Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Habitation Check

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
I have just had a third party company carry out a habitation check on my 67 plate MP. The company I used was “Habcheck” who offer a nationwide franchised service. I am more than pleased with the service they have offered, but the engineer made an interesting point that I was unaware of and hence this post !!

He brought to my attention that the flexible gas pipe to the Gas Cylinder has a maximum life of 5 years from the date the pipe was made. Clearly on a 67 plate vehicle, this is not an issue, but it does mean for those people with very early Marco Polos (registered in 2017) you will need to have the pipe replaced within the next couple of years. I cannot believe that this will be part of the 4 year service schedule that MB will do based upon their apparent lack of understanding of the “conversion bit” of the Marco Polo !!

I hope this “heads up” helps other owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epigram

it would be worth asking Mercedes what their service checklist is for a Marco Polo and as you say I doubt they cover the camper element. I doubt there are any registered gas engineers in their dealerships for example.

RFT

I have just had a third party company carry out a habitation check on my 67 plate MP. The company I used was “Habcheck” who offer a nationwide franchised service. I am more than pleased with the service they have offered, but the engineer made an interesting point that I was unaware of and hence this post !!

He brought to my attention that the flexible gas pipe to the Gas Cylinder has a maximum life of 5 years from the date the pipe was made. Clearly on a 67 plate vehicle, this is not an issue, but it does mean for those people with very early Marco Polos (registered in 2017) you will need to have the pipe replaced within the next couple of years. I cannot believe that this will be part of the 4 year service schedule that MB will do based upon their apparent lack of understanding of the “conversion bit” of the Marco Polo !!

I accept that compared to the value of our vans the gas check is not unreasonable, however, for a simple gas only check it is very expensive. I've had a habitation check in the past that included the usual damp checking in a 28ft Burstner and it was less than this!

Paul Mc

Gas Safety Check
As my Marco Polo is now just over two years old, I decided to have a a gas safety check carried out by a UK gas registered engineer.
The engineer normally services motorhomes and caravans but said he couldn’t issue a gas safety inspection certicate because the installed system (standard late 2018 factory fit) didn’t meet current Uk gas regulations!
Apparently motorhomes and caravans must have bulkhead fitted gas regulators and a pressure testing/access point.
Although the MP gas bottle is in a bottom vented sealed housing, the engineer queried if the storage unit could protect the gas bottle for up to 20 minutes in a fire.
I can only assume that the gas regulations for small campervans such as the Marco Polo and VW T5/6s are different from those required for motorhomes and caravans.