Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Induction hob instead of gas

Blindpew2

I currently caravan and in the last 10+years of doing around France have used my gas bottle about once. We have tend to utilise the electric hook up. I’m thinking of buying an MP, having an induction hob installed and saving cupboard space by removing the gas bottle.

Method7

I see - I wonder if a electric hookup could support such a thing - a single portable induction hob consumes ~2000w 10A...

Blindpew2

Seen them on VW conversions so I wouldn’t anticipate any issues but thanks for highlighting the power consumption

Blackrat

I certainly wouldn’t have mine converted as it takes away the ability to have a brew when not on mains.
Having said that we hardly ever use the gas hob as it’s a ridiculously expensive way of cooking.
We use a free standing electric two burner hob which you can buy cheaply from the likes of Argos.
We mostly use it in the awning. If your paying for hook up you might as well use it. We find that if you have a minimum of 10 amps they won’t trip the supply as long as you don’t have anything else on at the same time. I’m sure you’re aware of this as you are an experienced caravanners.

Last edited:

Method7

No issues just as long as you consider what conversion was done to support the induction hob.

"The main downside of an induction cooktop for a van is that it uses a lot of power. You’ll need solar panels, a powerful inverter and a couple deep-cycle batteries to run your stove. This also means you’ll have to think hard about your electrical setup."

M

Marilyn

VIP Member
Has anyone had their MP factory fit gas hob changed to electric induction?
No we haven’t but we only use electricity while on site. We have an electric hot plate & also cook mostly with an electric pan/oven from Lakeland which is brilliant

Blindpew2

@Marilyn yes this! We have a large pan, probably what you would call a pizza pan with lid, which we use almost exclusively for mealtimes when caravaning. So easy to use and clean afterwards!

Based on the useful advice about power usage of induction hobs I think it would be pointless swapping the gas hobs out. Even though we are unlikely to ever use them it seems easier to just have a half sized gas bottle and utilise what little space we have saved.

Epigram

If you want to cook electrically instead of gas and, bearing in mind the power limitations, you might consider one of these:

Probably useful with bigger pans due to the risk of gas heat damaging the cooker tops which are not indestructible.

Steve B

We tend to use the van gas hob for the kettle and a simple camping stove outside for any cooking that smells or splashes. Have been using my ridgemonkey recently, its great - toast to fry-ups, does it all!

Method7

I always thought a oven would be better than a hob - but chose a Horizon over the kitchenette because we love cooking and eating whatever we can find locally which usually involves garlic and loads of oil... and lots of smoke and heat - not really what you want in your bedroom...

but an oven to bake pasties or just keep them warm while traveling or surfing would be fantastic.