Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone taken delivery yet of 2021 model?

Hello Everyone,

We've got one on order but have to wait till June. Anyone taken delivery yet of the new model with MBUX? I watched a video earlier (from Germany) and it seems to suggest they've done away with the old fashioned camper control unit and it's all now in the MBUX system (fridge / roof etc), and can all be controlled from a phone app. Looks super cool. Is this standard now in the UK too? Also the latest brochure online issued this month (Jan 2021) shows a basket in the fridge so again is this now standard? Any other changes anyone noticed from previous?

Epigram

I have MBux on my my GL300d whereas our MP has Command navigation.
I have just about got used to MBUX after a 1000 mile journey through France.
Neither navigation system is anything to write home about. I suspect they are using identical map data and route calculation algorithms.

The MBUX touch pad is oversensitive and there is nowhere to rest your hand.
Instead of turning a knob you have to move over the touchpad which is very erratic while driving. I therefore resort to using the touchscreen. I find when driving I have to take my eyes off the road longer to use a touch screen than turning the knob with the Command system. Neither is particularly safe.
I don’t get on particularly well with the MBUX verbal instructions. It usually ends up in an argument and I have to pull over to insert instructions manually.
In relation to other controls, why have a 20 - 30 second conversation with “Hey Mercedes” to turn the heater up when can reach over to touch a switch?
In fact “Hey Mercedes” is now disabled through interrupting trying to join in conversations when not invited.
I have also disabled the “Augmented Reality“ Why have a picture of the road ahead, when you can look at a much bigger picture out of the windscreen?
All of this is a pity because initially I was quite excited about getting MBUX in my 300d but, overall, IMO solutions looking for problems and not a significant improvement in some areas.
I am sorry if the above sounds negative, its the opinion of a GROM (grumpy old man) who prefers flicking a switch or turning a knob to touching a screen or arguing with Alexa or Siri.

Integrating the camper controls into MBUX is a different matter: The old Westfalia control unit looks dated. It will free up space in the central compartment and it will be neater and more convenient to have all controls in one place.
It would be great if the camping heater were controlled by the errant ”Hey Mercedes” voice commands but I am already imagining problems of talking in my sleep or how snoring will be interpreted. Not to mention ”Hey Mercedes” lowering the roof in the middle of the night or causing the fridge to turn off.

BTW You can enter destinations as ///What Three Word destinations with MBUX. This is already becoming a lockdown pastime of converting favourite destinations to the most inappropriate or unlikely three words combinations.

Stay safe everyone.

Yorkysimon

I’m the opposite i have MBUX in my GLC and its brilliant, hey mercedes is great it just take time for it to learn your accent and things but I rarely have to use touch screen or touch pad now , Ive had other prestige make but i do find this the easiest to use , and I’m a grumpy old git as many friends will confirm,
cheers simon

jeremywicks

Having mine delivered next week. 2021 300d AMG Line. Really looking forward to it. First i've had of this type of vehicle and cant wait to see what its like. They look so nice and anyone i speak to who has a MP cant say a bad word about them :) Now just trying to find somewhere with the 907 gas bottles!

Epigram

Having mine delivered next week. 2021 300d AMG Line. Really looking forward to it. First i've had of this type of vehicle and cant wait to see what its like. They look so nice and anyone i speak to who has a MP cant say a bad word about them :) Now just trying to find somewhere with the 907 gas bottles!
Go Outdoors or Halfords for 907bottle if you are allowed out!
Have fun and enjoy !

Just a thought. It will be interesting to see what the classification is on the V5C - see other posts?

Last edited:

WillC

My MP is being delivered tomorrow, same model Jeremy. I got the gas bottle from Halfords, but it comes empty, so far not found anywhere open to fill it...but that's minor detail. I believe all the controls are in the new mbux, but talking to dealer, they were pretty sure you can't control the auxiliary heating via the phone app, but guess I will find out for sure in next few days. Enjoy your new MP.

P

Phil Melville

VIP Member
Hello Everyone,

We've got one on order but have to wait till June. Anyone taken delivery yet of the new model with MBUX? I watched a video earlier (from Germany) and it seems to suggest they've done away with the old fashioned camper control unit and it's all now in the MBUX system (fridge / roof etc), and can all be controlled from a phone app. Looks super cool. Is this standard now in the UK too? Also the latest brochure online issued this month (Jan 2021) shows a basket in the fridge so again is this now standard? Any other changes anyone noticed from previous?
Hi, yes we took delivery 3 weeks ago. MBUX seems to control everything. No baskets in fridge but we have got one from Campervantastic. Shower curtain needs special order.

WillC

Hi I took delivery last week. The new control panel is great, but the functionality doesn't work on smart phone. I thought it would as some of the promotional videos show the roof operating from a phone. I have spoken with the dealer and apparently, not being rolled out for UK market, which seems odd. This is the same for the auxiliary heater, on the new mbux, you can't program an on or off time like you can on the old control panel, it's either on or off, and no option to do anything on the phone either. Have to say was a bit disappointed. Please if anyone has found a way to operate items like the auxiliary heater, fridge, roof via a smartphone please let me know, you can lock and unlock the van via a phone.

P

Phil Melville

VIP Member
Hi again,

still getting to grips with our new Marco Polo. Charging the auxiliary battery using a cable to our house main is taking a very long time. At around 80% it virtually stops charging. We have had BMW i3 cars and a fixed charging point for 3 years now and understand the sort of 80% easy charge level but this does seem very long winded. Any comments please.

WillC

phil, just wondered if you improved on 81%, got a hook up cable today, so will probably plug mains in and see if my leisure battery goes higher.

P

Phil Melville

VIP Member
No. It seems to gain about 2% an hour and I had to move things today so unplugged it. We have had a couple of i3 electric cars and there does seem to be a lot of emphasis on the speed of various charges to arrive at an 80% charge. Over time our current i3 does get up to 100% overnight but it’s performance is very dependent on the temperature-weather . We are beginning to think a similar situation applies with this auxiliary battery in that over time it should be easier to fully top it up. I guess this is something to be aware of in the early days. I have been quite unable to get any worthwhile response from Mercedes .

Blackrat

I see that some of you are talking about the % of the state of your leisure battery. Where or how are you getting that information as I couldn’t find it on my control panel.
When plugged in to the mains I get a bar graph going from one to ten to indicate that the battery is charging.
If I unplug the graph remains steady ( at the moment on 9) and the battery shows 12.6 v but no % reading that I can find.
Thanks in advance.

P

Phil Melville

VIP Member
Hello Everyone,

We got ours four weeks ago - no basket in fridge but we have bought one. The dashboard technology is very good.