Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MBAC software update

DPS20K

Hi all. Has anybody in the UK managed to get a dealer to update the MBAC software on their facelift Marco Polo ( with the MBUX system)? 2 different dealers are telling me there isn’t an update available despite the phone app saying there is and you can get it free of charge from your dealer. I have read on here about a couple of people who have had it done, but I think there were not in the UK.

Webbah

I have done this. Some dealers are either lazy or simply just don't know the process. They need to use the STAR diagnostic tool to apply the update. I also had them update many other things while there as I was hovering over his shoulder while he was doing them. Was crazy to see that there are something like 40-50 modules that can have firmware updates! I had my standing heater updated, transmission remapped, and others in addition to updating MBAC to version 2 from V1.

Marc o Polo

Thanks Webbah, without people like you on here, new MP owners (like me) wouldn't have a clue as to what's available. We have had nothing from Mercedes aftersales. Local dealer didn't seem to know what we were talking about, (MBAC v1 to v2). They are really muddled and seem to lack knowledge on even basic stuff which is so disappointing. As for standing in the area when they do this work, no way would they allow you to watch their fumbling - you might be tempted to assist or, worse, learn something. Wish I could say we have first class support but that is not my experience particularly locally.

Last edited:

Webbah

Thanks Webbah, without people like you on here, new MP owners (like me) wouldn't have a clue as to what's available. We have had nothing from Mercedes aftersales. Local dealer didn't seem to know what we were talking about, (MBAC v1 to v2). They are really muddled and seem to lack knowledge on even basic stuff which is so disappointing. As for standing in the area when they do this work, no way would they allow you to watch their fumbling - you might be tempted to assist or, worse, learn something. Wish I could say we have first class support but that is not my experience particularly locally.
My pleasure! I'm also a new MP owner myself, but researched heavily on many forums. The dealer I bought the MP from had no idea what I was talking about and gave me the same story as you. I had requested to be sure my MBAC was at V2 during delivery and of course it was still on V1.

I then went to the Service Center and explained the situation and he was kind enough to explore all available updates with me using the STAR diagnostic tool (basically a tablet that connects via OBD2 wirelessly). Each module needs to be done separately. Some are fast and others take time. The MBAC update took close to an hour if I recall. I wouldn't accept no for an answer and request them to show you on the STAR display that no updates are available for your MP. They won't be able to do that without updating. I'd also have them do the MBUX and standing heater updates at minimum during the same visit. And if you experience a "clunk" when downshifting at low speed then be sure to have them remap your transmission firmware too. Once all that was done my MP was much much better and drove smoothly. And I now had all the new features of the MBAC v2.

Important to note, once the V1 to V2 upgrade is completed you will need to completely remove the MBAC app, delete the bluetooth connection in your phone, and then download and do the pairing from scratch again. If you don't you won't see the new features and the app will behave strangely. They likely won't know this either so trust me on that!

Marc o Polo

Wow, Webbah, Thank you for being so helpful and generous with your knowledge. I am so very grateful.

Feel I can deal with their appalling aftercare confidently knowing all of this. Others on here will be equally appreciative too, I do know that much!

On reflection, I think my local dealership are too embarrassed to allow anyone to witness their lack of competence and skill as we are told to take a seat in the waiting room. Will try elsewhere...

Sincerely, many thanks for this valuable insight. Marc.

DPS20K

Thanks for the replies so far. So, is there nobody in the Uk that has had the upgrade successfully installed?

Marc o Polo

Hi DPS20K,

No, I haven't had the update, but have been promised this can be done in UK - for personal reasons I am not available to take my MP yet to try. Webbah advises what needs to happen to achieve update........ Also, I am told that dealers must check "laptop/tablet" before physically touching anything on the vehicle, - knowing that should help, too.

DPS20K

Just an update on this topic. After three attempts, with two different main dealers, I finally managed to get updated to the newer version of MBAC software on our MP. Now has the roof opening feature on Bluetooth from phone.

TommyMP

Hello everyone, I’m from Italy, new here and a new fresh owner of my MarcoPolo, arrived in the end of September. Reading this last comments about the update of the system, I have some thought that I would like to share and ask your opinion: I had some problems from the beginning of the purchase: 1)The fridge was shutting of randomly by itself (problem solved by doing this update) .. 2) The leisure Battery was not charging properly when I tried to charge it from 230V house plug (problem partially solved replacing some component). The leisure battery is unfortunately still charging very very slowly in the final cycle (from 80 to 100%.. it take like 30 hours). After this update I’m really happy about the possibility to set the timer for the heater (mostly the only change I notice), but I can’t understand why the level % of the leisure battery now jump from 10 to 10 (60-70-80-90) and I can’t read the single points-per-cent anymore, that was quite useful. Is this happening to you too?

In the manual I red that is better for the life of the leisure battery to charge it to full 100% at least one time per month. But I’m having some trouble because it’s taking hours and hours and I can’t understand if this is normal. I don’t think so, probably a reasonable time should be a maximum of 24 hours. Do you have any experience on this.

Sorry for my English, I hope you can understand my points. :)

DPS20K

Hi Tommy and welcome. Yes, after the software update I now also only get battery readings at 10% increments. I also find it takes a very long time to get the leisure battery charged above 90% and I’ve never managed to get it above 95%.
Interesting that you say you had a fault with the fridge cutting out that has been fixed by the software update. I had a similar issue with the tap stopping working but then starting again if you turned on the main light with the Bluetooth app. I am hoping the software update has fixed this, but haven’t had a chance to test it yet.

Webbah

The final stages of a charge take longer than the mid stages of batteries. I'm plugging mine in almost daily as I have a plug in my garage, however I recall that the first time to 100% when new took some time. If you've read my other posts I "work from MP" on a daily basis and deplete the battery down to 40-60% regularly but it now charges to 100% during fairly short drives. I also have 320 watts of solar though which helps when the sun is out.

I highly recommend having Mercedes to do all the firmware updates. This is done using their STAR diagnostic tool (a tablet with a bluetooth OBDII dongle). The guys at my Service Center are super cool and let me watch as they checked my MP. There are over 51 modules that have firmware which is pretty crazy. I had them do the following with priority as some of these take 1-2 hours just for a single update. The MBAC update took about 1.5 hours alone.

- MBAC update (ensure version 2 is installed with latest update). You will need to uninstall the app on your phone and delete the bluetooth pairing and set it up again to see the new functionality and be sure there are no bugs.

- Transmission remapping. My MP had a clunk downshifting into 2nd or 1st gear. Remapping this with firmware for the MP solved the issue. I've heard of others with this issue so recommend it"s checked.

- Standing heater firmware

- MBUX firmware

- All Driver Assist firmwares

If they have time hopefully they'll check the rest and update anything that really needs it. Pushing them likely isn't the best approach, and I befriended them with sharing all the geeky tweaks I've made to my van and showing them how to do them. Like adding all the road camera radar's as POI's to MBUX, and others. Perhaps I'll do a post on all my modifications at some point.

Marc o Polo

As always Webbah your posts are helpful and informative really appreciate that! Thanks for letting us all know..

Hi TommyMP and welcome..

WillC

Hi Guys
I have now had the MBAC update, which means you can open roof from mobile if you want,but also set a time for aux heating to come on. Of course there is a but coming, I can program the heating for each day at a set time, but until I get into the vehicle the heating won't start up. If I am in the vehicle it will start at at set time, if i lock and leave the vehicle it will continue to run. Any ideas what is stopping it running at start time if not in vehicle. My reason for using this function, I leave early each morning at the same time, in the winter van will be warm and widows frost free if I use aux heating. I do have option of standing near vehicle and using the "on" button on mobile to switch aux heating on manually but of course I have to remember each day to do that, or for some reason the blue tooth doesn't want to play that morning. Any help gratefully received.

Eurotraveller

As some of you I also have some issues with my leisure battery.
I own a 2021 MP (MBAC V1).

It discharges at 1.1V per day when unplugged, according to the MBAC display and all gadgets powered off. Looks like there is a leakage current. The leisure Battery is not charging properly when connected to 230V house plug, after two weeks charging the highest reading is 90%, last days only charging 2% a day. After a drive of approximately 200km, lights on to activate the alternator, its has charged 20%.

I’ll ask the dealer to update MBAC to version 2 and to test if there is really a leakage current.

TommyMP

Hi Guys
I have now had the MBAC update, which means you can open roof from mobile if you want,but also set a time for aux heating to come on. Of course there is a but coming, I can program the heating for each day at a set time, but until I get into the vehicle the heating won't start up. If I am in the vehicle it will start at at set time, if i lock and leave the vehicle it will continue to run. Any ideas what is stopping it running at start time if not in vehicle. My reason for using this function, I leave early each morning at the same time, in the winter van will be warm and widows frost free if I use aux heating. I do have option of standing near vehicle and using the "on" button on mobile to switch aux heating on manually but of course I have to remember each day to do that, or for some reason the blue tooth doesn't want to play that morning. Any help gratefully received.
Hi, I read your post and maybe we can help eachother.. after the update I was very happy to see that the chance to set the time “start-stop” of the aux heater was been added... but unfortunaly this function is not working: the stop set works quite well, close to 7/10 times... but the start set is very bad, most of the time it doesn’t start at all (maybe 1-2 time on 10 ,it works)(Completely antrustable if you want your car want the next morning, or you’re spending the night out and you want to save some battery so you would stop and restart the heater automatically in the middle of the night) even if I set 3 sets at the same time of the day trying to force the program. It dorsn’t start by hitself. I tried probably everything (I went to the dealer this monday to verify if there is any update available that maybe can fix the problem but they confirmed my MP is at the last version of each component that can be updated. I really can’t understand what’s wrong.
If some of you can try to set the aux heater Just a couple of mins later and see if it starts heating properly, and explain the prodedure. Maybe I’m missing something, even thogh the way is so easy. :(
thank you and have a great time!!

XEG12

Don't know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but today I got my MBAC update - it is now a recall / warranty item it seems (it was listed with the aux battery cable recall).
Firstly - it does not work at all now - pressing the MBAC tab on the MBUX header usually does nothing (but occasionally shows a blue screen with a vignette round and then ... nothing until I navigate somewhere else - I tried re-setting up the MBAC app as described by Webbah in the hope I might get at the options that way ... but it does not see the MBAC connection). Anyone else had this? Any solutions? Right now all the MP features such as popup roof, fridge, heater are "bricked"

Also Webbah talked about various other firmware updates, but my mercedes dealer said they can only do them if I report a problem and Mercedes say apply firmware update x to solve the reported problem, otherwise Mercedes will not pay