Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Little things you like/dislike about your MP

Deckard

I've had my MP since Oct having been a T6 Highline owner previously. Not done many miles or stayed away in it yet, but we're enjoying it when we do get out.

Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread about the many little things we like/dislike (but mostly like, to keep it positive) about our vans.

I'll kick off with the Headlights - I just love the way they shine around corners and automatically dip the main beam when required. So neat !!

Webbah

Should be an interesting thread! I also love the headlights!

Like:

- Driving feel. Super van to drive and feels more like driving a car than a "van"
- Headlights while driving in the mountains, forest, twisty roads at night. Love!
- Electric roof and tailgate
- Auxiliary Heater and Standing Heaters. Absolutely love them in winter!
- Safety systems, especially the hidden ones like protection against wind. I've noticed a few times when driving at speed in high wind the van auto correct itself (using brakes, etc) so the van kept a straight line and there was no fear of swerving.

Could use improvement:

- Roller blinds or something for the front windows
- Faucet in sink that has a removable head
- Option to add a true hot water boiler
- Table hinge and leg. These are not the best quality and start to come loose and then rattle
- Roof blisters and other roof issues (mine is warped and being replaced)
- 12v socket in rear should be always "hot" so we can keep secondary cooler boxes, or anything else in the storage area with power
- AirMatic suspension. Should have some minimum customisation options or at least a setting to lower the van for lower parking garages. 3rd party air suspensions do this like VB and Goldschmidt
- Wifi tethering for MBUX. Specifically the ability to connect MBUX to your own wifi hotspot!
- Ability to check and update firmware via app for MBUX and MBAC and other modules. Going to the service centre ever time is a real pain.
- A front window on the roof canvas should be standard
- An integrated inverter with the 230v socket. At least a factory option to add this in. Ideally with 1-2,000 watts.
- Better insulation behind the plastic and cabinets instead of bare metal.

Deckard

Should be an interesting thread! I also love the headlights!

Like:

- Driving feel. Super van to drive and feels more like driving a car than a "van"
- Headlights while driving in the mountains, forest, twisty roads at night. Love!
- Electric roof and tailgate
- Auxiliary Heater and Standing Heaters. Absolutely love them in winter!
- Safety systems, especially the hidden ones like protection against wind. I've noticed a few times when driving at speed in high wind the van auto correct itself (using brakes, etc) so the van kept a straight line and there was no fear of swerving.

Could use improvement:

- Roller blinds or something for the front windows
- Faucet in sink that has a removable head
- Option to add a true hot water boiler
- Table hinge and leg. These are not the best quality and start to come loose and then rattle
- Roof blisters and other roof issues (mine is warped and being replaced)
- 12v socket in rear should be always "hot" so we can keep secondary cooler boxes, or anything else in the storage area with power
- AirMatic suspension. Should have some minimum customisation options or at least a setting to lower the van for lower parking garages. 3rd party air suspensions do this like VB and Goldschmidt
- Wifi tethering for MBUX. Specifically the ability to connect MBUX to your own wifi hotspot!
- Ability to check and update firmware via app for MBUX and MBAC and other modules. Going to the service centre ever time is a real pain.
- A front window on the roof canvas should be standard
- An integrated inverter with the 230v socket. At least a factory option to add this in. Ideally with 1-2,000 watts.
- Better insulation behind the plastic and cabinets instead of bare metal.
Has anyone tried to add more insulation ? Whilst the MP is much quiter than my T6 I'd still like less road noise from the rear - maybe carpets would also help.

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
Great thread all!

Have to admit that the insulation could be better - there is a thread that shows an audio upgrade with additional sound insulation - quite a lot of work but actually really simple to do when the van is in build.

I do like the split tailgate - the only drawback is that the bed extension is a pain to lift up - how about a lifting strap?

Agree on the inverter and front window for the pop-top plus the ability to update software remotely via MBUX/MercedesMe.

Being fussy, I'd appreciate a heated steering wheel...just like our other wagons (even the Hyundai i10 has one!)

Deckard

On the -ve side - the Mercedes Me app is pretty pointless - and the price they ask, just to activate the remote control, is ridiculous.

Webbah

On the -ve side - the Mercedes Me app is pretty pointless - and the price they ask, just to activate the remote control, is ridiculous.
I personally use the app every day, although I use the MBAC app more often for the standing heater and to check the leisure battery levels, etc. Then again I work from van daily so maybe that's why.

Method7

Good:
Closing the windows with the key fob.. It’s a bit naff but I use it quite a lot…
Headlights are superb..
Manual roof and manual rear seat (in the horizon ) so pleased about this..
Split tailgate
Electric rear doors.
engine/gearbox - the 220 has ample performance, smooth and quite efficient when driven gently.
The AMG frock

not so good:
Scuffing and bucking steering when manoeuvring.
(not so) easyPak tailgate is tedious..
Tailgate window rocks but has no internal operation option???
Diesel - I hated having to buy a diesel car.. I’m still not sold on it regardless of my comments above
Diesel
Diesel
Diesel

Deckard

Good:
Closing the windows with the key fob.. It’s a bit naff but I use it quite a lot…
Headlights are superb..
Manual roof and manual rear seat (in the horizon ) so pleased about this..
Split tailgate
Electric rear doors.
engine/gearbox - the 220 has ample performance, smooth and quite efficient when driven gently.
The AMG frock

not so good:
Scuffing and bucking steering when manoeuvring.
(not so) easyPak tailgate is tedious..
Tailgate window rocks but has no internal operation option???
Diesel - I hated having to buy a diesel car.. I’m still not sold on it regardless of my comments above
Diesel
Diesel
Diesel
By 'quite efficient' what sort of MPG are you getting ?

SteveR

I like most things on my MP. And generally agree with the above positives.
I'll add a negative though: Undoubtedly the worst implementation of a satellite navigation system I've ever seen!

Deckard

I like most things on my MP. And generally agree with the above positives.
I'll add a negative though: Undoubtedly the worst implementation of a satellite navigation system I've ever seen!
I do like the Navigation display - where it shows the road layouts, in 1st person view, as you come to junctions, slip roads etc. The controls for it are pretty clunky though.

Method7

By 'quite efficient' what sort of MPG are you getting ?
43.4 I think has been the best.. this involves two towns and motorway/duel carriageway. My old V280 v6 would do about 28 at best most of the time it was about 17.

Deckard

43.4 I think has been the best.. this involves two towns and motorway/duel carriageway. My old V280 v6 would do about 28 at best most of the time it was about 17.
That's very good - best I've had, despite getting a full house of 'green' on the economy display and an '11 mile bonus' in a trip of about 50 mies, was just over 35mpg - according to the computer readout. I generally get very good economies from my driving - with up to 60 mpg, on a run, from my Audi A5 2.0D droptop.

No that I'm too bothered - we don't use it as a daily drive - just surprised me that it was so low - overall mpg is 34.1 but that is mostly 'inherited from when I bought it in Oct 21. Car was fully serviced just before I bought it.

Method7

It’s really difficult to drive efficiently, mentally exhausting and very slow. I just wondered what it could do, there wasn’t much traffic and conditions seemed good for it. I set a 60 mph max so it could be better, I bet 55 would improve that quite a lot but I think I would rather jump under a train than drive at those speeds…

Steve B

For me we intend to keep the MP for any years so that says quite a bit about my views. I think fuel economy is pretty good for the vehicle type, long journeys in the summer I can get 45 mpg, my current 12.2k miles ave is 38.2 mpg. MB are great at extracting the cash after three years, extended warranty to cover all the electric/auto stuff (V class bits only though), Comand traffic and remote access renewal. I've not even tried for a cost for the map update, probably astronomic. Many of the good points have been listed already (the cross wind protector was a surprise to me and worked)

So I am a fan, but 1st world niggles are:
  • Headlight auto beam is good but often slow so I get flashed quite a bit. My last Audi's was far better
  • Wiper sensitivity, doesn't cope well with light drizzle.
  • Comand was out of date when installed, no DAB or apple carplay/android connection which was just wrong, I know its cured with the latest edition.

Deckard

For me we intend to keep the MP for any years so that says quite a bit about my views. I think fuel economy is pretty good for the vehicle type, long journeys in the summer I can get 45 mpg, my current 12.2k miles ave is 38.2 mpg. MB are great at extracting the cash after three years, extended warranty to cover all the electric/auto stuff (V class bits only though), Comand traffic and remote access renewal. I've not even tried for a cost for the map update, probably astronomic. Many of the good points have been listed already (the cross wind protector was a surprise to me and worked)

So I am a fan, but 1st world niggles are:
  • Headlight auto beam is good but often slow so I get flashed quite a bit. My last Audi's was far better
  • Wiper sensitivity, doesn't cope well with light drizzle.
  • Comand was out of date when installed, no DAB or apple carplay/android connection which was just wrong, I know its cured with the latest edition.
The lack of DAB really is naff - not so worried about carplay as I tend to use a usb stick anyway - but no DAB means no Test Match Special which is essential for me in the Summer - I have set up the BBC Sounds app on my phone so I can use that linked to the car - so I can get around it - shouldn't have to though.

Not yet had an issue with the main beam dipping in time or the wipers. Map updates are stupidly expensive for what they are - you culd buy a Sat Nav for that price.

Chris

Likes - exterior look of AMG, interior cabin, quality of internal finish, driving ease, electric door and roof..... Everything really!
Dislikes -
1.Rear shelf/bed extension has to be lifted all the way up before you can put it down flat, so have to remove stuff from shelf.
2.Front cabin curtain is fiddly.

Deckard

Have been using the van a little more lately - must admit that I've found the rear view and 360 camera extremey useful - had a couple of tricky, and quite long, reversing situations to navigate - would have been almost impossible without the cameras. Very definitely a 'like'.

The heated seats have also been getting a lot of use.

I've also found that the seats spin round very easily (the T6 was a right pain and you could only do the passenger side). So that's a big +ve.

So far very happy with our MP - and, more importantly, my wife loves it - she found the T6 extremely uncomfortable. The MP is in a different class. It is a little bit of a compromise in terms of the 'camping' side of things - not so much storage - but the visibilty, when you're in the back, is far better - making it a nicer place to be - excellent as a day van in the winter.

DanToffee

Method7 : remote can be configured to open the tailgate window rather than the door. Things I like: lights, kitchen quality, drive, rear window
Don’t like: lack of DAB, P doesn’t engage when ignition turned off until key removed ( my wife’s A class does without removing the key)

Steve B

Have been using the van a little more lately - must admit that I've found the rear view and 360 camera extremey useful - had a couple of tricky, and quite long, reversing situations to navigate - would have been almost impossible without the cameras. Very definitely a 'like'.
I think I have said this elsewhere before; I've got a regular parking space in a tight underground parking area, I have reverse park and to fold the mirrors in half way through the manoeuvre. I totally rely on the 360 camera's, and it works well

Have only one gripe about the Marco. Having moved from VW Californias and Caravels both the wife and I miss the double from arm rests. Other than that we love the MP. Forgot to mention the front window blinds. Wife hates them!