Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning colour coded or standard colour?

Do you prefer the awning casing in original silver against a black body or colour coded to match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
1F8B17AB-69DC-4E4C-B25A-6497216AEACE.jpeg 01E554B5-70F2-4615-839E-BE68D6674FB9.jpeg
upload_2018-11-17_7-55-26.jpeg
upload_2018-11-17_7-56-14.jpeg

I have recently had my factory fit Thule 4900 body mounted awning wrapped to match the body exterior colour and thus try to blend it better to the style of the van, what are people’s thoughts?? Feel free to comment below and vote above!

Roy C

I have a cavansite blue MP but opted for the black awning from the extras list to blend in a bit better than the silver one, especially as I have the dark grey alloy wheels. I'm not bothered that it isn't an exact colour-match but thought it suited the dark theme better.

mptripsaway

The wrap looks great Kirk, something I have considered getting done but have not got around to it yet. May I ask who you used and what the cost was?

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Hi

It was a local company in Northamptonshire. Screen graphics in Grendon. the awning was really easy to remove (4 torx m6 bolts and then lift it off), and wrapped in three days. Cost was £260 which I think is reasonable for the finish and look.

mptripsaway

Hi

It was a local company in Northamptonshire. Screen graphics in Grendon. the awning was really easy to remove (4 torx m6 bolts and then lift it off), and wrapped in three days. Cost was £260 which I think is reasonable for the finish and look.

Thanks for that. I may check them out, they are only about 35miles from me here in South Lincolnshire.

GeorgeG

My take on the awning colour. On first encounter with an MP in the flesh, I thought the awning looked completely wrong and very awkward, attached to a vehicle with a slightly curved roof. The awning on the California, on the other hand, works very well aesthetically. Indeed, I decided if I was to order a new MP I would omit the awning.

I subsequently bought a pre-reg MP which was already fitted with a silver awning. It’s definitely worth having and works far better at keeping the sun out than our previous Fiat Ducato based Westfalia where the height of the awning often made it difficult to provide enough shade. Also, I’ve now got used to the look of it and whilst I am not convinced by the aesthetics, I think the practicality of the awning trumps the appearance.

Regarding colour, I read somewhere (possibly on this forum) that the advantage of a distinctive awning is that it at least signals that the vehicle is a camper and not an airport taxi, particularly if it’s black. When I see a V-Class approaching the first thing I do is look for an awning so I can decide to wave or not. My sister lives near Gatwick and the roads are clogged with black V-Class airport taxis which I definitely don’t wave at!

Last edited:
Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Haha, well I know what you mean! The eagle eyes can spot the roof conversion from the front onwards and from the side; well yes it’s difficult especially from the N/S!

I might pop the MarcoPolo Owners Club Logo on the side of the awning for absolute clarity.

Last edited:
Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Looks great.
Were the end caps spray painted?
Hi

No they were wrapped too, they remove quite easily with two screws so you can tuck in the vinyl very easily.

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Yes, but we got a pre-built MP so the choice wasn’t there...£300 wrap vs a brand new!! Easy choice.

tbu

Hi

Kirk
I need to lift the awning to access the awning channel. Would it be possible for you to tell me/confirm where the bolts are located? I can see two outward facing torx bolts on each of the metal mounting adapters secured to the vehicle but it’s not obvious that removing these bolts would allow the awning to be lifted off.
Thanks
Tom

Kirk Trewin

Kirk Trewin

VIP Member
Kirk
I need to lift the awning to access the awning channel. Would it be possible for you to tell me/confirm where the bolts are located? I can see two outward facing torx bolts on each of the metal mounting adapters secured to the vehicle but it’s not obvious that removing these bolts would allow the awning to be lifted off.
Thanks
Tom
Hello Tom

The only thing that secures the awning are two Torx bolts on the two brackets. Remove those and lift the awning off.....simple as that mate.

RFT

Yes, but we got a pre-built MP so the choice wasn’t there...£300 wrap vs a brand new!! Easy choice.

When I last looked a new anthracite awning was £550 assuming you use existing fittings. You could probably sell your 'old' awning for £200 - 250.

Steve B

I think the black casing definitely looks better on a dark MP, but I'm going to live with mine in silver. The only advantage to silver, as someone put in another thread, its the easiest way to spot another MP on the road v's the people carrier version