Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary battery replacement. Good and bad news.

PeeGee

Some good news - and some bad news..... The auxiliary battery on my MP which is 2 1/2 years old was losing power and gave a warning beep when I tried to raise the roof unless plugged into the mains if I had been parked for more than half an hour.
I assumed it would be regarded as wear and tear and not covered by warranty but needed to get it sorted anyway ready for our holiday so I booked it in to Mercedes Northampton for replacement.
When they checked it out they told me that it should not lose power like that and was covered on the 3 year warranty for replacement.
The bad news was that apparently no leisure batteries are available! They are on ‘back order’ from the factory and don’t know when one will be available! They were not aware of any being available anywhere else in the country ( does anyone know anything to the contrary?) and assured me that no alternative battery could be used - and would in any event invalidate the warranty.
Does anyone know whether the electric roof can be raised and lowered manually? And if so, how? I couldn’t find anything in the manual.
Any help very much appreciated.

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
It's possible to lower the roof in the event of a battery failure but I don't think raising manually is possible.

Really good that MB are replacing the battery under warranty. I would have though that as it's a consumable item, unless they could tell there was a manufacturing fault it would be treated much like tyres, wiper blades brake pads etc which they wouldn't replace because of premature wear.

Hyrule

Some good news - and some bad news..... The auxiliary battery on my MP which is 2 1/2 years old was losing power and gave a warning beep when I tried to raise the roof unless plugged into the mains if I had been parked for more than half an hour.
I assumed it would be regarded as wear and tear and not covered by warranty but needed to get it sorted anyway ready for our holiday so I booked it in to Mercedes Northampton for replacement.
When they checked it out they told me that it should not lose power like that and was covered on the 3 year warranty for replacement.
The bad news was that apparently no leisure batteries are available! They are on ‘back order’ from the factory and don’t know when one will be available! They were not aware of any being available anywhere else in the country ( does anyone know anything to the contrary?) and assured me that no alternative battery could be used - and would in any event invalidate the warranty.
Does anyone know whether the electric roof can be raised and lowered manually? And if so, how? I couldn’t find anything in the manual.
Any help very much appreciated.
PeeGee,
I posted the same issue with Mercedes Milton Keynes a couple of months ago. No leisure batteries in the UK and back order from Germany. I went through the options for an alternative. I was also p**sed off but I got a call three days later to say they were back in stock in the factory and it took about three days to et over here so all ended well. Hopefully, yours will be just as quick.
My Marco was pre used by Mercedes and I think had stood around for a year or so. Driving it back from the dealer, there was a bad burning smell from under the seat and I think the battery was melting when a charge was put into it. Seems we should make sure we use the battery regularly to stop its failure. Mine was only a couple of years old as well. Good luck.

PeeGee

Thanks - I did a search because I recollected seeing something about it but couldn’t find your post. I’m a bit useless when it comes to using an online Forum. Need a tutorial!
Unfortunately we leave for France on Wednesday so will have to find a way to manage… hence my question about manual operation.
hope it’s waiting when I get home ready for the next trip.

Method7

If this was me I think I would probably slot in a suitable replacement just for the trip and swap it back when MB call you to re-fit the new part. What a PITA…