Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking sensors

Pip J

We picked up our new MP yesterday. The parking sensors don’t appear to be working. There is no alarm sound when reversing close to objects. At the risk of sounding stupid , we presume they should be working automatically (P switch not lit up so not switched off) , we just want to check there’s nothing we’re supposed to ‘set up’ / do before we have a moan at dealer. Thanks

Roy C

Are the visual indicators working? There are lights in the roof towards the rear, on the reversing camera and in the instrument cluster. I find the lights tend to come on well before the lights and the beeps only sound when really close to something.

Pip J

I’m not sure they are. I will check tomorrow. I thought the beeps would be like my car where they come on earlier. The manual says about a metre I think. Thanks for your help

Pip J

The beeps start when we're just about to hit something... approx 20cm away. Surely that can' be right!! Can you get the sensor distance altered maybe?

Roy C

It is different from other cars I have had where the beeps start much earlier. I’ve had mine a couple of months and I have got used to watching the visual guides and the fact that the beeps are only for the last bit. As far as I can see in the manual there is no way to alter it but I suspect, like me, you’ll get used to it.

Paul Rutley

My advice is don't moan at the dealers, they're trying to do a job with a new type of vehicle that they're probably finding various niggles like this. My dealer is doing his best but they are not fully grasping the problem.
Regarding parking sensors an interesting poll of members would be see if this is uncommon or common. So if your parking sensors (remember this is one of the most important warning signals when parking) are good or bad then how would you measure it out of 1 to 10. Ten being very good. For the front what number would you give (10 being the best); for the rear again what number would you give, 10 being the best.
In my experience the front is better than the rear in terms of volume but I would still only give it 3. The rear is barely audible and the pitch too high - I'd only give 1.
The dealers say they can turn it up from factory setting by 25%. I didn't think there was any difference. The dealers want to help, the've had my Marco back twice.
I've had other people, with better hearing than me, saying it is barely audible when the engine's running.
I'm having a hearing test tomorrow!
I hadn't noticed the distance the sensor picks up objects on the first bleep and I would say most definitely 200mm is not enough with this type of blindsided vehicle.
Apparently this is not an uncommon fault as you can read in this 2012 VW thread -
http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/9417-how-to-increase-volume-of-rear-parking-sensors/
but as honest johns say - you will invalidate your warranty if you modify it
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/...s-are-too-quite---how-can-i-make-them-louder-
Good Luck Pip J, let us know how you get on.
I for one think the Marco is a fantastic machine and I'm looking forward to putting it to the test this year. I say this because I'm not putting it down but want the dealers to put it right.
I'd rather be deafened than bump into something. on that count I'll tell that tale in my new member introduction, coming soon:)

Pip J

Sensor update....our MP had to go in for
Various faults & we asked them to check the parking sensors. The garage 'updated ' the sensors so that they are progressive & the warning noise now starts a lot earlier & gets louder as the vehicle reverses close to objects- much better!