Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal UK 3-pin 240v Socket

SteveR

For anyone considering swapping out the OEM 2-pin internal mains socket for a UK 3-pin socket I can confirm that it is an easy 5 minute job no more difficult than changing a plug (remember those days :))

The only issue I had was that the new socket that I ordered, I thought was black but arrived grey so I shall swap again once I source a black unit. These are the steps I took:
1. Unplug mains lead and switch off at isolator switch
2. Gently lever off the switch cover surround that goes around the three units (Light switch, USB socket and mains socket)
3. Remove the four screws holding the mains socket in place
4. Remove 2-pin socket and replace with UK 3-pin (make sure to use a backing box to cover the inside electrics)
5. Screw new socket in place and replace trim
6. Test with a socket tester

There are loads of sockets available. Just google 'c-line socket'. I used...
Socket and Backing Box

MP240v00001.jpgMP240v00002.jpgMP240v00003.jpgMP240v00004.jpgMP240v00005.jpgMP240v00006.jpg

Epigram

Thanks SteveR.
I was hoping someone would post a picture with the cover plate removed.
I have not been happy with the two pin plug adapter arrangement because some adapters don’t connect the earth if inverted.
I therefore usually check with a socket tester kept in the van and left on the socket adapter.
Changing the socket over to a UK plug is a safer solution.
A black three pin socket is now on order and I can get my socket tester back.:)

The cost of the socket is a few pounds and not much more than an adapter. Why can’t Westfalia or dealers fit a UK socket to UK cars?
PS I have uploaded a rear view of the cover plate so that the location of clips and lever points can be seen to ease removal.

Attachments

• E3A0B755-D454-4C39-B725-03AA8808EEC6.jpeg
    E3A0B755-D454-4C39-B725-03AA8808EEC6.jpeg
    977.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Steve B

Agree with epigram; there is no real cost to using a three pin when installing, why it wasn't done is strange.

I've got a suspicion that the standard USB charger is just a c line blanking plate drilled out and a charger mounted on it.

Would like to replace the roof one with a double too but haven't got a scooby how to remove it!

Epigram

For the roof one, I'd just go with something like this
In view of the (potential) problems with roofs and closing a free standing splitter is probably a better bet.
Then you only need to worry about being strangled when jumping out of bed at night!