Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook ups

Sarahjane

Hi everyone, we are using our awning and a hookup for the first time next week. Can I ask when using a hookup I assume it goes directly into van? Can you then pass an extension from the van into the awning to use camping low power microwave without damaging van electrics or do you put hook up directly into awning. Also is the tendency on a hard standing to pitch awning on the gravel using hard ground pegs or onto the adjacent grass. Thank you so much in advance. Ps if you see us we will be the ones who have not got a clue

Steve B

Hi - The hook up goes into the side of the van next to the water intake, the blue plug can be a bit stiff when removing it, you need to press (up or down, can't remember which way!) the small blue lever to release the plug from socket. You can run an extension lead to your awning and run your camping microwave. Its a bit breezy this time of year so if you mean the wind out awning, make sure its secured with tiedown straps like the Thule ones. I prefer to pitch on grass but its up to you.

1681910267211.png

Sarahjane

Hi - The hook up goes into the side of the van next to the water intake, the blue plug can be a bit stiff when removing it, you need to press (up or down, can't remember which way!) the small blue lever to release the plug from socket. You can run an extension lead to your awning and run your camping microwave. Its a bit breezy this time of year so if you mean the wind out awning, make sure its secured with tiedown straps like the Thule ones. I prefer to pitch on grass but its up to you.

View attachment 2866
Thank you … we have a drive away awning that will be well tethered!! So am I understanding it is ok to have an extension lead plugged inside van and passed through to awning. I really worry about getting it wrong! Thank you for your help.

Steve B

Yes, plug the extension into the socket by the sink inside the van and run out through the door or window. There is a small circuit breaker just below the socket that catches people out, make sure its open. You need an EU adaptor to turn it into a 3 pin socket. I'm sure you'll have a great time. My first camping trip out this year at the weekend, so looking forward to that.

StevieG

Hi everyone, we are using our awning and a hookup for the first time next week. Can I ask when using a hookup I assume it goes directly into van? Can you then pass an extension from the van into the awning to use camping low power microwave without damaging van electrics or do you put hook up directly into awning. Also is the tendency on a hard standing to pitch awning on the gravel using hard ground pegs or onto the adjacent grass. Thank you so much in advance. Ps if you see us we will be the ones who have not got a clue
Hi Sarahjane, we went through lots of these ‘first-timer’ questions a couple of years ago and are still learning! Here’s our set up currently on Loch Lomond - Vango Galli III awning. Pitch is 8m long and 5m wide but we had to park across it as the width of the van plus awning is well over 5m. Sites can be variable about allowing the awning to spread onto the grass but we’ve found that pegs into grass seems ok as long as the tent itself (and the MarcoPolo) are on the hard standing. You’ll always need some pegs into the hard standing so get some of the specific ones. With the Galli we’ve now found best to throw the long straps over the MP roof and not bother with a drive away strip onto the C-channel - this gives a better headroom in the hallway between MP and main tent. Electrics exactly as SteveB said - last year we actually converted the Euro socket to a U.K. 3pin socket - pretty easy job; search on this site - I’ll try and find link later. Then you can use a normal household extension lead (with USB sockets!).
Enjoy it!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_8091.jpeg
    IMG_8091.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8095.jpeg
    IMG_8095.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13

StevieG

Hi Sarahjane, we went through lots of these ‘first-timer’ questions a couple of years ago and are still learning! Here’s our set up currently on Loch Lomond - Vango Galli III awning. Pitch is 8m long and 5m wide but we had to park across it as the width of the van plus awning is well over 5m. Sites can be variable about allowing the awning to spread onto the grass but we’ve found that pegs into grass seems ok as long as the tent itself (and the MarcoPolo) are on the hard standing. You’ll always need some pegs into the hard standing so get some of the specific ones. With the Galli we’ve now found best to throw the long straps over the MP roof and not bother with a drive away strip onto the C-channel - this gives a better headroom in the hallway between MP and main tent. Electrics exactly as SteveB said - last year we actually converted the Euro socket to a U.K. 3pin socket - pretty easy job; search on this site - I’ll try and find link later. Then you can use a normal household extension lead (with USB sockets!).
Enjoy it!
Steve
Here’s the link to @SteveR ’s original post for anyone else keen to switch to 3 pin socket

Thread 'Internal UK 3-pin 240v Socket'
https://www.marcopoloownersclub.com/threads/internal-uk-3-pin-240v-socket.821/

matt p

Hi SJ. We use a splitter which enables you to connect to hook-up and run additional extension to awning. All done externally, so no need to leave doors/windows open. Available on Amazon. Happy Camping! Matt.

Attachments

• 66AA5E26-1E63-4F6C-A65B-310F6CD80212.jpeg
    66AA5E26-1E63-4F6C-A65B-310F6CD80212.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 6806A863-F0DA-43D3-AB9A-607274794C58.jpeg
    6806A863-F0DA-43D3-AB9A-607274794C58.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 4

Sarahjane

Enjoy it!
Steve
Thank you for your advice. We have had day trips and overnights off grid but for some reason finding this trip more daunting. We have two planned Yorkshire coast then the lakes. Sites are booked so I am sure all will be well
Hi SJ. We use a splitter which enables you to connect to hook-up and run additional extension to awning. All done externally, so no need to leave doors/windows open. Available on Amazon. Happy Camping! Matt.
thank you , we have one of those

Sarahjane

Here’s the link to @SteveR ’s original post for anyone else keen to switch to 3 pin socket

Thread 'Internal UK 3-pin 240v Socket'
https://www.marcopoloownersclub.com/threads/internal-uk-3-pin-240v-socket.821/
Enjoy it!
Steve
Thank you for your advice we have done overnights off grid and day trips but for some reason feel a bit daunted by this longer stay. We have booked two sites one on yorkshire coast and one in Lake District. Have ordered some hard ground pegs and think we are now ready to go