Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello Everyone

DevonToffee

We're looking to start more adventures in a campervan and doing the research for this significant purchase. So far it's down to VW Cali Ocean and the MP. Definitely don't want a white plastic box.
The Cali seems to tick an awful lot of boxes but there's a nagging issue and that's rust around the pop up roof. VW do seem to be in denial over the corrective action so can anyone confirm the MP doesn't have the same issue? Any other advise would be very welcome.

Dundry

I was parked next to a VW on my first trip away and the owner gave me a detailed account of his Cali rust issue. He bought it from new and he experienced the corrosion which he said was endemic. VW were apparently not accepting it as a recall but did fix it if an owner complained. He said he met one lady who VW tried to fob off as out of warranty. The issue was around a mismatch between the Alu and Steel interface on the pop top. I would hope this has ben solved for new VW's but look out if you are buying second hand. I don't believe the MP has the same mismatch of Alu/Steel but too early to say there is not a problem, I've only had mine a month. Someone was complaining on here about a squeaky roof on their MP but mine seems solid.

Ragga

When we did the same comparison, my bigger question was how does the reliability of the biturbo engine in the VW stack up against the Mercedes ?

BabaJen

It is not rust, it is galvanic corrosion, a totally different issue. I have had two Cali's with no problem. Any vehicle that has a noble metal meeting other metals suffer with the same issue. It is well documented on the Cali club forum.

It is also a disgrace that VW have not addressed the issue correctly but sadly that is not just VW, it is vehicle manufacturers full stop.

The MP is a fine vehicle but just listen to the gossip regarding Vito rust problems on previous generations and ignore them. It is a fine vehicle.

Ragga

Thanks for reply. What did you decide in the end and why?
Mercedes v250.
Three reasons
1) The 2.1 litre Merc engine is a well tried commercial engine, racking up large mileage’s with relatively few complaints.
2) I wanted black leather interior for its resilience when camping with two mid size dogs. This was standard in the Merc. Our previous 174 Calis light grey interior was a continual struggle to keep clean
3) The quality of the fit & finish

Since purchase
We have removed the standard chair “hammock”. The two Thule boxes we had in the Cali now fill this space, with one chair lying on top of the boxes in the lower boot area & the other in the upper section of the boot.
The upper bed is a little bit longer & more comfortable than the Calis. The fancy mattress support works well.
On recent trip to Strasbourg I’d say the Merc is more comfortable over the long distance.
We got the removable tow ball & a Thule bike rack to put on it. The bikes were stable & out of the wind when travelling at a brisk 70

DevonToffee

Mercedes v250.
Three reasons
1) The 2.1 litre Merc engine is a well tried commercial engine, racking up large mileage’s with relatively few complaints.
2) I wanted black leather interior for its resilience when camping with two mid size dogs. This was standard in the Merc. Our previous 174 Calis light grey interior was a continual struggle to keep clean
3) The quality of the fit & finish

Since purchase
We have removed the standard chair “hammock”. The two Thule boxes we had in the Cali now fill this space, with one chair lying on top of the boxes in the lower boot area & the other in the upper section of the boot.
The upper bed is a little bit longer & more comfortable than the Calis. The fancy mattress support works well.
On recent trip to Strasbourg I’d say the Merc is more comfortable over the long distance.
We got the removable tow ball & a Thule bike rack to put on it. The bikes were stable & out of the wind when travelling at a brisk 70

Katie

Should be no problems with any contemporary vehicle re rust. I remember owning cars whose bodywork had all been replaced by filler, but you don’t seem to see that nowadays.
Re the roof corrosion on the Cali - I just couldn’t buy a vehicle that had a known inherent fault, but that is down to my personality. I would have been constantly checking it, but I appreciate a lot of people have a more relaxed view to life’s minor issues.
Re boxes for storage - I have just removed the canvas bag from the back of the mp and grabbed a couple of spare plastic boxes we had in the garage, to put in the bottom. You gain loads more space and because they are quite shallow, the chairs go one on top of each box. I’ve left the lids off so we have easier access to the contents.
I’m finding a lot of enjoyment over nest building in the mp but for two people there is more than enough storage overall
I hope you enjoy whatever van you buy and have many happy travels