Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

FRESH WATER TANK

Churchill

Hello averyone
As a new MP Owner, I wanted advise about how often to empty the fresh water tank when the vehicle is not used.
I did read in the Brief Guide that its just a few days inactivity before water contamination may appear.
I see that chemicals are on sale as well to clean - but im a bit wary of using chemicals but open to advise
from the more experienced Owners.
thank you

Webbah

I use a product called "Dextra" to clean the tanks. I also use MicroPur for the fresh water and a Grey Water tank treatment additive. Water always tastes perfect. If I'm not actively using the tanks I dump them within 48 hours. Now that winter has arrived here in Switzerland I treated them with Dextra and will leave them empty. You definitely don't want anything to freeze and damage the pump or piping or that can be an expensive repair.

The service center also gave me a tip that using something from the pharmacy that sterilizes dentures is perfectly good for sterilizing the water tanks. I forget the name of it though. ;-)

Basically the process is like this:

1) Empty tanks
2) Fill water tank with 30 liter Dextra treatment solution
3) Let sit in fresh water tank for 24 hours
4) Use the sink tap to empty fresh water tank into grey water tank with Dextra solution.
5) If you used the shower tap also run the solution through this to sterilize the hoses and fittings briefly.
6) Let sit in grey water tank for 24 hours
7) Dump tanks
8) Fill fresh water tank completely and use sink water tap to empty into grey tank and flush all hoses, etc.
9) Dump both tanks and leave empty for the winter. Ensure pump runs dry (for a few seconds) so nothing freezes.

Churchill

I use a product called "Dextra" to clean the tanks. I also use MicroPur for the fresh water and a Grey Water tank treatment additive. Water always tastes perfect. If I'm not actively using the tanks I dump them within 48 hours. Now that winter has arrived here in Switzerland I treated them with Dextra and will leave them empty. You definitely don't want anything to freeze and damage the pump or piping or that can be an expensive repair.

The service center also gave me a tip that using something from the pharmacy that sterilizes dentures is perfectly good for sterilizing the water tanks. I forget the name of it though. ;-)

Basically the process is like this:

1) Empty tanks
2) Fill water tank with 30 liter Dextra treatment solution
3) Let sit in fresh water tank for 24 hours
4) Use the sink tap to empty fresh water tank into grey water tank with Dextra solution.
5) If you used the shower tap also run the solution through this to sterilize the hoses and fittings briefly.
6) Let sit in grey water tank for 24 hours
7) Dump tanks
8) Fill fresh water tank completely and use sink water tap to empty into grey tank and flush all hoses, etc.
9) Dump both tanks and leave empty for the winter. Ensure pump runs dry (for a few seconds) so nothing freezes.
This is really nice of you. Thank you.
I have not tried any of the above yet. But will do so soon.

i’m going to post a question about a back up battery. To see if other owners think this is a good investment or not.

I think I have lots more questions, but don’t want to bore you here. I should post them

thanks again

Webbah

This is really nice of you. Thank you.
I have not tried any of the above yet. But will do so soon.

i’m going to post a question about a back up battery. To see if other owners think this is a good investment or not.

I think I have lots more questions, but don’t want to bore you here. I should post them

thanks again
Happy I could help! I still need access to water in the winter (on snowboarding trips, etc) so I bought myself a "RinseKit Pod" with a 12v water heater option. This allows me to still have some way to wash myself up, etc, after a long sweaty day of snowboarding.

This way I don't risk the tanks or plumbing freezing in winter.