Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike cover for towbar mounted bike carrier

GeorgeG

I have a Mercedes 3 bike towbar mounted bilked carrier (made by Atera and virtually the same as the Strada Evo 3) which folds for storage in a bag and drops down to clear the tailgate - just.
i have just sold our 4 bikes and will be shortly - I hope in these times of lockdown delay - taking delivery of two full suspension electric mountain bikes from Germany. Previously, we have used individual bike bags to protect our previous f-s mtb’s, but the electric bikes are not only heavier, but also larger.

I’ve been looking at large covers to go over both bikes when they on the carrier. Most of these are not suitable for towbar carrier. There are one or two available from bags4everthing, vancomfort and bagsandcoversdirect. My issue is that I place the bikes on the inner and outer rails - i.e. with a gap represented by the central rail - in order to prevent the bikes coming into contact, resulting in damage during transportation. Of course, this means I need a larger bag and I’m not sure if what’s available will clear the 2 ‘arms’ that secure the upper part of the bikes - in other words, basically covering the whole rack.

Have any members had experience of using such covers? In view of the high value of the bikes, I’m anxious to protect them from prying eyes, as I have heard horror stories of people‘s electric bikes being stolen from the rear of campervans within days of purchase! On reflection, I should have kept our Westfalia Columbus which accommodated the bikes in the rear of the van under the bed

GeorgeG

We have just ordered one of these
Looks good, especially as the underneath is covered which will protect vulnerable electric motor. Not sure it will be deep enough for my two electric bikes spaced apart on the inside and outside rails of a 3 bike carrier. I assume it will work on a towbar mounted carrier, as it doesn’t say otherwise as most of the other manufacturers do.
please let us know how you get on when you try it.

Epigram

Looks good, especially as the underneath is covered which will protect vulnerable electric motor. Not sure it will be deep enough for my two electric bikes spaced apart on the inside and outside rails of a 3 bike carrier. I assume it will work on a towbar mounted carrier, as it doesn’t say otherwise as most of the other manufacturers do.
please let us know how you get on when you try it.
Hi George
As a follow up to your original post you may recall I messaged you about bikes and you kindly provided a useful and lengthy reply.
After prevarication and delay caused by covid and brexit. I pretty well followed your recommendation and have ended up with a Focus Thron2 6.8. Your advice was very much appreciated and the bike is serving my needs well for rides on roads and tracks in the French Alps. My wife prefers a more sedate Moustache step-through but they are both getting us to places we would not otherwise go.
The irony is that I forgot the purpose of your original post and the relatively cheap bike cover I bought is too small but just sufficient to keep away prying eyes.
I owe you a beer if our paths cross

GeorgeG

Hi Epigram,

Great that you’ve got the Focus. We bought ours through bikediscount.de with a discount of nearly £1,000 each, at the start of the first lockdown and literally days before they went up to full retail! Unfortunately they no longer ship bikes to the UK.

Sadly I’ve not ridden my bike for 6 months because I underwent major surgery at the end of January, but I will be back on it in the next day or two.

Another unfortunate consequence of my surgery was that I had to replace our MP with a small caravan that was more suitable for my situation. Not what I wanted, but having had 3 campervans and 2 caravans in the last 16 years, I knew what to expect.
There are obvious downsides, but a major plus is a 6’2”” bed and shower/toilet, as well as having a car to tour around in. However, we’ll miss the French/Spanish Aires we have made so much use of over the years.

I still find myself waving at the rare MP I see on the road - they must think I’m nuts!

Have fun with the van and bikes - I’m jealous.

George

Epigram

Very sorry to hear that you have been in hospital George. I hope all goes well for you and you are able to get out and about soon.
Best wishes
Epigram