Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cracked roof!

Webbah

My new roof has been on order for a month now. The service center told me there are already 4 others before me with one that was ordered last April. I most likely won't see mine until sometime next year due to the logistics backlog, etc. So expect some long wait times!

tomasi

Hi all
My roof is also getting replaced due to the blister problem. It has been ordered since August.
When talking to my local MB dealer he told me that he had changed 3 before me and in an other case had to repair one. He fitted carbon plates in the interior of the roof in order to prevent from further cracking. I asked him to fit these carbon plates when he will fit my new roof. I am also very anxious to get these roof cracks or any other roof problem after a new roof fitting...
Maybe something to discuss with dealers when getting the new roof fixed.

Peter

Peter

VIP Member
The carbon plates sound like an interesting option. Thank you for that.

Our cracked roof repair isn't covered under Warranty due to the age of the vehicle. Also, we have been told that there is no roof availability at present. I think we will just leave it for now and pick it up again next year when possibly there are more experiences within the Forum to draw upon.

If everyone can keep posting updates and it will be interesting to see how many other roofs crack during the course of 2022. It would be nice to think there will be no more, but suspect this is unlikely.

tomasi

Hi all
My replacement roof arrived last week.
I am taking the MP to the dealer tomorrow.
I asked for the carbon plates to be fitted....unfortunately he told me he wasn't comfortable with fitting these plates on a new roof, as it would alter the warranty. He told me that the new roofs had been modified and reinforced to avoid futur cracks...He said the reference of the new roof is totally different than the original , and was pretty confident on that side...Not sure how to interpret that, but lets hope that the many many roof returns have encouraged Westfalia to modify them to avoid futur issues...

Grand Tourismo

Good morning guys - I have updated the online questionnaire to include a section about roof cracking.

Please head over to the questionnaire and update your details or fill in if you can.
Please share this update on Fb and your other socials - strength in numbers and all that!

Can I suggest one of you nominate yourself to take a lead on this specific roof issue? Start to build a body of evidence which add's weight to your argument and then contact MBUK directly by mail.
One of the strong indicators of a batch issue rather than simple user error would be where the cracks are appearing and what form they take (crazing, vertical single runs, multiple cracks or whatever). Also understanding how old each roof is when the crack appears.
Build a database and try to ascertain from each user where, what and how large each crack is and formally submit this in support of your claim - you may get push back initially but as the evidence continues to build then you should get support from MBUK.

Anecdotally I had my roof replaced last week, the replacement roof was ordered in July and arrived late October (2021).
It was painted off-site, returned to the dealership and then fitted in around 4 days. All carried out by MB Northampton which did a perfect job.
I am not sure why just yet but it is definitely a quieter ride (completely quiet), no little squeaks or whatever.

felamy10

I have just found blisters on my 19 plate MP - another month and I would be outside the warranty. Some of the blisters are in straight lines and others are random.

1508ian

I have just found blisters on my 19 plate MP - another month and I would be outside the warranty. Some of the blisters are in straight lines and others are random.
Sounds familiar….
I’m waiting to hear back from MB about replacing our second roof because it has developed the same blisters as the original.