Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away Awning advice please

Debs4rr

Hi..we are new to this forum and would like to ask for some advice please.
For the last few months we have been fairly decided on a VW California..however an opportunity has come up to buy a Marco Polo and to be honest I’ve been swayed!
i just need some advice Regarding a drive away awning..we definitely need one, but the dealer of the van that we are interested in wasn’t sure when I spoke with him if the fitting on the side of the van is for an awning or not.
It is a black rubber like trim with a groove running along inside it..it Looks like a track..but I’m confused because it is on both sides of the vehicle so I’m not sure if it’s just decorative..
if it is thee just to look pretty how easy would be it be retro fit the track needed for a drive away awning?
Thanks so much

SteveR

Hi and welcome,

The driveaway awnings are attached to the 'groove' using a keder strip, which resembles a strip of material with circular piping on either side (google keder strip for an image that will be way better than I can describe :)).
One piping edge attaches to your awning via plastic runners and the other attaches to your van. If you wish to drive away you slide out the keder strip and this separates the awning from the van
Apologies for the ropey description but I hope it helps

PoloTim

Hi and welcome,

The driveaway awnings are attached to the 'groove' using a keder strip, which resembles a strip of material with circular piping on either side (google keder strip for an image that will be way better than I can describe :)).
One piping edge attaches to your awning via plastic runners and the other attaches to your van. If you wish to drive away you slide out the keder strip and this separates the awning from the van
Apologies for the ropey description but I hope it helps
Steve, information above is very useful. Is there a particular brand/model of drive away awning you would recommend for my 2019 MC??
Thanks in advance

SteveR

Steve, information above is very useful. Is there a particular brand/model of drive away awning you would recommend for my 2019 MC??
Thanks in advance
Hi @PoloTim
I'm certainly no expert but my advice to you is to figure out what you need in terms of:
- Size requirements
- Ease of putting up / taking down (Pole frame vs inflatable)
- Budget
- Quality (As in most things in life you tend to get what you pay for in terms of quality, materials, fit and so forth)
- Orientation (Where the awning entrance is in relation to your van. Entry to the rear, front, or either)
- Availability

Be aware that driveway awnings differ from standard caravan type awnings as they are designed so that you can disconnect easily, driveway and leave a freestanding awning zipped closed.

We have a Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 260 inflatable that is easy to put up (10 mins?) and easy to connect / disconnect. Roomy for us and materials, zips etc of decent quality.
Similar to this

Edit: We are putting this awning up for sale in the classifieds here shortly if you are interested in pre-owned

PoloTim

Thanks for the above information Steve, will await in anticipation when you put the awning up for sale on this site.

Tee

Hi there. Yes a very cool bit of kit. Do some checking as I think somewhere on here someone said that the Gybe does not fit if you have a Thule awning installed as it needs a clear run through the black rail groove and the Thule brackets stop this. I was looking at this a lot, but only came across the point late on. Worth checking direct with the company if buying. T.

Webbah

Hi there. Yes a very cool bit of kit. Do some checking as I think somewhere on here someone said that the Gybe does not fit if you have a Thule awning installed as it needs a clear run through the black rail groove and the Thule brackets stop this. I was looking at this a lot, but only came across the point late on. Worth checking direct with the company if buying. T.
Good to know, thanks! On my side I don't have an awning at all. I removed the Thule at delivery as I wasn't very fond of it. cheers!