Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack or tow bar bike rack?

Carol

We purchased a PROuser plus 2 , It has to be the plus as its about 4cms furtheraway from towball ,tilts with bikes in situ , even when we have 2 Cube E bikes on the rack.
I think tailgate rack would not take weight of E bike as average bike weight is about 21 KGS. I dont think anyone could lift the E bikes up onto door mounted rack

Method7

Just got a quote for a MB fitted towbar - £5,500
I thought they had added an extra 0
Not surprised, I was informed by my dealer that the MB solution is a factory fit where they fit bigger radiators and I can’t remember what else but you also need 19” wheels for some reason. Apparently it’s designed to maintain the gearbox temp while towing larger trailers for long periods. You can get the same towbar fitted for ~£1000 by westfalias mobile fitting service. https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/uk/products/towbars/ but obviously you don’t get the extra cooling so maybe not a good idea if your planning on dragging a twin axel caravan for days on end.

caMPike

Not surprised, I was informed by my dealer that the MB solution is a factory fit where they fit bigger radiators and I can’t remember what else but you also need 19” wheels for some reason. Apparently it’s designed to maintain the gearbox temp while towing larger trailers for long periods. You can get the same towbar fitted for ~£1000 by westfalias mobile fitting service. https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/uk/products/towbars/ but obviously you don’t get the extra cooling so maybe not a good idea if your planning on dragging a twin axel caravan for days on end.
When ordering my MP in middle 2019 the origin MB towbar was around €1600, as mentioned it incl also stronger cooling.
I decided for alternate solution and ordered a code E57 at extra options list which makes everything ready for later instalation of any suitable towbar , price was EUR 300,- ( incl electricity ready for easy connection in space above of right rear wheel, stronger cooling aswell ) the towbar in additional should be around EUR 500,-

Method7

When ordering my MP in middle 2019 the origin MB towbar was around €1600, as mentioned it incl also stronger cooling.
I decided for alternate solution and ordered a code E57 at extra options list which makes everything ready for later instalation of any suitable towbar , price was EUR 300,- ( incl electricity ready for easy connection in space above of right rear wheel, stronger cooling aswell ) the towbar in additional should be around EUR 500,-
That’s a good way of covering your back. At those prices it seems hardly worth having it as a option MB should just E57 every model. The retro fit engineer has to run wires to the front and reprogram some interface so the van will warn if the trailer lights are out. Retro fit prices vary depending on the bar.. we had the removable option and store the hitch in the OEM slot in the boot so it’s all nice ant tidy.

Cumbrians

Cheers, I only want to drag a couple bikes round on a towbar mounted bike rack so all that is slightly OTT. Have got a Westfalia quote of £550 which is more like it.

Ranger67

I'm thinking of getting a towbar too for bikes. Undecided to get a removeable £550 + around £150 for the dedicated electrics programming update or a fixed which costs around £440 + the software update.

Does the reversing camera still work with the bike rack attached? ie it only deactivates the parking sensor?

Method7

I can’t remember... to be completely honest but I think it is still active... it’s not much use though... I wonder how the 360 camera copes with that.

Method7

The Westfalia removable hitch is really nice since it stows away in a dedicated holder in the tool kit compartment RHS rear above the bed extender.

Looks wise, a tow hitch is pretty ugly feature but it’s handy for resting dirty boots on when changing shoes but it’s always there banging your shins when loading and unloading

In fact I think the hitch itself can set off the parking sensors, I seem to remember reading this on the site but we spent 3 weeks in France with it fitted and everything was fine On our 2018 AMG...

We have a dashcam that records 24\7 but it monitors the battery and turns off when the threshold is met so I have been exploring possibilities for the 13pin wiring kit. It has a permanent live and I was trying to charge the battery with it but for some reason my charger refuses to register the connection. Would also be handy for solar panels or external lighting..The power socket in the front is ignition controlled so charging through there is a no go. And I don’t want to run wires to the bonnet because that is facing the road. The rear is up against the garage door.

Ranger67

The Westfalia removable hitch is really nice since it stows away in a dedicated holder in the tool kit compartment RHS rear above the bed extender.

Looks wise, a tow hitch is pretty ugly feature but it’s handy for resting dirty boots on when changing shoes but it’s always there banging your shins when loading and unloading

In fact I think the hitch itself can set off the parking sensors, I seem to remember reading this on the site but we spent 3 weeks in France with it fitted and everything was fine On our 2018 AMG...

We have a dashcam that records 24\7 but it monitors the battery and turns off when the threshold is met so I have been exploring possibilities for the 13pin wiring kit. It has a permanent live and I was trying to charge the battery with it but for some reason my charger refuses to register the connection. Would also be handy for solar panels or external lighting..The power socket in the front is ignition controlled so charging through there is a no go. And I don’t want to run wires to the bonnet because that is facing the road. The rear is up against the garage door.
I like the idea of charging through the tow electric for a 7 pin. I tried a solar panel trickle charger for the cigarette lighter socket by the sliding door but that did nothing for the aux battery. Have you managed to find a kit or something to charge via the tow bar electrics?

Method7

I like the idea of charging through the tow electric for a 7 pin. I tried a solar panel trickle charger for the cigarette lighter socket by the sliding door but that did nothing for the aux battery. Have you managed to find a kit or something to charge via the tow bar electrics?
The 13 pin socket has a constant live, I guess there is one with the double 7 pin setup.. no kit I just made up a plug that connected to the live and attached that to the charger but like I said I couldn’t get it to register a connection but I can run a lamp from it. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. It won’t charge the auxiliary battery because it’s not on that circuit.
I need to spend a little more time experimenting with it.

Last edited: