Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Faulty Table Leg Trap

Epigram

A while ago the leg on the table became excessively stiff. It would open with a loud metallic bang.

I discovered how to close it by trial and error. It required considerable force on the lower part of the bracket/hinge - at a guess well in excess of 50 lbs. when the bracket would spring shut with another loud bang enabling the table to be put away.

Nothing appeared broken but something was clearly amiss.

My guess was a screw or pin had fallen out which was making it operate in an unauhodox manner but, without something to compare it with, it was difficult to tell

The other day I opened the leg so that I could demonstrate the problem later to the dealer. On pressing the lower hinge bracket with the now usual extreme pressure it sprang shut with the force of a mousetrap trapping the tip of my finger in part of the mechanism. Extrication was painful and difficult particularly as my finger was bleeding profusely and I wasn’t sure what to press or pull to get it out.

So! A word of warning! The spring on the hinge is strong (and spiteful) and if you encounter a similar problem use a cloth so that you don’t pinch yourself and get blood everywhere.

The table leg is now being replaced by MB. If they are able to tell me what was wrong I will pass on.

BTW Does anyone know how to get the table off the runner?

Steve B

Mine came off by itself. Have a look at the thread but the table comes off the slider by removing a steel rod, its simple but very fiddly. Hope this helps

Epigram

Many thanks SteveB. I missed your original post.
The vehicle is still with the dealer and they are repairing / replacing the leg mechanism. I will have a look when I get it back. I am also curious to find out how the pivot mechanism for the leg became so stiff and vicious.
Meanwhile the finger (used for gesticulating ) is slowly recovering

Steve B

You'll need all your fingers fully functioning to tackle the little nut/bolt that holds it together :)

T

TwoRs

VIP Member
Hi I had a similar problem with the one leg of the table. From a March 21 March MP. Something was lost when I got the leg loose with considerable strength. It does work but there must be a design fault somewhere.
I will raise with my dealer who has little knowledge of MP I’m afraid

Epigram

Table leg now fixed. Blood blister on finger almost healed

Unfortunately the Command satnav fault still hasn’t been resolved after a mere two and a half years and multiple dealer visits and letters to MB UK.
When I phoned to tell the dealer that the problem was still there after I collected the vehicle to me, the response was “Oh we didn’t hold out much hope for fixing it because the fault hasn’t been cleared down by Germany”
Don’t service departments road test cars to check they have fixed them?
Over a hundred miles back and forth to the dealer and loss of the camper for five days. A complete waste of everyones time!
An ongoing black mark for an MB quality control ethos that allows vehicles to be returned to the customer without checking properly and expects on the customer to check whether it has been fixed
I am not a happy bunny today……

T

TwoRs

VIP Member
Phoned my dealer yesterday as the MP is in for other warranty work. They identified the lost parts and are ordering in. Let’s see if they
1. Repair and it all works perfectly
2. Find that there is a genuine design fault with the legs and extension mechanism

I did say to the dealer that all parts of their fleet should be disabled friendly (even if I had arthritis)

I’ll ask for them to demo when they fix!!