Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

M-BENZ recall re software - emissions.

Ridgeway

I had a letter from Mercedes yesterday about a software recall to do with emissions on my June ‘18 registered M/Polo.
Wondered if anyone else has had this work carried out? It states that in the ‘unlikely event the EGR valve is damaged following the work it would be replaced FOC’. Also goes onto say that it could result in an increased use of Adblue after work has been done and that the update offer is valid for 2 years from date of letter.
Whilst the van runs perfectly I wondered if it could fail future MOTs of the emissions are too high if the software update isn’t carrier out?
My gut feel is to leave it as it is as all is good! If anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful to hear it.
Thanks

WILLH

I had the same myself this morning and would be interested to hear peoples views

My wife had a 2014 Beetle affected by the VW emissions scandal and after hearing the views of others we refused to have the software update.

GeorgeG

I had a letter from Mercedes yesterday about a software recall to do with emissions on my June ‘18 registered M/Polo.
Wondered if anyone else has had this work carried out? It states that in the ‘unlikely event the EGR valve is damaged following the work it would be replaced FOC’. Also goes onto say that it could result in an increased use of Adblue after work has been done and that the update offer is valid for 2 years from date of letter.
Whilst the van runs perfectly I wondered if it could fail future MOTs of the emissions are too high if the software update isn’t carrier out?
My gut feel is to leave it as it is as all is good! If anyone has any experience of this I would be grateful to hear it.
Thanks

I’m a bit cynical about the manufacture’s response to the recent emissions scandal centered around VW dieselgate. The recent letter admits that as a result of pressure from the German government Mercedes have introduced software updates for Diesel engine management. I’m not just concerned about possible damage to the EGR, which is generally the main weakness regarding Diesel engine reliability and the reason I only buy petrol cars, but also the possible deliterious effect on performance and mpg.

My MP is a V220 which I consider powerful enough for my needs and I generally drive in Eco mode, occassionaly selecting ‘sport’ on long hills. However, if the remapping reduces power and I end up driving mainly in sport mode I’m sure it will have consequences for mpg.

I’m going to trawl through a few car forums to look for them likely effect of such remapping and to see if it can be enforced on owners. My worry is that the dealers will insist on carrying out the update when the vehicle is in for servicing. I’m guessing that their advice will be that they can’t carry out engine diagnostics correctly without installing the update. We’ll see!

Explorer

I made the update 2 months ago. I have not noticed any apparent differences. I will check on the diesel and Adblue consumption later this spring.
From what I have read, the engine warm-up phase is a bit quicker and the Adblue consumption a bit higher (might depend on when the MP was made).
It applies only to MP's with the emission standard Euro 6b.

Mercedes has not yet released any documentation about the specifics of the software update, only that it will be released soon.
See https://www.daimler.com/innovation/diesel/recall-faq.html

Anyway, I made an RDE (Real Drive Emission) test before the update and will make a follow-up test in a week or so.
Main concern is the NOx emission (which this whole update is about).

Ian

Had the fix applied during the first service. They did inform me they were doing it. I didn’t try to argue.

The Adblue consumption seems to increased very significantly despite me driving the van in exactly the same manor. Apart from that there seems no other difference.

Epigram

I have just seen this.
My May 2019 Marco Polo has consumed 15 litres ad blue in 4200 miles.
Presumably It’s had the software update and that’s the result! :(:mad:

Last edited:

Ian

I’m sure before the update consuption of adblue was approx 1litre per thousand miles. It’s now somewhere between double or triple that.