated next week yo see if the drain cleaner worked, or if I need a new pump. Totally agree AVOID the main dealers at all cost.Dave
Thanks for this info. I also have an intermittent issue with the rear pump which I have yet to investigate, but drives me crazy.

Re the fuse, was it just a case of replacing and if so do you remember the number/location please?!

Many thanks

Epigram

Thanks for this info. I also have an intermittent issue with the rear pump which I have yet to investigate, but drives me crazy.

Re the fuse, was it just a case of replacing and if so do you remember the number/location please?!

Many thanks
Try searching the thread “Fresh water pump” I think there is the fuse allocation and picture.
BTW front and rear washers are in the same tank so it’s probably the same problem.
This is the screenwash my garge told me to use. Not seen it before and haven’t checked where to get it. Xpnsive but cheaper than getting the pump(s) degunked.

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpeg
    IMG_3586.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member

Many thanks
Yellow one second on in from the left to right

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member

Many thanks

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member
In the rear compartment just below the gas safety switch of valve, there are about 6 fuses, the sink fuse is left to right, the second one mine was yellow 20amp. Good luck.

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member
Again of your ever stuck, have a look on YouTube gor Markymark merc Polo, he gas dome fantastic videos on there.

LEGLESS

LEGLESS

VIP Member
Hi Legess (Dave) Glad you sorted the sink tap.
My experience with trying to degunk the washer is it probably wont work without physically cleaning the slime off off the slime off the pump rather than trying to disolve it and running it through the jets which may clog.
If you can hear the screenwasher pump(s) running they are OK. Its a matter of taking off the inner mudguard and getting the pump out, cleaning it and flushing the system. Try this before ordering a replacement.
Good luck!
Yes he did get the pump off, it was so so cramped up with junk, I asked him to order me a new one. Still waiting on his estimate.