Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Class 4 or Class 7 MOT?

E

EdiAli

VIP Member
Hi,
just wondering if anyone has ever had issues getting their MP MOT'd? based on MOT Class?

I had mine (2019 v220d) booked in at a local National Autocentre for convenience. Having booked on-line and dropped it off, they then rang me and said they couldn't do it as it needed a Class 7 MOT not Class 4 and they couldn't do that. I've never had that issue before and used to get it done at my loca Kwik-Fit.

Obviously the MP is classed as as Diesel Car on the V5C and I've checked the kerb weight vs gross vehicle weight and don't see why they thought it should be a Class 7. I just didn't have that info at the time to argue my case.

Anyone have similar experiences? THanks.

Steve B

No problems here, its an MPV, so we have the hassle with insurance because of MB and their lack of effort when classifying it, at least MOT's are (should be!) straight forward. The MP is classed as type M1 which comes under car not commercial, the garage can check this online with your registration.

E

EdiAli

VIP Member
Thanks. I agree. They caught me on the hop and didn't have info to hand to argue the toss with them.

PhilipHa

My van failed its MOT 2 years ago because the Mercedes Commercial dealer got muddled up over classes and weights. Although the braking performance was better than the previous year when it passed, it failed. Transpires they did the MOT versus a 3,500kg vehicle and then said it would need new brakes all round...... Ended up going to a council weigh station to prove it was under 2,400kg at which point it passed easily without any brake adjustment, had an argument with them over the classification. I am not sure of the details but the class effects how they potentially determine the weight for braking performance.