Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LHD Marco Polo

Onslow

As we are relocating to the UK from France this year we hope to take our LHD MC (bought in France) with us. We shall have to obtain a certificate of mutual recognition in addition to the certificate of conformity. This means physically changing the headlights to dip left (hasn't got smart lights so can't do it that way); the foglight has to be changed over. Then the speedometer. The digital display can be changed to mph but not the analogue one. Does anyone have any thoughts on any of the above? There may even be someone out there who needs a set of LHD headlights!

Method7

I don’t know but changing the Speedo seems unnecessary I have friends who have Japanese import motorbikes that just have a sticker on the Speedo glass to mark 30, 60 and whatever... I don’t think the law states you must measure your progress in MPH.. in fact I’m not sure you need a Speedo at all.

Onslow

I don’t know but changing the Speedo seems unnecessary I have friends who have Japanese import motorbikes that just have a sticker on the Speedo glass to mark 30, 60 and whatever... I don’t think the law states you must measure your progress in MPH.. in fact I’m not sure you need a Speedo at all.
Thanks for this. Ultimately the problem is registering the car with DVLA and you have to have the certificate showing that the changes have been made. There are options for the speedo and one is a sticker over the dial but it has to be professionally applied and I suspect that getting access to it will be a lot of work. Twenty-five years ago we did all this with a Renault Espace but didn't then have to change the speedo, just the headlights.

Method7

Would it not be cheaper to sell you MP in France and buy a UK spec one here rather than spend all that money converting it and still suffer the fact that it’s resale value has reduced simply because it’s LHD?

I guess there reasons why you want to do this what is the model and age of the vehicle you are planning on importing

Onslow

Would it not be cheaper to sell you MP in France and buy a UK spec one here rather than spend all that money converting it and still suffer the fact that it’s resale value has reduced simply because it’s LHD?

I guess there reasons why you want to do this what is the model and age of the vehicle you are planning on importing

Onslow

It's three years old. I think we would lose quite a bit more money by selling and buying in the UK. We intend to keep it for a long time so the resale value is less important.

Method7

Ahh I see, yes I don’t think you could get a UK model of a similar age. I guess you could source all the parts you need from the breakers yard and get a local mechanic to install them. Do you not have a time limit before you have to complete the work? I seem to remember my brother-in-law took a uk car to France and he had it for several years before he had to sort it out.

Onslow

Ahh I see, yes I don’t think you could get a UK model of a similar age. I guess you could source all the parts you need from the breakers yard and get a local mechanic to install them. Do you not have a time limit before you have to complete the work? I seem to remember my brother-in-law took a uk car to France and he had it for several years before he had to sort it out.

Onslow

Well, I think it's fifteen days to actually notify Inland Revenue! After that, you start to receive a daily fine. It's a bit complicated by the fact that Inland Revenue and DVLA need to know (the former for any tax to pay I think). Breakers' yard could be a good idea. It depends whether I have to change the whole headlight unit or just the bulbs. On our Espace it was the whole unit.

I also have LHD and my speedo is calibrated in KPH, ideal for me as I spend a lot of time on the continent .
When back in UK I use a ‘speedometer’ app on my mobile phone which provides an analogue type clock face with the needle activated by a GPS signal. It’s FREE. No mobile data connectivity required, works a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onslow

Thanks for this info. Is your car registered in the UK and which way do the headlights dip (perhaps you have smart lights)? The rpoblem is registering the car, not with knowing what speed I'm going (or not)!

I purchased the vehicle as second hand and am second owner.
I have all the paperwork from new which shows it was imported direct from Westfalia in Germany and registered in the UK prior to delivery with all taxes and paperwork completed.
Since the vehicle spends a majority of the year abroad I have beam benders when in UK.
Sorry I am unable to help you further

Steve B

I had an old ex military land rover defender for many years, which had its speedometer in kph and passed its MOT's. You get used to it and just used 50/70/90 as the markers. It went so slowly though that 30 mph limits were the only ones to watch, and the needle fluctuated so you couldn't tell exactly what speed you were at!