Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone tow with their MP

Blackrat

As per the title does anyone here use their MP to tow anything?
Our plan is to use ours for our frequent trips between here and our apartment in Spain so we don’t have to blat down in two days. For touring holidays we plan to tow our caravan with it. We would then use the MP as a day van.
Ours has the towing pack fitted so has the uprated cooling etc. It means it’s plated to tow 2500 kgs so all is good on paper but wondering if anyone has any real life experience.
Thanks in advance.

PeeGee

We bought our MP 6 weeks ago with the same plan in mind -except that our place is in the French Pyrenees - but like you we haven’t had chance to put it to the test yet. So I will be very interested in any other replies you get.
We have seen lots of people towing with VW campers so I don’t anticipate any problems. We bought ours second hand and it has the towing pack but I’m intrigued by your comment about ‘unrated cooling’. I wasn’t aware of that. Is it standard with the towing pack?

Blackrat

Hi,
My understanding is that part of the factory towing pack includes uprated cooling for engine and gearbox which increases the towing capacity from 2000 to 2500 kgs. Likewise we have seen several VW’s towing caravans. The weight of the MP together with rear wheel drive should make a good tow vehicle. Can’t wait to try it out!

Blackrat

Hi,
Yeah several times.
We are based near Southampton. So far we have had three separate weeks away to the Lake District, Cornwall and the Cotswolds.
Our caravan is around 1400 kg and 7 meters in length.
We are very impressed by how the MP tows. Very stable and plenty of power even though it’s the 220.
When away it really is the best of both worlds. Lovely spacious caravan with a fixed bed and fitted shower/toilet and the MP to use as a day van for exploring.
We are very happy with our choices!

Grand Tourismo

Hi,
Yeah several times.
We are based near Southampton. So far we have had three separate weeks away to the Lake District, Cornwall and the Cotswolds.
Our caravan is around 1400 kg and 7 meters in length.
We are very impressed by how the MP tows. Very stable and plenty of power even though it’s the 220.
When away it really is the best of both worlds. Lovely spacious caravan with a fixed bed and fitted shower/toilet and the MP to use as a day van for exploring.
We are very happy with our choices!
Fabulous review, and just as I hoped that it would work for us...can I ask the weight of the van you quote as 1400kg, is that the MTPLM or MIRO weight?
I am looking at a van with 1681kg MIRO and 1841 MTPLM

Blackrat

Hi,
1400 is the MTPLM, Miro is around 1250 so not a huge van by any means but the MP handles it effortlessly. It went up Shap on the M6 without breaking into a sweat. I’m sure it would be fine for practically any caravan on the market.

Last edited:

Grand Tourismo

Hi,
1400 is the MTPLM, Miro is around 1250 so not a huge van by any means but the MP handles it effortlessly. It went up Sharp on the M6 without breaking into a sweat. I’m sure it would be fine for practical any caravan on the market.
Cheers Blackrat, I'll let you know...we bit the bullet on a new 'van today o_O

Grand Tourismo

Do tell more, what did you get. Whatever it is I’m sure you won’t regret it.
We have a deposit down on a Coachman Laser 665, it will be PDI'd and I guess we will collect in early July. MTPLM 1886KG, MP Kerb Weight 2453KG, comfortably inside the "85% rule", and under the 2000/2500KG towing capacity...a van and 'van total shipping length of 13.03mtr, so finding a parking spot may take a little longer now!!

Blackrat

Very nice, Coachman have a good reputation. I thought our outfit was long at just over 12 m, it will look very impressive.
With regards to towing mirrors I’m still undecided. I have a set from my previous car which I tried on our first outing but they seemed to be far too wide.
I tried the test without mirrors which DVSA would use if they stopped me which is to measure 20 m back from the car mirror then 4 m out. You have to be able to see everything within that area.
I was happy that I complied with that and certainly don’t have any visibility problems on the road. I do however carry my towing mirrors just in case they take a different view! I’d be interested to hear your thoughts once you’ve used your new van.

Blackrat

Forgot to add that the mirrors I have are Milenco Aeros. They seem to be a good fit for the MP, pretty secure and vibration free.
I have previously had the cheaper ones that fix on with rubber straps which I haven’t found as success.

Grand Tourismo

Well here you go Blackrat, the only photo I could get with the 'van connected up was in the dealership picking up the Coachman.
(problem was that I could not get back far enough so had to take a panorama shot)

First thoughts are epic. As a shakedown we left directly after this photo and towed up the A5 to a site near Corwen, Wales...which has some narrow bits and the odd decent gradient of 10% or so.
I had left the MP performance in "E" setting without thinking and it managed it just fine. All up we must be towing about 2000kg.
I think if we had to tackle any steeper gradient I would drop into "C" mode for the duration.
Width wise the Coachman is not much wider than the MP so no need for towing mirrors in my opinion, however pulling out to overtake on a dual carriageway which was bending to the left was "interesting" ...not sure mirrors would have helped but one to watch out for the future.
The twin axle behaves very well, without the feeling of "the tail wagging the dog"...it's very stable even over uneven road surfaces that by rights should have it hopping about a little.
Really nothing to report on the towing experience, just feels a tad heavier, slower to accelerate than usual...if I had to be picky I would say the twin axle has a tendency to slightly cut the corner rather than tracking neatly behind, but I have measured this to be roughly 6" or 15cm...so if I apply normal towing "rules" to cornering and add in about another 12" clearance it easily clears.

* One thing I just found out the night before collecting the 'van was that you should really strip the beautiful black paint of the Wesatfalia tow ball part of the factory tow hitch in order for the caravan Al-Ko stabiliser hitch to work correctly.

-

As for the Coachman I probably should save that review for another forum!!

View attachment IMG_7981.jpg

Blackrat

Hi GT,
Good to hear that your collection day went well and to hear all of the positive comments.
It sounds as though you are as impressed with the MP/caravan combination as we are!
It certainly looks impressive in the photo.
With regards to the gearbox mode ours defaults to C each time the engine is started. I haven’t experimented with it when towing. I did try E a few times when solo but I found the difference minimal.
I have experimented with towing mirrors and think they do assist so now use them all the time. I also have read on some caravan forums of increased enforcement by DVSA on the subject.
The towball does need to be free from paint and totally clean or the friction pads in the tow hitch stabilizer will be contaminated. This will make it less efficient and cause groaning noises.
Have a great holiday and enjoy your new toy!

Samebutdifferent

Samebutdifferent

VIP Member
..............Smart looking caravan though:cool:

Grand Tourismo

And I thought you were a convert to campervans @Grand Tourismo but you turn out to be a Tugger:D
:D

Although it seems like I have a foot in both camps I actually feel like I am in an exclusive club of two. I am sure Blackrat will confirm that towing with the MP is not "normal" tugging (as you politely put it! :Thumbs up:) and camping with the MP has much more advantage over what is normally a compromise situation.
Just got home from a few nights in Wales where the M'home camper next to me had to cycle off to get a new gas bottle (he left too quick before I could offer assistance)...the T5 and VW Brazil Bay cooked, ate and sat outside for 16 hours per day in 30c and the caravan owners had to march with the masses whenever/wherever they went out....whilst the MP provided us with a great towing experience (all be it at 25mpg), and then fun in the N Wales twisties, followed by fully serviced stealth days out by the seaside or lakeside, awesome experience.
Give it a go SBD and then tell me you don't enjoy a Tug! :D:D:D