Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary heater.

BLCSO

Is there an easy way to tell if a vehicle is fitted with the optional heaters (text below C&P'ed from MP 2018 Brochure)

Diesel auxiliary heater Operates on fuel from the vehicle’s tank with a 5kW output Maximum heating period of 60 minutes 1,385.00
Diesel auxiliary night heater Engine independent with a 3kW output Continuous heating available in manual mode with no maximum heating period 2,660.00

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hi BLSCO,

I have an MP with the diesel Auxiliary Overnight Heater. The easiest way to check is to look for a heater grill at the base of the front passenger seat feeding air into the rear compartment.

Also, on the main control panel for the habitation functions, one of the icons should indicate a heater. On selecting this you will be able to turn the heating on and check that it works and blows air into the rear habitation compartment. You should also be able to program on and off times with different temperatures (a bit like your thermostat for your central heating at home!!).

Do not be fooled by the auxiliary water heater. The main function of this is to pre warm the engine prior to starting it at very low temperatures. The by product of this being warm air to the MP just like your standard car heater. It will not give you hot water to the tap. There has been much confusion in general around these heater options.

Would highly recommend the (expensive) auxiliary overnight heater !!

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveR

As Andy has said above, the easiest way to check if you have the heaters is to check the central control unit to see if you have an option to turn on the aux air heater under the passenger seat. For the 'water' heater, just look for the switch on the dashboard...

Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 13.55.14.png

BLCSO

Andy brilliant thanks for the reply. If you don't mind and really no rush would you put a picture up, picture paints a thousand words and all that... I assume the auxiliary overnight heater is the £2660 one listed above. I fear as they get older there will be people selling that don't necessarily know what they have. it seems that there is an awful lot listed on Autotrader etc with no mention of an aux heater.

BLCSO

As Andy has said above, the easiest way to check if you have the heaters is to check the central control unit to see if you have an option to turn on the aux air heater under the passenger seat. For the 'water' heater, just look for the switch on the dashboard...

View attachment 2234
Steve that's brilliant many thanks, you must have posted that as I was replying to Andy.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hi BLSCO,

Hope this helps (it’s the best I can do at present as I am not where my MP is !!) :

Let me know if you need anything else.

All the best.

BLCSO

Thanks very Much Andy those pictures are great
Hi BLSCO,

Hope this helps (it’s the best I can do at present as I am not where my MP is !!) :

Let me know if you need anything else.

All the best.

Tee

Let us know you found it. There are also none, one or two small exhaust pipes under the bottom of the van below the passenger seat (recessed) depending on the number of heaters.

Both heaters have great merits (if expensive).

The aux one can be run 3 times before you need to drive the van and can be set remotely from the app. Great in the morning and if stood on a freezing sports field watching. It’s part of the Merc spec.

The night heater is part of the Westfalia spec and is like a home thermostat and can be left on.

Both need to be regularly run per operating instructions (download the app based instructions as they are eas6 an comprehensive to use)

J

j200george

VIP Member
Wonder if anyone can share some wisdom. Just about to decide on one of two MPs. One has tow bar awning, amg, 360’ cameras and a 5th seat provision and supplied. The other base sport but with aux heater. The base sport has 5k more miles on it but is 2k dearer.

is the aux heater or lack of it a show stopper for the first car? Doubt we’d camp mid winter but wife can get a bit wimpy even in summer. (Me too lol)

SteveR

Wonder if anyone can share some wisdom. Just about to decide on one of two MPs. One has tow bar awning, amg, 360’ cameras and a 5th seat provision and supplied. The other base sport but with aux heater. The base sport has 5k more miles on it but is 2k dearer.

is the aux heater or lack of it a show stopper for the first car? Doubt we’d camp mid winter but wife can get a bit wimpy even in summer. (Me too lol)
What kind of camping are you intending?
If it's always on full site with hookup then I'd suggest a cheap fan heater from Argos to take the chill off and go with the first. If you are intending to go off grid, maybe the second is better.
But really only you can tell whether you are likely to benefit from say, the towbar? Same with camera, seats etc

J

j200george

VIP Member
^^^ I am such a newbie that I didn’t appreciate the on grid/ off grid aspect. It’s unlikely we’d be camping off grid in the winter that said in Scotland it’s rarely summer.

the tow bar, awning and cameras will be used more often I reckon. Think that car is winning at present.

BLCSO

I was in the same predicament as you George. However after thinking about it I decided that a heater really wasn't a show stopper for me and as been mentioned you could just buy a cheap fan heater. I figured if it was a choice between freezing to death I'd just switcht he engine on and let it tick over, but figure I'm never going to be in that position. What I really wanted was the 250 AMG so I've gone with that and very happy. They really are a cracking vehicle

Steve B

We have used our heater(s) a few times but not often, but we have had a big covid gap in our usage. I think its peace of mind as you can't always get a hook up. Good retro fit options out there.

D

DogWagen

VIP Member
I bought without a diesel heater but with awning and factory tow pack. We've used our MP regularly over the past 9 months (1st trip in December!!) and use a small ceramic fan heater when hooked-up (about £20). What really makes the difference to the interior temperature when parked up is the pop-top insulation - regardless of season.

The Webasto (or Eperspacher) retrofit is about £1600 according to Tim Puslow) and I'm told that there are others than can do the job for less - the only variable is the size of Ad Blue tank (mine is 25litres which makes it a bit more expensive due to extra insulation etc)

Steve B

What really makes the difference to the interior temperature when parked up is the pop-top insulation - regardless of season.
Agree, we have the external insulated wrap. Its good in the summer as it still lets hot air vent out at the very top but keeps the van relatively cool in direct sunlight.

Steph BB

Hi,

Wonder if you can tell me where managed to do the retrofit with the adblue tank being under the passenger side (uk).

I have now taken her to 2 garages and had it off the road to be told 2 days later that they can't figure out a way to do it on 2019 plus vehicles as they adblue is in the way!

I'm desperate to get this fitted and go on adventures but I'm west central Scotland and don't fancy the nights without a heater and 2 kids.

TIA