Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery charging.

herbert

I have a problem charging the leisure battery with the engine, the status bar graph remains black.Charging with an external 250V source the control display works normally.
Shortly after switching on the engine the charging bars are initially correct, the first and last bars are black then after a few seconds all the bars turn black and remain black while the engine is running. The battery voltage status indicator seems to be working correctly showing that the battery is being charged from a low of say 12.8v to 13+ depending of the drive duration. Parked up with 13.2V showing, at the end of 4 or 5 days with nothing switched on the battery voltage shows 12.8V.
So, do I have a battery problem or a central control unit problem?

All help greatfully received. Thank you.

TheDon

I have a problem charging the leisure battery with the engine, the status bar graph remains black.Charging with an external 250V source the control display works normally.
Shortly after switching on the engine the charging bars are initially correct, the first and last bars are black then after a few seconds all the bars turn black and remain black while the engine is running. The battery voltage status indicator seems to be working correctly showing that the battery is being charged from a low of say 12.8v to 13+ depending of the drive duration. Parked up with 13.2V showing, at the end of 4 or 5 days with nothing switched on the battery voltage shows 12.8V.
So, do I have a battery problem or a central control unit problem?

All help greatfully received. Thank you.
Sounds like it’s not holding charge. Possibly time for a new battery?

herbert

Thank you, the battery was replaced by Mercedes 10 months ago so should not have a problem but it is always possible.
There is still the problem of all the bars turning black at engine start up but working correctly when connected to 250v AC.I think I will remove the battery and have a garage test it.

polo advantures

Thank you, the battery was replaced by Mercedes 10 months ago so should not have a problem but it is always possible.
There is still the problem of all the bars turning black at engine start up but working correctly when connected to 250v AC.I think I will remove the battery and have a garage test it.
Can you let me know how you get on with this problem,I have the same problem with the display bars the first and last are black but when you drive it goes black
Cheers

herbert

Can you let me know how you get on with this problem,I have the same problem with the display bars the first and last are black but when you drive it goes black
Cheers
I apologise for my delay in responding. First off I still have the problem, so let me go through what I have observed. With the external eletric applied everything is working correctly, the battery is charging and the visual rate can be seen on the controller. After a day I removed the external supply and noted the battery voltage was 13.2v. I then switched on the fridge to position 2, for me that is the normal setting. I checked at regular intervals and after 3 days the battery votage was 12.6V, that seems to be OK. Switching on the engine the controller charging rate bars showed the first and last bars black, as soon as I heard the changover relay operate all the bars turned black. The initial charging voltage was 14.8v dropping to around 13.6V as the journey continued. At the end of a 60 mile round journey, engine off the battery voltage was 13.2. and remained so for 3 days when I had to use the MP again. My conclusions are, the controller display works fine when connected to the AC, but not when the engine is charging. The battery holds a charge and the battery is charged by both car engine and AC. I do not have a circuit diagram for the charging circuit but assume there may be a separate circuit for each of the two charging conditions (AC and Car) positioned near the battery and that the one for the engine supplied voltage is not working correctly.

polo advantures

Yes I am get the same thing at first I thought,I needed a new leisure battery (only had the van 12weeks it's a 68 plate). Everything is work fine. But the bars do go down over 2 days with the fridge on, so I will get a new battery so thanks for the reply