Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary Heater Remote Control Range

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
I have just been checking out the remote control for the auxiliary heater which works beautifully from inside/outside the vehicle. I was just wondering what range this will operate from? We haven’t had a chance to try it from a distance yet. So for example if we have taken the dog for a long walk on a cold day - is it possible to switch the heater on from a mile away?

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
I think the range is in the order of 300 meters. This is what I seem to recall reading in the MP additional manual. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Dundry

If you have or get Mercedes Me and download the app you can switch it on remotely on your phone as long as there’s signal.

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
I can’t seem to find any heating control on the Mercedes Me app?

Dundry

You may have to subscribe and pay for it. I can’t recall if it was an extra, but this is wwhat the app shows on mine

Attachments

• 0401781C-27C2-4859-83C9-A12F2D6EFA29.png
    0401781C-27C2-4859-83C9-A12F2D6EFA29.png
    771.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 01207478-C793-40EB-8969-E302CD6D0861.jpeg
    01207478-C793-40EB-8969-E302CD6D0861.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 65
rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Definitely don’t have that screen on my app at the moment but that is exactly what I was hoping to find. I will look into finding out how to add this to the app. Thanks for the information.

WILLH

You only get app control with the water(engine coolant)heater.It doesn’t work with the air heater however I think you could programme a time for the air heater to come on in the main control unit

rovimor

rovimor

VIP Member
Ah - ok thanks. I will just have to get used to the timer

Does the remote come as standard with the night heater? We are expecting our new MP imminently and if there is no remote I wondered if we could order one directly from Eberspacher instead of paying MP for the pleasure...

Thanks Dundry. Will be interesting to see if they have fitted the console unit as I have a Horizon due for delivery soon. Manual roof, no fridge etc. so if fitted, I think it will only be used to control the optional heater.

Have you had any issues heating the upstairs? In a VW camper we tried, it was roasting downstairs and freezing up above... I read somewhere about people fitting collapsible tumble dryer tubes to the vent to try to get warm air upstairs...

GeorgeG

Thanks Dundry. Will be interesting to see if they have fitted the console unit as I have a Horizon due for delivery soon. Manual roof, no fridge etc. so if fitted, I think it will only be used to control the optional heater.

Have you had any issues heating the upstairs? In a VW camper we tried, it was roasting downstairs and freezing up above... I read somewhere about people fitting collapsible tumble dryer tubes to the vent to try to get warm air upstairs...

Hymer offer an extension tube for the Eberspacher/Webasto heaters on the Fiat-based vans. I guess they will be expensive, but may provide ideas. I seem to remember though, when I saw them at the Motorhome show in Düsseldorf , the tube connects into a circular plate on the floor. It may be more difficult to connect a circular tube to the MP warm air outlet.

Dundry

Hi, no I’ve not had a chance to “cold test” my van yet but will do over the Xmas break. I am in the process of insulating the roof space with some insulation blanket from the builders merchants so will feed back.

Sounds interesting, Dundry! I look forward to hearing/seeing more.

Would you be able to post a pic of the vent for the warm air heater please? I will then try to form a plan of attack...

Dundry

Apologies for the delay, attached are photo’s of the heater vents. The one in the middle of the seats below the centre carpet is the outlet for the auxiliary (water) heater. The one beneath the passenger seat is the auxiliary hot air heater.

To date I have found both useful. The auxillary (water) heater - which doesn’t heat water, can be set remotely and is really useful to warm up the van before setting off on a journey.

The hot air heater is good as the temp can be set and will keep the van warm (albeit it can get too warm). It s also useful to dry out the van if its been wet or there is condensation before closing the roof.

As to whether you need both, I suspect not. The hot air heater is probably only really necessary for all year use.

Attachments

• 912CD19C-C008-4232-80D8-3071553CA49F.jpeg
    912CD19C-C008-4232-80D8-3071553CA49F.jpeg
    864.6 KB · Views: 48
  • F0E8987C-7636-42DF-8A03-F350E79B9ED5.jpeg
    F0E8987C-7636-42DF-8A03-F350E79B9ED5.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 47

GeorgeG

Apologies for the delay, attached are photo’s of the heater vents. The one in the middle of the seats below the centre carpet is the outlet for the auxiliary (water) heater. The one beneath the passenger seat is the auxiliary hot air heater.

To date I have found both useful. The auxillary (water) heater - which doesn’t heat water, can be set remotely and is really useful to warm up the van before setting off on a journey.

The hot air heater is good as the temp can be set and will keep the van warm (albeit it can get too warm). It s also useful to dry out the van if its been wet or there is condensation before closing the roof.

As to whether you need both, I suspect not. The hot air heater is probably only really necessary for all year use.

I have both heaters - fortunately and unusually both were specified by the dealer on my pre-reg MP. I consider the warm air heater essential, even though we don’t generally camp between late October and early April.

In three ‘vans over 12 years we’ve always had either Webasto or Eberspacher blown air diesel heaters. It’s surprising how often we put the heater to use. For example: the Highlands in June, Dartmoor in April, the Lakes in October and even Provence on a particularly bad day in early June.

I wouldn’t specify a new van without the heater, despite the cost. Buyers like me who’ve owned a California, where the Webasto heater is standard, will expect there to be an auxiliary heater and the lack of one may subsequently have a deleterious effect on resale value.

JackieW

I have just been checking out the remote control for the auxiliary heater which works beautifully from inside/outside the vehicle. I was just wondering what range this will operate from? We haven’t had a chance to try it from a distance yet. So for example if we have taken the dog for a long walk on a cold day - is it possible to switch the heater on from a mile away?
I have the remote it lights up ON or OFF but doesn’t work all the time hit and miss. Do you have to set up the remote control device?

Steve B

I have the remote it lights up ON or OFF but doesn’t work all the time hit and miss. Do you have to set up the remote control device?
Jackie - The remote needs to be paired, and if it will activate the heating when near the MP then its OK. Its range is stated 300m (the only long distance test I did was a couple of miles, and it didn't work) and the main benefit is you can adjust time on and off in advance. I tend to use the mercedes me phone app as it can start /stop it from anywhere with a phone signal.