Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack or tow bar bike rack?

M

Monner

VIP Member
Just about to place an order for our new pride and joy. Mercedes Benz bike rack or have tow bar fitted as optional extra and use our existing Thule bike rack for tow bar - any thoughts?

ClaireDe

I think it depends on your personal circumstances. We went for the MB bike rack because it stays on the van the whole time and I didn't want the hassle of attaching our existing bike rack to the tow bar each time we went out with bikes. And it would make the van really long and I thought I'd struggle parking it! But it saves money to use your existing one and I also understand from previous threads on this subject that you can still open the back window if using a tow bar bike rack, which obviously you can't do with the MB one. We really like the MB bike rack but if you do a search on the forum you'll find people who really like the tow bar bike racks.
Not sure I've helped......

M

Monner

VIP Member
Thanks Claire. The tow bar option has it's appeal because as you said, you can open the split tailgate but I'm thinking the MB bike rack kinda makes it a bit more funky (but I don't want a VW Cali!). Does anyone have any pictures, please? The tow bar pack and the MB bike rack are pretty much the same cost so still undecided - guess I could sell my Thule rack!

SteveR

....The tow bar pack and the MB bike rack are pretty much the same cost so still undecided - guess I could sell my Thule rack!
If it were me and the costs were the same, I'd go for the towbar option. You never know what the future holds and you at least have the capability to tow (trailer, jetski, caravan :oops: etc)

ClaireDe

Above is a link (hopefully!) to a previous thread on bike racks and some photos.

The MB bike rack is quite neat but I also agree with getting a tow bar just in case you want to tow other things.

M

Monner

VIP Member
If it were me and the costs were the same, I'd go for the towbar option. You never know what the future holds and you at least have the capability to tow (trailer, jetski, caravan :oops: etc)
Thanks Steve, so many decisions.

SteveR

The other thing to consider is that - putting cost to one side - while it is relatively easy to retrofit a bike rack, it is not so easy to retrofit a towbar. I think there was a towbar thread some time ago on this

M

Monner

VIP Member
The other thing to consider is that - putting cost to one side - while it is relatively easy to retrofit a bike rack, it is not so easy to retrofit a towbar. I think there was a towbar thread some time ago on this
Yes, I think you're right. A campervan dealer guy said all the electrical stuff had to be wired through the kitchen (or something like that) and it was a big job). Thanks

M

Monner

VIP Member
Thanks everyone for your advice. Husband thinks towbar and whilst I'm not so happy with the length, the deciding factor was not being able to see out the back window with the bikes on up high.

SteveR

Apparently length isn't everything so I've been told :)
But remember that the factory specced towbar is removable so for the weeks you are not using the bikes you can remove easily and the MP therefore is 'standard' length

M

Monner

VIP Member
Apparently length isn't everything so I've been told :)
But remember that the factory specced towbar is removable so for the weeks you are not using the bikes you can remove easily and the MP therefore is 'standard' length
True enough. Guess I just have to get used to driving it - I've got a mini so quite a difference. Husband will use the MP as his car and he's used to longer vehicles.

SteveR

True enough. Guess I just have to get used to driving it - I've got a mini so quite a difference. Husband will use the MP as his car and he's used to longer vehicles.
I'm sure you will be fine. You become used to it surprisingly quickly and if you have 360 camera it is excellent. I'd say getting used to visibility takes a little longer than size but just think of it as a large mini :)

M

Monner

VIP Member
I'm sure you will be fine. You become used to it surprisingly quickly and if you have 360 camera it is excellent. I'd say getting used to visibility takes a little longer than size but just think of it as a large mini :)
Thanks Steve:)

Method7

Westfalia sell towbars online, they also have a mobile or static fitting service, it’s very straight forward.

We fitted a removable tow bar because it’s nice not to have a hitch and it doesn’t set off the reversing sensors. When attached to trailer lights the sensors are deactivated. And we did this so we can fit our foldable Thule bike rack, holds three bikes with a extender for a forth. We can open both the tailgate and the hatch with bikes fitted. It just took a little tinkering to adjust the catch rope on the fold mechanism.

M

Monner

VIP Member
Westfalia sell towbars online, they also have a mobile or static fitting service, it’s very straight forward.

We fitted a removable tow bar because it’s nice not to have a hitch and it doesn’t set off the reversing sensors. When attached to trailer lights the sensors are deactivated. And we did this so we can fit our foldable Thule bike rack, holds three bikes with a extender for a forth. We can open both the tailgate and the hatch with bikes fitted. It just took a little tinkering to adjust the catch rope on the fold mechanism.
We currently have the Thule bike rack for tow bar with for two bikes. I like that you can move the bikes forward whilst still on the rack so you can access the boot. And you don't have to lift the bikes up very high to put on the rack. We're going to go for the removable tow bar option.
Thanks everyone for your comments - really helpful :)

peter moore

I’ve just ordered a Thule velospace xt3 for my horizon. Slightly anxious as my 2005 Thule g5 definitely doesn’t allot the tailgate to open but the Thule stuff feels slightly better than Atera etc.

I’ll post some pics tomorrow hopefully :)

Spekky

I specified the mercedes tow bar on delivery, which is fine once you work out how the key works to remove it. I decided to buy the Atera Strada Vario 2, as I only carry one or two bikes and thought the folding function would be useful. Unfortunately, I found that this rack does not tilt/slide enough to open either tailgate, presumably as it is smaller than the normal 3 bike rack. Also, the wheel holders, which are adjustable, do not go close enough to hold the wheels of my race bikes, but are designed for longer wheelbase leisure bikes. So, tow bar good, but check the carrier is suitable for you.

peter moore

Thule 939 with bike :)
Fits great. It’s a class bit of kit. Easily assembled. Much lighter than my devious G5 carrier.

Clears the door well, though it feels tighter around the clamp rather than the frame. When the bikes are on I’ll take ant Her pic but it fits well and doesn’t let bikes hit the ground. I’ve set it on the 70 deg setting but ate a 2 minute job.