Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance

GeorgeG

I
I understood that a motor home gets reduced road tax but there are several conditions need to be met, I think the MP would meet these since it’s something like a fixed 2 ring stove and a 6 foot bed.. I’m not certain of the details as a friend of mine was considering converting a sprinter, maybe it needs a window in the back as well.

The real value in this classification is the reduced road tax and insurance. Unfortunately the horizon will not pass, otherwise I would be all over this.
I think you’ll find it’s still caught by the over £40,000 (list price) VED premium of £310 until year six.

Method7

I think you’ll find it’s still caught by the over £40,000 (list price) VED premium of £310 until year six.

I don’t know, but yes maybe. Long term though, it must be worth the effort. I guess this could also effect resale value and desirability.. especially when potential buyers compare it to the California, which I believe is classified as a Motor home.

Epigram

GeorgeC is correct. (as usual !)
The “Department for Transport Leaflet Converting a Vehicle to a Motorhome” relates to registering as a motor caravan (DFT’s inconsistency not mine) on the V5C.
Unfortunately DVLA leaflet V355/1 does not draw a distinction between an MPV and a motor home. Anything over £40 k (list price inc extras) registered after 1/4/2017 gets caught. Even new Cali owners!
The only way to avoid the extra £310 VED is to have a vehicle registered before 1/4/2017.
I thought I would at least benefit from the MPV classification when I amended my multiple ferry ticket but was told despite meeting the length and height constraint etc. and being an MPV on the V5C, the ferry company (P&O) would still classify if as motorhome because I could cook and sleep in it. I had to pay an extra £20. I assume the same logic applies on the channel tunnel.
Method 7, as a Horizon owner you might get away with it especially if you tell them the roof’s stuck!

Carol

Just picked up your comments about being charged an extra £20 because you could cook and sleep in your van

I have just purchased some multitrip tickets with DFDS . The ticket just states that the MP is a tall car ,
Last year l did the same at least 10 trips and no questions were ever asked,
Prior to being a MP owner , l had a JAS VW T5 conversion, and DFDS also listed that as a tall car even though l told them it was a campervan

Epigram

Thanks Carol,
I was putting the MP on the last of our multi trip tickets and I didn’t argue too strongly.
In view of your DFDS experience I will be more questioning when we buy our next multi trip tickets because the summer crossings will be MP and the winter ones by car.
I wonder whether it was because the MP was newly registered and not coming up on their system and they entered it manually.