Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ESP and Traction-light keep burning on dashboard

PR3D4T0R

Hi all!

I own a MP (3.2 V6 / 160 KW) from 2004, and we've been struggling with the ESP- and Traction-module and/or light for almost a year now. The problem started when my girlfriend took the van to Morocco last summer, and when she was back in Spain she was on a hillside and when trying to accelerate the car completely shut down (and the ABS and ESP lights went on). It turned out that the left rear wheel had a problem, and she had to tow the car to a Mercedes dealer in Granada.

In Spain they replaced the transmission shaft, but they couldn't fix the problems with the ABS. We had it towed back to Belgium (thank god for our insurance), and brought it to our local Mercedes garage. They replaced the ABS-sensor (which was cut in half), but the light on the dashboard was still on. They then did some more researching and found that the bearing in the left rear wheel was deteriorating and iron parts where attracted to the new sensor (which becomes magnetic when turned on). The bearing was also replaced, but the light still remained on.

They came back to us and said that they wanted to check the electrical wires going from the left rear wheel to the front, because they feared it was power loss on a wire that made for the malfunction notification on our dashboard to keep occurring. We agreed, but after a few work hours they couldn't find the power loss and said to us that the complete wiring harness of the ESP module needed to be renewed (which came with a hefty price estimation).

At that point, we were doubtful because we want to replace our van for a newer model and had already sunk several costs to fixing other problems. The main problem we have is that our car is running, braking and operating just fine, but it's simply the light on the dashboard and the malfunction notification which keep popping up. With the light on it won't pass inspection and it will be harder to sell for our desired price.

My car knowledge is basic, but I've tried every possible solution online for getting the malfunction to disappear, without any luck... And that's why I've turned to this community for help/advice/... I'm wondering if there are any other MP-owners who had similar problems with power loss and the ESP malfunction, and what they did about it to hopefully resolve the issue?

Thanks for the replies!