Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge for Marco Polo horizon

James Dowler

Hello, I’ve got a horizon Marco Polo and would like to buy small fridge I can use for camping purposes, does anybody have any links to fridges they have or can recommend which retailers are best to go to. Thank you

tomasi

Hi there
I have the Dometic 18 model which is a perfect fit for the horizon as described on the YT video below, channel which I highly recommend (the owner is on the forum ! ). The only downside to this model is that the setting is manual, so there is no automatic adaptation to the temperature of the car. So if for example you have a setting set on the coller to obtain a perfect 5°C whilst your car is sitting in the shade, if the sun hits while you are away, the temperature in the cooler will raise due to the temperature rise in the interior of the MP. I would have enjoyed an automatic setting to a specific temp in the cooler which adapts to temperature of the air in the MP.

gvh

Hi All,

Having also just got a Marco Polo Horizon, I'm also looking out for a fridge. I'll check out the CDF 18 and add to the mix, but up until now, I've been considering this (Dometic CFX 28)....

at a whopping 560EUR+ or this (Mobicool MCF40)...

at about half the price..

Does anyone have any opinions as to the benefits of Dometic vs Mobicool? Or in particular on the model choice above?

Is a fridge really worth paying this much extra for........???

Defender1

We were able to get a compressor fridge freezer from Halfords - their own brand- it was under £200 from memory.

Method7

We have a Horizon and got a Dometic CombiCool it’s quite large, and sits on the floor of the van between front and rear seats, nicely and doubles up as a nice pizza table I will also fit in the boot but it’s too big to fit under the parcel shelf or in the boot with the bed set up..
Its a bit of a compromise for us since we often take a bell tent and move the fridge out of the van to set up base camp. It’s actually very good on all fuels, 12v 240v and gas and keeps the beers just right once it’s established, this can take 24 hours if you fill it from room temp.
It’s definitely better if you can fill it and leave it on for 24 hours before you need anything really cool. Once it’s established with a good mass inside it’s great. We often use water containers to make up any empty space. This had a double function. It’s a good thermo store and it’s refreshing - win/win.
Obviously it exhausts heat on all settings but on gas it exhausts the burnt gas, Co2 and I guess some monoxides which are much hotter so you need to be cautious about covering the cooling vents (with bedding) and keeping a window open a crack to vent the gasses.

pros:
1.it’s actually a fridge so can store perishable food products (oysters in our case ) for a couple of days. Processed products for much longer.
2. It’s large capacity means a family of 4 could survive for days maybe even a weeks on one fill if your cleaver.
3. Off grid options means it can be left on the gas anywhere. Or in the boot on 12v dunno how long that will last..
4. Mains power so it can be primed beforehand and left on the hookup power.
5. Makes a handy picnic/card table.

cons:
1. It’s quite large and once filled with beer for priming it’s quite a lump to move.
2. It won’t fit under the bed or the parcel shelf
3. Needs 24 hours and a good thermo mass to be truly effective.

Added a link: https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/outdo...c-coolboxes/dometic-combicool-acx330-_-260136

Last edited: