Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealers, are they all useless ???

Frenchie

Today I spend a fair part of the day trying to get a deal put together on an ex demo. To be honest it was like pulling teeth. In the end I just give up and the money remained in my bank. The conversation sort of went around in circles. After the test drive, I asked a few questions re maintenance, service costs. The stock reply was I can find out, but he never did. Then it moved onto price, I asked about discount, reply the sticker price is the discounted price. I had done my homework, and knew that their asking price was higher then the same showroom had quoted me for the same spec van but new. So I showed the chap the quote, reply , o yes but thats a new van. So I just walked. They rang me up an hour later, asking me if I wanted to purchase the van. What a waste of time.
Are all dealers that uninterested in making a sale these days. F

Dundry

F, that's useful feedback. IMO as a forum group, MB/MP fans, owners and prospective purchasers we need to feed in to MB that the MP roll out in the UK is not ideal. I may be naive as I've never bought a new car/ nor have I lived the pain that Cali buyers seem to have lived, but:
- dealers are not trained
- brochure spec/info is not UK fit for purpose
- delivery and supply info is woeful
I bought into the MP ideal but am rapidly starting to feel like MB is the the new Apple post the Microsoft meltdown!
As mentioned on other posts, Im seeking facts, if Im unsuccessfully then I'm migrating to VW or a tent - in fact Audi do a Q5 with a tent that looks pretty cool!

Frenchie

I think that dealers have people over a barrel for the most part. If your own car is on HP you can,t sell it privately so it becomes part of the deal. the dealer makes money both sides, and if you need to take out more HP they win again. I have always had company cars until now so I have not been trapped in that loop. But if you add the falling sales in the car industry and the ongoing attacks on diesel and the prices of these vans, deals should be available for cash buyers.
Q5 with air tent looks interesting, and for the saving in price lots of hotel rooms if needed. I am also going to the motorhome show at the NEC to see what they have to offer. so eyes still wide open. F

Roy C

I have bad experiences with dealers no matter what I have bought in the past but I have also found decent dealers. I found the VW Cali more frustrating because you need to go to a VW Van Centre and not all of those sell the Cali. A good one I found was 100 miles away from me but was told I had to come over during the week because there was no one to help me at the weekend because they were a commercial vehicle seller. Eventually MB will improve from awful to poor but buting a car does involve a bit of luck and if you have a good dealership nearby.

BabaJen

In fairness to MB dealers, the MP is a whole new product to them and they need catch-up training time to familiarise themselves. They will get better with time but as with VW some will be better than others. AS this forum matures so collective knowledge will improve and those good dealers that come well recommended will get the lion's share of the business, and, if anything like the VW experience, also be transparent and clear with discounts.

It is a new product and everyone is on a learning curve. A great product though.

Last edited:

BabaJen

F, that's useful feedback. IMO as a forum group, MB/MP fans, owners and prospective purchasers we need to feed in to MB that the MP roll out in the UK is not ideal. I may be naive as I've never bought a new car/ nor have I lived the pain that Cali buyers seem to have lived, but:

- in fact Audi do a Q5 with a tent that looks pretty cool!

and if only the MP 4WD was available .......:(

Frenchie

Babajen, I hear what you are saying. But I am not really talking about product knowledge, which is next to very poor. But the financial transaction which turns out to be just seating at a desk listening to a lots of sales talk and not much else. They even wanted me to pay an admin fee on top. As I said I have always had company cars, so have little knowledge of buying for myself, but its not a happy experience is it.
On a further matter, I see that you are a firm vw lover, why may I ask are you looking at the mercedes, what to your mind are the improvements over the vw if any.F

BabaJen

Yes, I have a complete love affair with Albert, my Camper, but sooner or later, despite the passion of our relationship, he is going to have to be replaced for a younger model, hence why I am here.

VW owners also have dealer problems, often blamed on the fact that VW sell the Cali through it's commercial vehicle network. Some of us have really suffered with the fact that the dealer/service manager sat opposite would really be far happier talking to a builder or plumber and selling 10 works vans than talking to someone who expects to be treated like a private customer exchanging lots of dosh for something that will be his personal, and much loved, pride and joy. The California, even though it is the most expensive vehicle by far in the showroom, is only a minor part of a commercial vehicle salesman's life and sometimes it shows. Equally the bloke doing the servicing, on occasions, is not too fussed about where he leaves oily finger marks and not many people driving a works fleet van full of greasy tools are going to complain.

That said their are also great dealers, great servicing and dealers very knowledgeable about the product and scope for doing a deal to sell it so it is not all bad.

I have been really disappointed therefore with the MB offering. The disinterest and total lack of product knowledge I have found on two occasions when I prearranged appointments to view has been quite sad. I want to see an alternative to the Cali, not because I am disappointed with what I have but because I want a choice and I have not been offered one so far. It has all the trappings of a half-hearted launch by MB, no decent staff training, no real efforts to punch a hole in the camper van market, a very limited range offering and even more limited room to cut a deal. It will get better as hopefully the range expands and dealer knowledge and experience improves, but it really should not be me, on a prearranged visit to view the vehicle, to have to point out to the Sales person where the light switches are and how the gas bottle fits in!

In terms of comparing the two vehicles, I can't. First, as I have said in other threads, A campervan lifestyle is one built on a shed load of compromises so it is totally an individual thing as to what compromises and solutions are best. The driving cabin of the MP is a delight, a real luxury car offering, and I love it compared to the VW more van-like offering, but then the VW cabin offers something that for some is priceless, lots of individual storage bins great for putting those often needed but sometimes hard to find items. Part of the price paid for the superb ability of a campervan to go everywhere is that the small space calls for a lot of careful and well-practiced packing or it becomes a misery of constantly moving everyone and everything around to get to the bit that you want and the more segregated spaces the better.

Having drooled over the driver cabin I also drooled over the leather seats. I despair with VW not offering leather upholstery and if I ordered another Cali, which to be honest at this point I am likely to, then I will just have to go through the faffing around of the basic upholstery being replaced by an after-market recoverer.

I cannot comment on driving it. My Cali is a superb, effortless, supremely comfortable long-distance cruiser and there is no doubt that the MP is also. I have a T5, much more agricultural than the Euro 6 diesel, so looking forward to whatever replacement I choose to a smoother engine, but when I turned up for my pre-arranged test drive another vehicle had been parked in front of the Demo and I was informed that it was all to much trouble to shift it to allow me to toodle off and go around the block.

The habitation again looks much more modern and sparkling than to the Cali. The Cali now is looking a bit utilitarian but hey, nothing that a few bright cushions and throws can't change. The Cali is also quite robust inside, it has to be, it has had me living in it for over 300 nights, but then Westfalia know what they are doing, they are noted for high-end quality so there is no reason to believe that the MP will be any less so.

Those back seats look oh so comfy for passengers compared to the Cali, who with me in front have to suffer in Grim silence behind, but then would I want those electric seats? There is enough to go wrong as it is, and the MP only has one leisure battery to the Cali's two, and when they were demonstrated to me it did not help that they folded down unevenly. I love the concept of split seats, I use my Cali as very much an outdoor vehicle and to be able to lower one to flop exhausted on to whilst leaving the other up upright as a seat would drive me into flights of ecstasy, but then I would like some reassurance that it is proven technology and would not fail on me at a bad time. I camp all year round in some pretty wild locations, in February 2015 I experienced three 90 mph plus storms in succession in Northern Scotland, no chance of having the roof up so the downstairs bed must be foolproof as best as it can be. However despite misgivings, the MP has a delightful rear seat offering.

Enough said about the table and chairs offering. Just what are MB/Westfalia thinking of? No problem in winter, just leave them behind, but Summer I quite like sitting and eating outside, it's what the camping experience is about, and I will just have to carry them, but that boot space, it's crammed full at the best of times in my Cali. I will just have to go back to the drawing board and replay my whole camper van experience

I would not comment on the mechanical bits. My Cali has proved to be as tough as old boots, on one occasion surviving a fearful airborne leap on an isolated Highland track landing with such force that my two nearside tyres blew. After being recovered, an epic saga in itself, and returned to an Ullapool garage where two new winter tyres had just arrived, I was able to drive away despite fearing that some parts of the underside must be damaged. VW supplied a safety check list, the thing was hoisted up, a technician spent forty minutes going through the check list, and all was intact and pointing in the directions that they should be. I do a lot of off-tarmac travelling and in four years nothing has come loose, broken or blown up.... except the two aforementioned tyres. I have no reason to believe the MP will be any different. I would be quite confident in MB to offer a seriously robust vehicle, sadly though they are not yet offering what I need most, 4WD.

So, in a very large nutshell, why I am here. I am also looking at conversions, Autohaus, Vanworx and Jerba in particular. I am in no hurry. Albert and I are off to East Anglia, then Belgium and then Scotland before our long continental trip next year, and only looking to replace after we come back From France in May 2018, so plenty of time, plenty to think about. The MP is a fine vehicle. The lifestyle though is the finest bit, and whether VW, MP, Mazda Bongo or a conversion it is the lifestyle that we all share and can all offer each other help and advice on.

Last edited:

Frenchie

Thanks for an informative reply. I must say that at this time I am falling out of love with the idea of a campervan and dealers, and may go back to an eriba caravan for Batman (my Frenchie). I don,t think that MB will bring in the 4wd anytime soon, sales of Mp have not been great, bad timing, higher road tax for 5 years, know product knowledge and little interest in getting any. and as for the Hot water issue, god only knows. I will however take a look at the other makes in your post.
PS. Just had a look at Jerba, but low BHP engines used so not very good, as I drive like the cars on fire. Vanworx fixed seat in rear not to great for me as I carry lots of rubbish around with me, so need space at the back when the seats are pushed foreword. will keep looking. thanks Jan.F

BabaJen

The RIB fixed seats in a lot are a big drawback.

With Jerba you can choose your base vehicle. For me it would be the 204DSG 4 motion.

Oh.... when my Sister travels with me, behind Albert, on tow, is an Eriba Triton 430 :D

Frenchie

Hi again, yes I like the eriba caravans, I had the troll 550. tows very well but I was always forgetting it was hanging on the back. when I had to bring it back home. the 50mph think is not for me truly or I would never be looking at a van. I don't need the 4wd so anything over 150bhp is ok with me. I sold the caravan for much the sale as I paid for it after 4 years and countless miles and nights. F

Roy C

I decided on Sunday to contact my local MB dealership who had given me the initial look at the MP and then a test drive. After the test drive I agreed that I would be looking to place an order in October for delivery in Spring 2018. I have had no followup from the dealer so I called them on Sunday. My first two attempts just rang out and on my third attempt my call was answered. I told the person I spoke to that I wanted to place an order and he agreed to leave a message for the sales guy (who was isn't in on Sunday) that I had been dealing with to call me back asap. Got to mid afternoon today with no call back and so I decided to call the dealership closest to me that had offered 7.2% discount on a brand new car via CarWow - JCT600 Sheffield.

I called their CarWow dedicated team but was told there wasn't anyone available and they would call me back. A short time later I got an email via CarWow asking me to phone again now they were available, which I did, and I ended up placing an order and giving my deposit over the phone. The person I spoke to didn't need to know anything about the MP since I had done my research but at least they responded. I have had the order form emailed to me already and I was told I they would get back to me in around 2 weeks time with a build / estimated delivery date. Let's see.

Frenchie

to be honest I have given up on the whole idea. I hate spending money at the best of times. but to give it away to people who just cant be as... to do much more then talk total BS is asking just too much. so it looks like batman will be visiting a lot of dog friendly hotels.

Wilnx005

Administrator
Staff member
I decided on Sunday to contact my local MB dealership who had given me the initial look at the MP and then a test drive. After the test drive I agreed that I would be looking to place an order in October for delivery in Spring 2018. I have had no followup from the dealer so I called them on Sunday. My first two attempts just rang out and on my third attempt my call was answered. I told the person I spoke to that I wanted to place an order and he agreed to leave a message for the sales guy (who was isn't in on Sunday) that I had been dealing with to call me back asap. Got to mid afternoon today with no call back and so I decided to call the dealership closest to me that had offered 7.2% discount on a brand new car via CarWow - JCT600 Sheffield.

I called their CarWow dedicated team but was told there wasn't anyone available and they would call me back. A short time later I got an email via CarWow asking me to phone again now they were available, which I did, and I ended up placing an order and giving my deposit over the phone. The person I spoke to didn't need to know anything about the MP since I had done my research but at least they responded. I have had the order form emailed to me already and I was told I they would get back to me in around 2 weeks time with a build / estimated delivery date. Let's see.

Whats is wrong with people :Headbang: Glad you're sorted now!

Dundry

Roy, great to see you have placed your order. I'm in the same position having placed mine through Car Wow with another dealer. I called MB direct on Friday as frustrated that I havnt beeen given a build date despite my order at the end of August. They said they would call me back this week. Will keep the forum updated.

Roy C

Roy, great to see you have placed your order. I'm in the same position having placed mine through Car Wow with another dealer. I called MB direct on Friday as frustrated that I havnt beeen given a build date despite my order at the end of August. They said they would call me back this week. Will keep the forum updated.
Dundry, Yes please keep us updated and I'll do the same. I'm going to open a thread in the Dealer section and keep a timeline in there.

We seem to have had a better experience with Exeter, they didn't know much but were absolutely great about finding things out and answering all of our questions. We've been constantly updated with our build and delivery dates and they matched an 8% discount we got from the Caravan Club affinity scheme, so really can't complain.

Maybe its just the luck of the dealership?

Dundry

Adam, when did you order and what have you been given as a delivery date. I ordered in august through MB Cardiff and car wow. I have gone through MB customer services and chased the dealer and neither can give a build date. Others here have said supply has been limited to uk but no evidence base for that statement. All very frustrating. I may speak to MB Exeter?
Thanks

Adam, when did you order and what have you been given as a delivery date. I ordered in august through MB Cardiff and car wow. I have gone through MB customer services and chased the dealer and neither can give a build date. Others here have said supply has been limited to uk but no evidence base for that statement. All very frustrating. I may speak to MB Exeter?
Thanks

I can totally understand your frustration! We ordered on the 17/7/17 (awesome) and were given an estimated delivery date of March.
On the 31/7/17 we were told that they had swapped build slots with another dealer and our delivery date was now December
This week were told it would be in mid November, but we’ve stuck with our original date as we’re abroad for a while.

When we first ordered they were finding it hard to get a build / delivery date as they get built at Mercedes, then apparently shipped to westfalia then to the dealer so it’s a more convoluted process than a “normal” vehicle

I’m afraid I can only tell you what we’ve been told but Exeter have been absolutely superb in keeping us informed. If Mercedes central can’t tell you then I’m not sure another dealer can help?

Well the only decent I found was at Reading and I tried 8. Reading understood the vehicle and were only too pleased to answer all my questions.

Last edited: