Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Draining down fresh water system

mptripsaway

Better safe than sorry!
Having already drained the storage tank dry I read somewhere about water being held in the pipework with the possibility of it freezing causing split pipes or pipe joints, so having isolated the water pump by removing the 10amp fuse I opened the sink tap to allow air into the system and was very surprised at how much water drained from the pipes, ~ 2 litre! Certainly enough to cause damage if freezing in the pipes.

Sorry that should read ~ 1/2 litre!

Last edited:

funkyegg

Better safe than sorry!
Having already drained the storage tank dry I read somewhere about water being held in the pipework with the possibility of it freezing causing split pipes or pipe joints, so having isolated the water pump by removing the 10amp fuse I opened the sink tap to allow air into the system and was very surprised at how much water drained from the pipes, ~ 2 litre! Certainly enough to cause damage if freezing in the pipes.

Sorry that should read ~ 1/2 litre!
Very helpful as always Braysaway! Please can you provide a bit more details how you drained the water? Cheers

mptripsaway

Very helpful as always Braysaway! Please can you provide a bit more details how you drained the water? Cheers

If you have the MB guide digital operating instructions it is explained in detail (with pictures...Yay!)
But it's simply a case of removing the fuse (No2) from fuse box below the cool box to isolate the water pump, you can then open the tap to allow air into the system allowing the pipework to drain back into the fresh water tank which you can then drain in the usual way.

funkyegg

If you have the MB guide digital operating instructions it is explained in detail (with pictures...Yay!)
But it's simply a case of removing the fuse (No2) from fuse box below the cool box to isolate the water pump, you can then open the tap to allow air into the system allowing the pipework to drain back into the fresh water tank which you can then drain in the usual way.
Thanks, I will try to download a digital manual.

funkyegg

Had a bit of time this evening and done exactly what Braysaway suggested, loads of water came out....

Epigram

Pulling out the fuse to isolate the water pump, as per the manual, is a bit Heath Robinson if this has to be done on a regular basis.
Search “water pump isolator” posted by Douglas Smith if you fancy a simple mod so that you don’t have to remove the fuse to isolate the pump.
I am surprised MB have not fitted a switch as standard. Presumably the pump needs to be prevented from running when there is no water in the system.