Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Downstairs bed - is it really comfortable?

Properjob

We went and had a good look at an MP at Brooklands over the weekend and were very impressed by lots of it.... the seats and the dashboard particularly. However, the rear seats, despite being far more comfortable that the California, seemed very over-engineered. The biggest concern though was how comfy they would be as a bed. Having crawled all over the various articles about the vehicle all over the web, the actual comfort as a bed never seems to be talked about properly and certainly doesn't seem to mention the need for a topper. Add to this the fact that both we and the two sales people at MB couldn't get one of the seats to go properly flat - which is also the same problem that was experienced in the video review of it by the folks at californiacamping - and the fact that the Polish guy in the more extensive review on youtube said it wasn't really a bed (or words to that effect). So the question is: how do people find the downstairs bed? Is it comfortable enough and do you need toppers etc?

Thanks

Will

terry1956

Hi. Both the vw and the mercedes need toppers for the lower bed unit. If you can call any seat conversion a true bed is another matter. The mercedes seat is way over-engineered. I think that the space between the two seats is too small and putting too much effort on the motors. There have been tales of burned out motors on German sites. But as a bed 3foot 8 inches wide it will need a topper. Terry

mptripsaway

We went and had a good look at an MP at Brooklands over the weekend and were very impressed by lots of it.... the seats and the dashboard particularly. However, the rear seats, despite being far more comfortable that the California, seemed very over-engineered. The biggest concern though was how comfy they would be as a bed. Having crawled all over the various articles about the vehicle all over the web, the actual comfort as a bed never seems to be talked about properly and certainly doesn't seem to mention the need for a topper. Add to this the fact that both we and the two sales people at MB couldn't get one of the seats to go properly flat - which is also the same problem that was experienced in the video review of it by the folks at californiacamping - and the fact that the Polish guy in the more extensive review on youtube said it wasn't really a bed (or words to that effect). So the question is: how do people find the downstairs bed? Is it comfortable enough and do you need toppers etc?

Thanks

Will
Hi,
The seat/berth combination is a compromise between providing good quality comfortable travel seats and a good quality sleeping platform (Bed) In the first instance it scores well in my opinion, being leather, having inflatable side bolsters to provide lateral support and a range of recline to suit each individual. During long journies being able to easily change these settings has got to be welcome feature? In terms of a sleeping platform once again I think it scores well, does it need to be electrically operated, probably not but it works and it's nice to have! I have seen the comments regarding the bed not reclining to fully horizontal or in fact reclining too far, this is acknowledged on page 29 of the owners manual and clear simple instructions are given on how to reset and adjust the seat. Finally is it comfortable? The answer to this is subjective, my feeling of comfort is another persons discomfort, If using the van as a four person arrangement I personally would use a topper such as a Duvalay, if a two person arrangement and I was unable to use the roof bed I would use the mattress from that bed and then stow it back in the roof during the day, the beds are the same width although the roof bed is 20cm (8inches) longer so there will be a minimal overhang if using downstairs. Hope this helps you.

Harbour Creek

There is a topper available from MB its a genuine accessory and several of our customers have said its a good improvement. We are not stocking these here yet, but current delivery times are approx 2 weeks. If you are interested please let us know, I can then advise current pricing.

WILLH

Tried the downstairs bed and it’s too hard for me without some form of extra padding.Options seem to be the MB airmesh topper which although I can understand the technology behind it looks a little insufficient to me.The brandrup ixtend looks okay but at a price not far off the cost of a decent double bed for the bedroom!What have others found comfortable?There seem to be a couple of other mattress type options at a cost much less than the others listed here-has anyone tried those?

BabaJen

Everything in a camper is a compromise and that's half the fun of it. Finding your own individual solution to a particular compromise.

Toppers are essential. I personally have tried 4 different types in my Cali, I'm now using one based on one inch memory foam that flattens out the seat surface enough to be firmly comfortable but doesn't dominate the rear parcel shelf to the exclusion of everything else. Personally the idea of dragging one bit from upstairs to downstairs I am uncomfortable with, it really is a pain to have to keep rearranging everything night after night.

Comfortz

A couple of small tweaks to the mattress topper this weekend - fits even better now :Thumbs up:

Couple of suggestions which you have have thought of and I’ve missed but purely in the interests of carrying it, what about a couple of Velcro tabs to help keep it folded and a handle on one end?

Purely from my experience of using shooting mats which are probably a similar size albeit thinner / lighter but awkward to carry!

Hi Adam, it does come with elastic straps - but adding a handle is a great idea! :Thumbs up:

Maybe on the point where the middle section joins one of the others so the weight is centralised around the handle, if that makes sense... just a little webbing one would be great

mikliz

We are probably a bit different to most in so far as there are only 2of us and clambering up and down is a bit of a pain ,so when we bought our 1st M.P. back in 2002 we took out the removable section of the upper bed and when we sold it in July we put it back in ,brand new after 17 years ! Now we have our new M.P. we have done the same, and use the upper mattress as our topper,when travelling it's folded on the parcel shelf,and when the roof is raised we have a large storage area up above on the fixed section of the upper bed .We realise this arrangement doesn't suit a lot of people,but if there's only 2of you it might be worth considering,it certainly makes the lower bed very comfortable.

JamesWu

Same here, only two of us, lower bed is more comfortable with the right mattress or topper.
1, it’s more stable, unlike the upper bunk van doesn’t rock when you move.
2, don’t have to sleep with the roof raised, warmer and low profile when we do wild camping (no one knows it’s a camper).
I use the upper bunk to store solar panels.