Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Floating an idea?

Grand Tourismo

Evening all, I just wondered if anyone was up for an MP meet up? Either an afternoon meeting in a picturesque location like a country house or maybe an overnight camp? Early September to get the better weather maybe?
Fully inclusive, past, current or future MP owners, Cali owners, M/home, whatever... meeting in an informal (and socially distanced) way....any takers or ideas?

Steve B

We were invited in previous years to the VW California Club gathering near West Bay, Dorset; we went in September 2019. There are a lot more VW's around and it was great atmosphere, unfortunately we had gale force winds and rain so it hampered the social element. Last years was cancelled due to Covid and I think if there was one this year we would have known. Campsites have been full of new 'staycationers' so getting on masse bookings currently is probably difficult.

Good thought though and doesn't stop anything here, but it takes some organising. Would be good to join a bigger event as MP numbers are low and spread across the country, if anyone on here is also on the California club forum they may be able to help?

Grand Tourismo

We were invited in previous years to the VW California Club gathering near West Bay, Dorset; we went in September 2019. There are a lot more VW's around and it was great atmosphere, unfortunately we had gale force winds and rain so it hampered the social element. Last years was cancelled due to Covid and I think if there was one this year we would have known. Campsites have been full of new 'staycationers' so getting on masse bookings currently is probably difficult.

Good thought though and doesn't stop anything here, but it takes some organising. Would be good to join a bigger event as MP numbers are low and spread across the country, if anyone on here is also on the California club forum they may be able to help?
Thanks for your reply Steve, I'll give it some thought....I was thinking of a more "light" meet up this year than an organised event or rally with another club. Just a destination to aim for and get a few of these excellent vehicles together.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
Steve's right, campsites just about everywhere are rammed. We've just recently traveled through the country gradually making are way up to the lakes to visit friends. We pre booked a couple of nights but couldn't find availability for the in-between. We ended up wilding and using pub car parks.

It's mayhem down here right now, hopefully it will quieten down in a couple of week when they all go home.

Many campsites seem to be extending their season to make up for lost revenue, perhaps a winter meeting may be appropriate especially as I now have the Webasto:)

Grand Tourismo

OK so that's three of us so far (maybe TFC) can I ask your rough location Marc so we can start to centralise a meet point?

ClaireDe

I went to the 2018 meet in Dorset with the Cali owners and it was great fun and luckily great weather. It was really useful meeting other Marco Polo owners but also talking to the Cali owners as well. I can see from the Cali club forum that that they have a meet at Slimbridge again in Sep. We (Marco Polo owners) were invited to the Slimbridge one last year but no invite this year...... But I can definitely recommend it based on my experience and the Slimbridge site looks good.

A small/casual gathering of MP owners would be nice as well.

Grand Tourismo

OK so if I read right we have interest from Bristol, N Yorks, Northamptonshire, The South West, Devon (SBD?) and Southampton...can I suggest that somewhere in the Cotswolds would be a fairly central as well as picturesque location for most to reach?

Grand Tourismo

I went to the 2018 meet in Dorset with the Cali owners and it was great fun and luckily great weather. It was really useful meeting other Marco Polo owners but also talking to the Cali owners as well. I can see from the Cali club forum that that they have a meet at Slimbridge again in Sep. We (Marco Polo owners) were invited to the Slimbridge one last year but no invite this year...... But I can definitely recommend it based on my experience and the Slimbridge site looks good.

A small/casual gathering of MP owners would be nice as well.
Hi ClaireDe,
I am not against joining up with others if you guys all want to do that? (and they want us with them of course!)...but I am not really the organising type.
Do you know anyone over there that we could message maybe?
Cheers

Grand Tourismo

Denfurlong Farm, Far Peak Campsite and Cotswold Camping are all or were dog friendly sites we have used in the last 4 years but lots could have changed in that time. All informal with varying facilities and suitable for group booking. Have a peruse and I'll answer any question if I can. BTW @Grand Tourismo it's North West Devon:)
I remember roughly where you are located SBD, one of my favourite spots in the UK :Thumbs up:

I will try and pin down a location/date/programme this weekend with you all