Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone taken delivery yet of 2021 model?

DPS20K

Hi. I was one of the people who had issues with registering our new MP. Mercedes Benz Retail Group we’re not sure how to do it as a motor caravan. They sorted it out after a 2 week delay and it is quite simple apparently. It can be done online very quickly and they just have to change the vehicle type to Motor Caravan. The V5 arrived a couple of days later and all was as it should be.

DPS20K

MBRG are a wholly owned subsidiary of Mercedes Benz AG and have dealerships in and around London. We collected from their Watford showroom but we actually used Carwow for quotes and MBRG came up cheapest.

V

Vickim

VIP Member
Hi, Vickim,

Just noticed your question to Phil. From my experience when I purchased a new car recently.

All MB dealers have received notification from management that when they (the dealership) register the vehicle with DVLC they input Motor caravan and PLG. You will see they pay the first year tax (from memory about £280). The vehicle doesn't qualify for the higher tax in subsequent years. This does not apply to "Horizon" model of Marco Polos. I think it was clarified in April 2021. Recently observed from this site dealers having sold MPs are tending to do this all over the country. Observed also that some on here have just received their vehicles and all gone quiet having raised this issue in other posts. Can only surmise all is well. Anyway knowledge is power and I hope this puts your mind at ease. So when you choose your MP just have that conversation for clarification and peace of mind.
Thank you so much for this clarification. To be honest reading all these posts gets pretty confusing
So we appreciated your reply!
See you on the road!

Marc o Polo

Thanks for that DPS20K. I would have expected a franchise dealer (maybe) to be a bit hesitant, but MBRG should have known....? Anyway, you have a wonderful vehicle and from my two months' experience the car only improves the more you drive it. Sounds madness, but the driving experience does actually improve, as I believe it tunes in to your lifestyle. I love "Hey Mercedes" - I told it (her?) so, too, on a drive the other day and it said "and I like spending time with you too".... just utter madness, but so cool - the family cracked up!

I have had a great response from the people involved in selling me the car, but even they admit they are not that well clued up on the vehicle as the spec changes slightly and they haven't in the past sold so many compared to other cars on the forecourt. On the whole I just don't know why I didn't have one before - really is the best car I've ever had.

EDIT:

Vickim - Franchise dealers are great for comparison but do tend to be more expensive...

Last edited:
P

Phil Melville

VIP Member
Hi, we bought ours from the Mercedes website and it came from Grimsby. I have to say that my experience is that Mercedes UK know very little about the Marco Polo and are less than helpful if you want official Westfalia accessories. But the van is amazing and we have had lots of fun in a few short trips.
We have had our Marco Polo painted on the lower half and it looks fantastic. We call it de vanning it ! Shortly -we hope - we will have an awning attached. Already have the shower curtain etc.

Attachments

• B84E24D6-5BC4-45E3-8119-5311EAB34B4B.jpeg
    B84E24D6-5BC4-45E3-8119-5311EAB34B4B.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 43

The fat controller

We have had our Marco Polo painted on the lower half and it looks fantastic. We call it de vanning it ! Shortly -we hope - we will have an awning attached. Already have the shower curtain etc.
Nice work!

Good to see a bit of individuality there, it often can feel like there are fewer options for that kind of thing with the MP compared to a cali.

I'm guessing a wrap wasn't an option due to the trim line not coinciding with a panel gap?

Chris

Just collected our new Marco Polo today, original order in Sep2020. V300d AMG Line. It's beautiful!
Many thanks to all the posts on here that have helped us find water drainage taps and other bits and pieces as we play with it on our drive.
In response to some comment on this thread.....
Aux battery up to 87%, registration document correct with Motor Caravan and PLG, so looking good. I think for MBUX on the phone we need to buy another service, haven't worked out which one yet.
Looking forward to to night's first sleep in the roof!

Marc o Polo

Hey Chris, That's great! I was in the middle of a food order and your message came thro on phone, no contest, just had to reply... and share your pleasure!! It's great when things go well.. I've never slept in the roof yet...only because you can't budge me from the bottom one...Just sublime.. Better get back to me Kidney beans before I lose me slot. Keep smiling.

Which colour did you choose? I don't know why I ask that but I find myself interested to know. Bye for now.

Chris

Hey Chris, That's great! I was in the middle of a food order and your message came thro on phone, no contest, just had to reply... and share your pleasure!! It's great when things go well.. I've never slept in the roof yet...only because you can't budge me from the bottom one...Just sublime.. Better get back to me Kidney beans before I lose me slot. Keep smiling.

Which colour did you choose? I don't know why I ask that but I find myself interested to know. Bye for now.
Cavansite blue, which is quite stunning in the flesh.

Steve B

Great weather to collect in, and to have a trip out at the weekend. Hope you enjoy the 'how it all works' discovery process as well.

The fat controller

So, we finally got our 220d sport delivered yesterday... A good day!

Very happy with the vehicle, quality is lovely and all very much as expected really. I'll send some pics in due course but at the moment it's on our ugly drive and I can't move it due to an achilles tendon rupture! Soon though...

I do have a question for anyone in recent receipt of a new one - do you have a spare wheel? I can't see one (although looking underneath is tricky in current condition) and there seems to be no jack or relevant tools. Also no sign of the supposed flap you remove at the rear to access it. All this leads me to believe the spare has been ditched, although I do hope someone will correct me!

In addition, I have set up MBUX and MBAC and have no issues operating all the above, including the open/close roof function from my phone. If I can offer any assistance in that area then I'll be more than happy to finally be of use on the forum!

Thanks to all who have posted & helped me to keep the faith over the past 10 months!!

Phil

Congratulations! Hope you get to enjoy it soon and look forward to the pics.

As for a spare wheel, well honestly I hadn’t given it a thought! But now you mention I don’t appear to have one assuming it’s at the back below the tailgate and would have no clue what to do if I got a puncture. I’ve not discovered any gunk or blowup device either.

How do u get the roof open/close on the phone? Mine doesn’t have that but would be great if it did.

Grand Tourismo

So, we finally got our 220d sport delivered yesterday... A good day!

Very happy with the vehicle, quality is lovely and all very much as expected really. I'll send some pics in due course but at the moment it's on our ugly drive and I can't move it due to an achilles tendon rupture! Soon though...

I do have a question for anyone in recent receipt of a new one - do you have a spare wheel? I can't see one (although looking underneath is tricky in current condition) and there seems to be no jack or relevant tools. Also no sign of the supposed flap you remove at the rear to access it. All this leads me to believe the spare has been ditched, although I do hope someone will correct me!

In addition, I have set up MBUX and MBAC and have no issues operating all the above, including the open/close roof function from my phone. If I can offer any assistance in that area then I'll be more than happy to finally be of use on the forum!

Thanks to all who have posted & helped me to keep the faith over the past 10 months!!

Phil
Finally Phil, so pleased for you and another big welcome :Welcome:
The storage compartment is on the right as you look in to the boot space at about the level of the stowage compartment lid....if you have one you should find two plastic screw fasteners about the size of Heineken bottle bottoms which twist to open ? I guess it is possible that MB have ditched the spare wheel and tool kit but there must be somewhere to store the towing kit if you have one etc?

Happy figuring out how it all works!!

The fat controller

Thanks guys!

I have the compartment for the tools but nothing in it! There was a triangle and towing eye supplied in a bag which can live there but no jack. It's the small plastic cover by the boot closer I don't seem to have, into which you insert the tool to lower the spare. I'm 99% it does without but that's a new concept for me, especially in a vehicle that I hope to be roaming far in!

Paul, if you download the MBAC app onto you phone this gives you remote control of the camping functions. I'm not sure it's genuinely useful but it's a fun toy!

Grand Tourismo

Thanks guys!

I have the compartment for the tools but nothing in it! There was a triangle and towing eye supplied in a bag which can live there but no jack. It's the small plastic cover by the boot closer I don't seem to have, into which you insert the tool to lower the spare. I'm 99% it does without but that's a new concept for me, especially in a vehicle that I hope to be roaming far in!

Paul, if you download the MBAC app onto you phone this gives you remote control of the camping functions. I'm not sure it's genuinely useful but it's a fun toy!
The spare wheel lowering point on my 2017 MP is roughly 25cm right of centre on the rear bumper, just between the door seal and bumper top... there is a Torx bolt and next to that is a square rubber flat bung thing that you need to remove to find the access hole.

Is your MP fitted with run flat tyres maybe? or do you 100% rely on the MB RAC guy?

pumpsmynads

Thanks guys!

Congrats. I don’t have the remote stuff yet but Tony told me I may need to call mbuk which I haven’t had time to do yet. Did you do all the ID checks and stuff in the set up?
Mine shows as incomplete configuration.

Attachments

• 2F40131D-59C2-44FB-809F-6FE994F289A7.png
    2F40131D-59C2-44FB-809F-6FE994F289A7.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

The fat controller

Congrats. I don’t have the remote stuff yet but Tony told me I may need to call mbuk which I haven’t had time to do yet. Did you do all the ID checks and stuff in the set up?
Mine shows as incomplete configuration.
Tony sent a link for the Mercedes me which took me to where you are there. You can then sign up for (paid) services such as tracking, stolen vehicle recovery, map updates, etc. If you wish.

That is however distinct from MBAC which controls the camper functions via the van's Bluetooth, which is a free service.

So you have the Mme app and also the MBAC apps both available depending on which functions you want (or both, of course).

The fat controller

Oh and also PMN to add that there was a delay of several hours between my setting up Mme and that screen updating to say it had recognised my vehicle.