Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Command navigation fault: Missing parts of instructions

Epigram

I have an ongoing fault with the navigation system that Mercedes are trying to fix. I would like to know whether others have a similar problemor whether it is just my vehicle:
After setting in a destination the speech synthesiser responds with “ ‘tis being calculated” instead of “The route is being calculated”
If this were the only fault I would probably put up with it. Indeed it could be quite endearing if the lady had an Irish accent but she doesn’t!

However, the advance instructions get clipped so that for example:
”In half a mile turn right“ becomes a spontaneous “ Turn right”.
If you just happen to be opposite another turning you can be tempted to take it

Could if one or two of you with Command confirm either that you don’t have the problem or that you do and whether it has been fixed.

Steve B

I don’t use the voice prompts, so can’t help on that one. I’m sure the on screen directions are ok, I’ve never noticed an issue. I’d did ask me once near Chester to turn right now, across a central reservation (with no opening) and into woods!

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
I have never noticed a problem with the voice directions. It did try to direct me the wrong way up a street once in the UK, and another time it had a bit of a hissy fit in Genoa but given the road system had been completely rearranged due to the bridge collapse that was forgiveable! My only real bugbear with the system is that it will automatically recalculate a route due to traffic problems but without giving me the option of whether I want to take the diversion - and sometimes it flits back and forth between the original and new route as if it can’t make up its mind!

Epigram

Thanks for these replies.
The problem is in the speech synthesiser. The directions on the map are correct, subject to calculation inappropriate routes that can be expected from time to time with satnav. I always keep maps in the van anyway.
BTW, I came across a three year old road test for a GLC350d where the reviewer complained of a similar problem with the Command navigation on the road test car. The fault can’t be unknown to Mercedes - unless they don't read reviews..............!

Epigram

Rovimotor, there is an option “Dynamic route guidance” in settings that should stop the recalculation of routes due to traffic problems but I don’t remember whether it gives you an option to accept a revised route or goes straight into “I know best“ mode.
I recall a journey on the A26 in France where a number of the service areas were closed. The satnav decided that the motorway (peage) was closed as well. The proposed route to Calais, if taken, would have been interesting.

Epigram

I started this thread back in desperation back in August 2020.
The Command Satnav fault referred to in #1 above was present from new - 2 years ago.

It has finally been resolved. :D

Everything comes to those who wait.
It required some half a dozen trips to the dealer over a period of 18 months. Several times the vehicle was with them for over a week while waiting for parts. Oh, and two letters to Mercedes Head of Office.

Guess what ? The “voice module” has been replaced !
I am not sure what the other “fixes” were. I wonder whether they thought my suggestion that the speech synthesiser was faulty referred to the radio - I must be more circumspect my language !

Among the words the satnav missed was “PLEASE” . It now “speaks” correctly and very politely.

The accuracy of the mapping data and route calculation of the satnav is another matter but in that “We are all on a road to nowhere.”

Perhaps there is a link with the radio!

Sorry for the liberal use of emojis. Trying to put some humour into what has been an irritating problem that took far too long to fix.

Happy and safe travels now that we are allowed out again.

Grand Tourismo

Guess what ? The “voice module” has been replaced !
I also have a "voice module" issue, but in our house...I am sure it is faulty because it also does not speak politely, especially if I have not carried out my duties!! Problem is it costs far too much to change! :Banana Dance

*all in the name of humour, I love her dearly!!

Glad you got your issue sorted Epi

Epigram

I also have a "voice module" issue, but in our house...I am sure it is faulty because it also does not speak politely, especially if I have not carried out my duties!! Problem is it costs far too much to change! :Banana Dance

*all in the name of humour, I love her dearly!!

Glad you got your issue sorted Epi
As you say, that model far too dangerous to reprogram and much too expensive to correct. However, I have found that certain fuels such as chocolate, wine or gin and tonic can improve matters