Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Top Up

R

Roadrunner

VIP Member
I am in France and likely need to top up my oil in my 2021 MP 220D. Does anyone know what brands/specifications I need. I have tried reading the manual but it’s not very clear.
Many thanks

Blackrat

A 30 second google search shows SAE 5W 30.
Mobil is the approved brand but any branded make will be ok.
If you are in any doubt use the satnav to locate the nearest Merc dealer to your location and buy from them. French for it is huile motour.
Out of interest how many miles has your MP done. Mine has never needed a top up between services. You’re far more likely to need to top up the Adblue.

SteveR

I agree with @Blackrat - I never needed to top up oils in 3 years (albeit some of that was lockdown)
Just make sure you are buying synthetic and not mineral oil, e.g. Mobil 1

R

Roadrunner

VIP Member
Thanks very much both. I was just concerned as looking at the oil gauge it’s only slightly above the minimum level. I have done 10,000 miles since getting the MP on Nov so it’s getting well used. I also have already had to top up Ad blue as the warning message came up for that too. Thanks again

DPS20K

Mercedes are very good at supplying new MPs with the oil level just on the minimum. Ours was like that when we got it last July. It hasn’t moved in 8k miles.

Chris

Mercedes are very good at supplying new MPs with the oil level just on the minimum. Ours was like that when we got it last July. It hasn’t moved in 8k miles.
Same experience here. I checked after 1000 miles and was surprised to see oil level just above minimum. Asked garage to investigate. They couldn't see any problems and were told by Mercedes to do nothing unless a warning came up. One year later, reading is still the same.

Van Diesel

the new models should tell you when to top up the oil and with how much.
As far as what oil to use...its best to ask mercedes (its in their systems)....so you get exactly the same oil which is in the engine.
Apparently it might differ from car to car series.

SatInAField

My viano has the same engine (older version). It is very fussy on the oil level and sets the high level alarm off when I get to high speed on the motorway if the static fill level is over about midway on the dipstick. Sounds as if they realise this and are trying to avoid the issue.

Van Diesel

the oil expands alot..its 9 liter of oil.
The new engine i have do not have a dipstick. the oil should never be more then between min and max since its expanding when hot.
However the problem is the dipstick is lacking on never models. i recommend just adding 0,5 L only if the oil is at min,,,, or a mbac warning is issued with the amount then use that amount.

however my measurements are fuzzy....due to the oil takes a very long time to heat up....just becasue ur water temp says 84 inside the van the oil is not hot yet. it takes about 35km on a highway for it to heat up completly... :)

Marc o Polo

I am in France and likely need to top up my oil in my 2021 MP 220D. Does anyone know what brands/specifications I need. I have tried reading the manual but it’s not very clear.
Many thanks
Hi roadrunner
Just wondering why you feel you need to top up please? Is mercedes me notifying you? 21 model have you had your first 2 year service? I have 21 220 my and I've not needed to top up - I have had service. I am about to top up with ad blue. Just wondered if the van prompts you for oil or you just feel you need to. Thanks

Carol

I topped mine up with a little oil when it was on minimum, after a 25 mile run the warning came on telling me it was overfilled , so now l stuck with minimum level

funkyegg

I topped mine up with a little oil when it was on minimum, after a 25 mile run the warning came on telling me it was overfilled , so now l stuck with minimum level
I have the same message come up occasionally after the last service. Took the car back the dealership and they confirmed they have done everything up to the service instructions. The dip stick also shows the oil level is just slightly above midpoint between min and max. I think it’s best to leave the oil level just right above the minimum.

evansrache04

I got my car serviced for the first time in June this year and have since driven around 8000kms. However I noticed that the engine oil level is at half mark as per the screen and the next service is due in approximately 12000 kms. Should I be worried? I don’t want my car to get starved of oil and have any engine failures. Is this normal for Mercedes or did the dealership forgot to change the oil when I got it serviced?

Last edited:

XEG12

I have noticed that the reading can vary quite a bit so I carry spare oil but only use it if I see a reading at or below the minimum.
As for what to get I just find the local Mercedes dealer ... (they are all round europe)