Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie thinking of buying new

Deckard

Hi Folks. We currently have a 2019 T6 Highline Camper. We love the camper aspect of it but the drive doesn't quite live up to our expectations. I think it puts us off using it a bit as we have much nicer cars we can use. Hence, we're looking at buying a MP - and, as there are so few 2nd hand models around, we're thinking we may have to take the plunge and order a new one - at least that way we can also get the cream or beige leather we prefer. It will mean losing one of our cars (my A5 Cabriolet), so it has to be a good drive.

So, I'd welcome any advice before I go and talk to the Dealer.

How do you all get on with the fact that the sliding door appears to be on the wrong side of the vehicle ?

What extras do you consider important - I normally go for an upgraded stereo (the stereo in my T6 is very poor !) - Is it worth it in the MP ?

The factory fitted awning appears very expensive - would an after market one be a better option ? (We also use a 'Drive Away' for longer stays but rarely connect it to the van due to the hassle every time you want to go somewhere.

I thught I'd pushed the boat out buying the T6 - but this will be half as much again :oops: We'll be living on bread and water for a while !

I was just going to stick with the standard wheels - do members commonly upgrade or buy after market ?

Webbah

Hi Folks. We currently have a 2019 T6 Highline Camper. We love the camper aspect of it but the drive doesn't quite live up to our expectations. I think it puts us off using it a bit as we have much nicer cars we can use. Hence, we're looking at buying a MP - and, as there are so few 2nd hand models around, we're thinking we may have to take the plunge and order a new one - at least that way we can also get the cream or beige leather we prefer. It will mean losing one of our cars (my A5 Cabriolet), so it has to be a good drive.

So, I'd welcome any advice before I go and talk to the Dealer.

How do you all get on with the fact that the sliding door appears to be on the wrong side of the vehicle ?

What extras do you consider important - I normally go for an upgraded stereo (the stereo in my T6 is very poor !) - Is it worth it in the MP ?

The factory fitted awning appears very expensive - would an after market one be a better option ? (We also use a 'Drive Away' for longer stays but rarely connect it to the van due to the hassle every time you want to go somewhere.

I thught I'd pushed the boat out buying the T6 - but this will be half as much again :oops: We'll be living on bread and water for a while !

I was just going to stick with the standard wheels - do members commonly upgrade or buy after market ?
I can't help you with the sliding door as I am in Switzerland, but in my case I was very close to buying a California and ended up buying an MP after test driving both numerous times. You can find my thread here on the forum with details. The difference in quality and handling is like night and day! I do have the Airmatic suspension though, and apparently this is not available in the UK? I also have a fully spec'd out 300d 4matic with nearly every option (it just happened to be what was in stock and I couldn't resist). One thing to note, if you order a custom MP new you likely won't get delivery until the end of next summer. This was the main motivator in me buying a stock MP that popped up online at a local dealer. It was the color I wanted inside and out and had the primary options I couldn't live without:

- Standing heater
- "water" heater - Note this is misleading from German translation. It does not heat the water in the living area, but instead is used to heat the engine in winter and the cabin. Includes a special remote control so you can do this from inside the comfort of your home.
- 4matic
- Upgraded audio and all driver "Assist" options
- Airmatic (again not sure available in the UK)
- AMG pack, Night Pack

The Westphalia Markise is bulky and large and doesn't have a rubber seal to prevent rain from entering near the cabin. I took mine off before delivery but had to pay for it as it was already optioned with the MP. The better option is the Fiamma F35Pro with the rubber seal. I am having this painted Canvasite Blue like my MP and will be installed in a week.

I also go camping in some remote areas off-grid quite often so I installed a 320 watt solar kit. I also wanted a porta-potti, but with a nice hidden way to store it that wouldn't take up precious cabinet space. So I bought the box with cushion that attaches to the seat rails which allows you to use it as storage, a seat for kids while dining, or put the porta-potti inside hidden away. Part number:

QALCHF288023851031

Finally, in order to take showers using the rear attachment I bought the shower kit and the privacy tent that attaches to the rear tailgate when opened.

You won't regret the swap! I traded in a Tesla Model 3 Performance and was concerned about daily driving as well!

Deckard

I can't help you with the sliding door as I am in Switzerland, but in my case I was very close to buying a California and ended up buying an MP after test driving both numerous times. You can find my thread here on the forum with details. The difference in quality and handling is like night and day! I do have the Airmatic suspension though, and apparently this is not available in the UK? I also have a fully spec'd out 300d 4matic with nearly every option (it just happened to be what was in stock and I couldn't resist). One thing to note, if you order a custom MP new you likely won't get delivery until the end of next summer. This was the main motivator in me buying a stock MP that popped up online at a local dealer. It was the color I wanted inside and out and had the primary options I couldn't live without:

- Standing heater
- "water" heater - Note this is misleading from German translation. It does not heat the water in the living area, but instead is used to heat the engine in winter and the cabin. Includes a special remote control so you can do this from inside the comfort of your home.
- 4matic
- Upgraded audio and all driver "Assist" options
- Airmatic (again not sure available in the UK)
- AMG pack, Night Pack

The Westphalia Markise is bulky and large and doesn't have a rubber seal to prevent rain from entering near the cabin. I took mine off before delivery but had to pay for it as it was already optioned with the MP. The better option is the Fiamma F35Pro with the rubber seal. I am having this painted Canvasite Blue like my MP and will be installed in a week.

I also go camping in some remote areas off-grid quite often so I installed a 320 watt solar kit. I also wanted a porta-potti, but with a nice hidden way to store it that wouldn't take up precious cabinet space. So I bought the box with cushion that attaches to the seat rails which allows you to use it as storage, a seat for kids while dining, or put the porta-potti inside hidden away. Part number:

QALCHF288023851031

Finally, in order to take showers using the rear attachment I bought the shower kit and the privacy tent that attaches to the rear tailgate when opened.

You won't regret the swap! I traded in a Tesla Model 3 Performance and was concerned about daily driving as well!
Thanks - I was expecting a wait - but not for a year ! I'd best get started soon then.........

Grand Tourismo

Welcome along Deckard :Welcome:
Would you consider a pre-owned vehicle or a stock list vehicle maybe? that would get you rolling sooner.

I can't comment on the driving experience in comparison to the T6 but I can in comparison to the A5!
The best way to describe the experience is to imagine a very "sporty van" or a tall and slightly heavy car...but absolutely nothing like a standard panel van.

I wanted the cream leather and light floor but I was buying 2nd hand and as such I had to accept what was available. I am happy with the black leather and light floor as a compromise.

Good luck in your journey :Thumbs up:

Steve B

Welcome, agree with the comments so far by Webbah and GT. I think the easy way to sum the California and the MP (in my opinion and based on three friends who have newish VW's) is the VW is a slightly better camper and the MP is a slightly better driver. We use ours as a daily driver, and not regretted getting rid of an Audi euro box. Low multi storey car parks are the main issue, often have to find an open air one which can be a pain.

We bought one that was pre spec'd (there was still up to a 6 month wait over 2 years ago), so awning came with it, many threads on awnings on here, but its how you will use the MP is the biggest factor. The roll out with Thule side panels works for us, but we don't do weeks away, we do short stays so don't need the drive away type.

TMC

I ordered our new MP from Mercedes dealer in January. The delivery date we were given was December 22nd! The most recent update is that 'there are lots of issues with vehicle manufacture - not just chips - but we are hoping December 22nd is still on target"!

We have a very low mileage black MP (less than 5000 miles) which we bought second hand to fill this season only. Previous owner didn't use it! It is black with beige leather and dark floor. Well spec'd. It will be available mid October at a realistic price (somewhere between £45 and £48k depending on my homework). Let me know if you want more details.

Last edited:

Deckard

I ordered our new MP from Mercedes dealer in January. The delivery date we were given was December 22nd! The most recent update is that 'there are lots of issues with vehicle manufacture - not just chips - but we are hoping December 22nd is still on target"!

We have a very low mileage black MP (less than 5000 miles) which we bought second hand to fill this season only. Previous owner didn't use it! It is black with beige leather and dark floor. Well spec'd. It will be available mid October at a realistic price (somewhere between £45 and £48k depending on my homework). Let me know if you want more details. You can text me on 07774 445465.
Thanks TMC - that sounds interesting. I'll send you a text tomorrow to get more details.

Deckard

Welcome, agree with the comments so far by Webbah and GT. I think the easy way to sum the California and the MP (in my opinion and based on three friends who have newish VW's) is the VW is a slightly better camper and the MP is a slightly better driver. We use ours as a daily driver, and not regretted getting rid of an Audi euro box. Low multi storey car parks are the main issue, often have to find an open air one which can be a pain.

We bought one that was pre spec'd (there was still up to a 6 month wait over 2 years ago), so awning came with it, many threads on awnings on here, but its how you will use the MP is the biggest factor. The roll out with Thule side panels works for us, but we don't do weeks away, we do short stays so don't need the drive away type.
That's pretty much how I suspected it might be. We won't be using it for very long stays - mostly a week at most and lots of use as a day van or overnight. So the compromise on the Camper side would be well worth it for a better Drive. We'll still have a Range Rover for an everyday car, but we want a camper that actually encourages us to use it - we don't really feel that way about the T6, despite it being very enjoyable to use on site or when parked up. We drove it to Cornwall this summer, it was OK but not what we're accustomed to - and the passenger seat is very uncomforatble - we're probably being far too fussy and critical (a bit spoilt maybe), but you only live once !!

Deckard

Well, I've got an appointment at a Main Dealer to have a test drive this weekend. Evidently there are some new, ready built, MPs available !! Just a question as to whether any of them meet my requirements - and, of course, the prices.

The Salesman I spoke to mentioned that future builds will only be 300s, no more 220s - seems odd.

Another question please - Do you normally sleep in the bunk, or use the seats out flat ? And, do you all use 'toppers' ?

TMC

In truth, we often use both. Neither are especially generous in their width. The top bed is very comfortable, having a kind of sprung mattress. In my view, the bottom bed (which is very easy to use) def needs a topper of some description. If we are staying anywhere for two nights or more we almost always inflate the driveaway awning. This provides loads of space to throw things into whilst we get beds set up, especially helpful if its raining and you want to keep everything dry.

Interesting what you say about the 220s. I think ours drives really well; its very comfortable to ride in. Its not the kind of vehicle I feel the need to throw around corners at speed and doesn't feel at all underpowered even fully laden

Grand Tourismo

Well, I've got an appointment at a Main Dealer to have a test drive this weekend. Evidently there are some new, ready built, MPs available !! Just a question as to whether any of them meet my requirements - and, of course, the prices.

The Salesman I spoke to mentioned that future builds will only be 300s, no more 220s - seems odd.

Another question please - Do you normally sleep in the bunk, or use the seats out flat ? And, do you all use 'toppers' ?
Very exciting news! I think you will have a great time.!

Marc o Polo

Slept the first night on a topper (over the seats) and the bed becomes really comfortable. Just flattening the seats and testing without the topper and their fine until you need to stretch out and sleep for the night. I agree with others here you do need some sort of topper for sleeping on downstairs. I have a 220, It is beyond "adequate" for me, in all honesty it is great. Absolutely no complaints.

Deckard

Slept the first night on a topper (over the seats) and the bed becomes really comfortable. Just flattening the seats and testing without the topper and their fine until you need to stretch out and sleep for the night. I agree with others here you do need some sort of topper for sleeping on downstairs. I have a 220, It is beyond "adequate" for me, in all honesty it is great. Absolutely no complaints.
Thanks - we always sleep 'downstairs' in our T6 - it was very uncomfortable/unbearable without a topper (and a few blankets underneath) but we didn't fancy clambouring up into the bunk, or getting down in the middle of the night !

Grand Tourismo

Thanks - we always sleep 'downstairs' in our T6 - it was very uncomfortable/unbearable without a topper (and a few blankets underneath) but we didn't fancy clambouring up into the bunk, or getting down in the middle of the night !
There are other posts on here showing owners using a very neat foldaway aluminium ladder for the 2nd floor accommodation block if that helps.

Deckard

There are other posts on here showing owners using a very neat foldaway aluminium ladder for the 2nd floor accommodation block if that helps.
Thanks, yes, I saw one of those in another thread - looked a bit of a lump to have to carry around all the time - on the other hand, it'd be handy to use the bunk and keep it made up, rather than have to keep making and unmaking it downstairs. Even a ladder wouldn't help in my T6 - it will involve clambering over the front seats all the time.

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
I'm really curious about the potential availability of new MPs....been trying to find a VAT Qualifying or new one for a while with no luck - how did you get on?

Deckard

I'm really curious about the potential availability of new MPs....been trying to find a VAT Qualifying or new one for a while with no luck - how did you get on?
There weren't any new cars available, despite what I had been told previously. They were only accepting new orders for the V300 AMG on something like a 6 month lead time - it would mean paying an extra £7-8K for things I don't really want. So I'm looking at the 2nd hand market now.