Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking to Buy - Advice Please!

Hello all, spending many hours researching the MP after nearly buying another California but realising MP deals at present make it significantly cheaper. However one thing we really like in the VW is the concertina blind that pulls forward to cover the aperture for the upstairs bed. We often take friends with us and it gives each couple privacy from one another with the blind closed. Also it shuts out the daylight from upstairs if you’re sleeping downstairs and don’t want early morning light. Does the MP have any optional extra that can cover the aperture in the same way? (Similar thing to the safety net for kids but solid material rather than netting).

Also how do owners find the blinds for blackout effectiveness? The Cali ones work really well as they completely shut out light but on the MP they are just roller blinds. Also it appears there’s no blinds in the windscreen pillars or magnetic blinds for the front door windows. Is the MP one piece fabric solution effective?

Mattress topper for downstairs bed, any recommendations? Factory or after market?

I’m thinking the 220 model will suffice, had the 150 Cali. Anyone disagree and feel the 300 is essential?

Smart Phone Interface, is this necessary, what does it do other than Apple car play? I like to stream music and use google maps for satnav. But the Merc has some satnav in it as standard?

Awning - Do people generally expect these on campers? We had one on the VW and rarely used it. But we don’t want to affect resale. Thoughts?

Cream leather vs Black? I love the cream but don’t really like all the cream plastics and cream fabric in the pop up roof. If we opt for black leather we’re unsure from the brochure what colour plastics we get and what colour fabric the pop up roof will be. Does anyone know? The new brochure seems to suggest black leather comes with pale grey plastic in some pics (p23 of brochure showing horizon version), we would be having the version with the sink unit and amg line and are assuming the cream plastics stay to match the sink unit which has cream doors? Is this irrespective of black or cream leather seats? Is there any choice for the lining fabric of the pop up roof?

High end sound system - listed separately to Burmeister which is available on all other models but not an option on MP. Who makes it for MP? Does it sound any good? Is the standard set up sufficient?

Is the 360 degree camera worth it?

Sorry for all the questions and hopeful if some good helpful replies
Paul.

Steve B

Hi - A lot there! Have a look back with the search function and I remember the sound systems and comand systems being discussed many times, plus the major issues with the MP are all well documented. The questions that are new that I can answer (all my opinion that others may not agree with) as my MP is 2018/19 model:
  • The VW is a better campervan, but the MP is a much better driver vehicle (I wouldn't swap for a VW as we use ours as a car). You pay for the cult following for the VW
  • The blinds are good enough for privacy, but are not totally blackout, the front blind is not great but most people get an insulated external cover from rainbow or the like.
  • No blind as std or option to buy to separate the upper sleeping area
  • Mattress topper needed for lower bed, loads of info on here about this
  • I use the awning with Thule curtains, but some have drive away awnings, depends on how you use yours
  • Colour scheme is the same only the floor and leather colour can change. We went for black, cream looks great but I was worried about marks etc. Leather cleans well so probably nothing to worry about.
Things to read about are - blisters on the roof, dealer knowledge, micro switches on the roof, leisure battery care/life/usage. Hope this helps, I don't know much about the new 300 engine or the upgraded comand. The heater selection confusion we all had is gone, hot air heater is now standard.

Thanks Steve. Very helpful. What brand and how much is that screen cover you have? And also the cover around the roof exterior, presume that makes it nice and dark inside?
Shame about the lack of a lid to separate the up from down.
Some sort of drive away awning sounds a better bet to me than the factory one that doesn’t seem to sit as well on the MP vs the VW and only provides basic function.
Blisters on roof. Hmmm, need to check that out!

Thanks again.
Paul.

SteveR

I'd pretty much agree with Steve B's excellent feedback above. I'd add that in my opinion, yes the 360 camera is worth it. I love mine and it's definitely helped a few tight manoeuvres in the past.
Regarding awnings; we have the factory roll out Thule but also a Kampa inflatable driveaway. We find that we have the best of both worlds to suit either short trips or longer stays or where we need daytime storage. In case you are unaware the driveaway fixes via keder strip to either the roof channel if you have no rollout awning, or the actual rollout awning itself if you do

Main issue I've personally experienced is the roof blisters but don't over fret. They're covered under warranty and are not urgent in any structural way so you can use your van and book in during a convenient time to be addressed should you ever see this issue

Thanks Steve, very helpful.

I'm now waiting to hear back about the interior colours. It seems the black leather comes with grey plastics vs the previous cream, but my question is are the kitchen cupboards and pop-up roof lining also changed to grey to match. Pending answers. Personally I'll be going with beige leather (which the brochure says is unavailable on the MP but dealers have confirmed this is a mistake) if the black comes with a mix of cream and grey elements. It would really help if MB could produce a factually correct brochure!

Steve B

Unless its changed for the current models (or my memory is going from when we bought), you get the same colours inside including the roof bellows. The only choices in the MP (not Horizon) are; Black or cream leather and light or dark floor, the AMG gets a carbon dashboard effect over the sport All the units in the back are all the same colour scheme, the roof headlining, door cards and the blinds as well. Agree with Steve R that the blisters are annoying but not a concern, warranty covers it and even if it didn't, it has no effect visually as you have to be close to see them.

Screen covers are on this site from campervanbits, its just over £100, the roof wrap is just over £300, both work well and I have no issues with light, top or bottom of the van.

Hope this helps

Brilliant, thanks Steve. Waiting to hear back today from MB. I’m fairly sure I’m correct in saying the latest one has black dash above and below rather than black top and cream under as before. At least that is what is pictured. And this is what has led me to believe there may be other changes but as u say I suspect it’s wishful thinking on my part that they have changed the cupboards and roof canvass to grey from cream. I’m so torn because the VW latest interior is absolute spot on for me colour scheme wise but in most other areas the MP wins over. And I have loved my Mercedes cars in the past so have no doubt I’ll prefer the drive and the feel of it. Should probably stop fussing over minor details and just go for it lol

pumpsmynads

Thanks Steve, very helpful.

I'm now waiting to hear back about the interior colours. It seems the black leather comes with grey plastics vs the previous cream, but my question is are the kitchen cupboards and pop-up roof lining also changed to grey to match. Pending answers. Personally I'll be going with beige leather (which the brochure says is unavailable on the MP but dealers have confirmed this is a mistake) if the black comes with a mix of cream and grey elements. It would really help if MB could produce a factually correct brochure!

Would you please share what your dealer replies with regards to cream. I want cream interior but only black available according to brochure, etc..

Hello, the latest brochure has been corrected I believe. We have ordered cream interior having seen one in the flesh and the interior was certain designed with cream in mind and black as an alternative option. Looks stunning.

standardgirl

Hello, the latest brochure has been corrected I believe. We have ordered cream interior having seen one in the flesh and the interior was certain designed with cream in mind and black as an alternative option. Looks stunning.

We are placing our order next week (pending appointment confirmation at the dealership) and have currently decided to go with black leather even though we really prefer the cream color. I had a VW Passt 10 years ago that had light grey leather seats and with me wearing my jeans most of the time, those seats became rather blue. So we're just concerned about the cream leather, but gosh they do look stunning!

In my experience of cream leather seats, warm water on a sponge with the tiniest spot of cif applied to the sponge cleans all the blue dye and greasy shine that leather develops. But whatever colour you choose it’s still a gorgeous vehicle

Webbah

This is an old thread, but I was searching for something else and stumbled into it. For treating all leather I have loved using Gyeon Leather Cleaner Mild followed with Gyeon Leather Shield. This is a leather ceramic coating, easy to apply, and prevents stains! I've had no issue with denim color transfer, baby puke, dog drool, etc on white leather seats in my Tesla and now the cream in the MP. I reapply the Leather Shield once a year and that's it. Any messes happen I use the Leather cleaner Mild and the soft brush it comes with. Then a micro fiber towel and seats look like new.