Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help! I cant get my electric roof down!

Nick Pye

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a procedure that I'm not observing?

I just got my van. I've put the electric roof up and now it won't come down!

Any help please? I was taking it out today for the first time, but now can't move!

Roy C

There is a specific process as per the user guide but assuming you are following this then there is a button for emergency operation in the cupboard under the gas cooker behind the sidewall on the left-hand side.

Nick Pye

There is a specific process as per the user guide but assuming you are following this then there is a button for emergency operation in the cupboard under the gas cooker behind the sidewall on the left-hand side.
Thanks Roy. That’s very helpful info. I did get the roof down eventually. I think the leisure battery didn’t have sufficient charge. I’m not really sure if that was the cause but after leaving the van on charge for an hour, the roof played ball. I haven’t dared to try it again but will tomorrow after 12 hours of charging from the mains.

Roy C

The roof did come down after a while. I think it was that the leisure battery wasn’t charged enough. I haven’t tried since but have left the charger on TIL tomorrow when I’ll try again.
In the troubleshooting section on the roof lack of charge for the auxiliary battery can prevent the roof operating. Did you check the level of charge on the display of the central control panel? If voltage drops below 10.5v then some functions are switched off, including the pop up roof operation, until recharged to 12.5v or more.

Nick Pye

In the troubleshooting section on the roof lack of charge for the auxiliary battery can prevent the roof operating. Did you check the level of charge on the display of the central control panel? If voltage drops below 10.5v then some functions are switched off, including the pop up roof operation, until recharged to 12.5v or more.
Thanks Roy. I did check and it opened ok, but could I get it down again? Not on your life. I hope it’ll be ok today.

Nick Pye

Hope your roof is all okay Nick, was it low battery voltage causing the problem?
I think it was Braysaway. And the fact that to close the roof requires the ignition, but not the engine on, and two successive presses of the down arrow on the control panel. I disconnected the mains power a day or so ago and will see if the charge has been retained and the roof goes up as well as down later!

terry1956

Hi, there have been a number of reviews and reports on german sites of the leisure battery giving up due to the charging system not being very good and cooking the battery, It looks like leaving the battery on charge for long periods kills the charging unit, and that each day the hook up must be removed for a few hours. maybe your battery is not up to the job. is there not a manual override to bring the roof down so you can get the van to a workshop.

mptripsaway

Hi, there have been a number of reviews and reports on german sites of the leisure battery giving up due to the charging system not being very good and cooking the battery, It looks like leaving the battery on charge for long periods kills the charging unit, and that each day the hook up must be removed for a few hours. maybe your battery is not up to the job. is there not a manual override to bring the roof down so you can get the van to a workshop.
Is there anything else that we should know about the MP that you haven't shared yet Terry? For somebody who does not own or have any first hand experience of the MP you really do spout some rubbish! Show us the evidence for your claims or reference the websites/forums from where you gained your valuable knowledge.

Nick Pye

Hi Terry, Can you let me have a link please. It may come in useful if I have the problem.

terry1956

hi, https://www.motor-talk.de/forum is the german site, lots of info on that. as to Braysaway you come across as a salesman nothing more, nothing less. so give it a rise ok. I don't spend money on anything without getting the facts and as I am engineered trained I look at things from that aspect, not on how pretty things look.

mptripsaway

My posts are either fact which neither judge or praise the MP or I make clear that information is "In my opinion" and based on my first hand experience as an owner of the MP. I am extremely happy with my MP so as you might expect my opinion is going to be a positive one. I also respond to other members questions in an honest way and try to provide useful information, take it or leave it.

terry1956

Braysaway.don't get personal with me, I don't like it. And I will not put up with it. There is a fault with the mp in the charging system that is leaving people unable to even close the sliding door or start the engine to charge the batteries. It looks like the zig unit being used is poor quality and destroying the batteries. On a van that relays so heavily on electricity to have a fault in that system is a worry.you stated I talk rubbish. Know just facts. Mercedes drop in price like stones, well this statement is backed up by checking the European used market. Mercedes dealership are not that great when things go wrong, backed up by my having to take a new Mercedes back to the dealer after the engine ripped itself to bits in Switzerland and having to take mb to court to get my money back. The poor chap above gets his new toy, and already its broken,what checks did mb carry out on the van before sending it out. If I do purchase a mp, it will be with my eyes wide open and hopefully armed with facts, not wearing rose tinted specs, or full of "Ho look at me, I can make a list of crap I take with me in my first camper" bs. So deal with the facts, good and bad, and we will all get on.

mptripsaway

No problem Terry, you carry on unchallenged spouting your rubbish with zero facts to back it up. You come across as a very sad and angry man who has nothing but a negative attitude towards everything that has been posted on this site. I have just posted my last contribution so the floor is yours....Have fun and enjoy your MP if you ever buy one.

Roy C

It should be noted that fortunately Nick's roof wasn't broken and he just hadn't got the process right for lowering the roof. I am pleased for him and us prospective MP owners that it isn't a fault. By the way, Terry, I'm not picking sides but just correcting an incorrect fact so I hope you don't mind.