Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone had Mercedes retro-fit a tow bar and upgrade cooling system...?

Kiwi Ange

Hi there. Has anyone had Mercedes retro-fit a tow bar and upgrade the cooling system? I'm interested in your experience of the installation and if you've towed anything and what the MP is like at towing...?

Also, is there anything (other than the cost!!) negative about the official Mercedes tow bar retro-fit and cooling system upgrade in terms of how the van drives day to day (not towing)? Compromised performance? Less fuel efficiency? More wear and tear?

Many thanks in advance. Ange

SteveR

....Also, is there anything (other than the cost!!) negative about the official Mercedes tow bar retro-fit and cooling system upgrade in terms of how the van drives day to day (not towing)? Compromised performance? Less fuel efficiency? More wear and tear?
Not retro-fitted but I have the removable towbar as a factory fitted option. Makes no difference to how the van drives as far as I can tell.
Not sure what the cooling system upgrade is that you refer to though. I didn't know this was either part of the fitting or as an option?

Kiwi Ange

Not retro-fitted but I have the removable towbar as a factory fitted option. Makes no difference to how the van drives as far as I can tell.
Not sure what the cooling system upgrade is that you refer to though. I didn't know this was either part of the fitting or as an option?
Thanks Steve. Yes, if Mercedes put a tow bar on they upgrade the cooling systems with a new fan or radiator (?) and something about replacing the gearbox/transmission oil. Hence why the cost is so high. They won't be responsible for any engine issue otherwise if suspected the issue was caused by towing. They also do something with the electrics to disable the rear sensors and camera. I'm still trying to get my head around that. I'm assuming that it's only disabled whilst at trailer/bike rack is on it, but enabled again once the the trailer/bike rack is removed. Would love to get the work done by a dealer that has experience doing the retrofitting. Seems hard to find anyone who can speak confidently about working on a MP!

SteveR

....They also do something with the electrics to disable the rear sensors and camera. I'm still trying to get my head around that. I'm assuming that it's only disabled whilst at trailer/bike rack is on it, but enabled again once the the trailer/bike rack is removed. Would love to get the work done by a dealer that has experience doing the retrofitting. Seems hard to find anyone who can speak confidently about working on a MP!
I believe you are correct; the sensors are disabled when you plug in to the towing electrics and enabled when you unplug. Makes total sense really.
As far as the retro-fit goes, why can't your local MB dealer fit? I wouldn't expect any difference to a standard V-class??

Kiwi Ange

The dealer we're getting it from can't do it as apparently they don't have a spare ramp with the weight load spec that can be out of use for 6-7 hours, which is apparently how long it takes. So they have to send it to another one. I was just looking for a recommendation as it seems some dealers don't have much experience with the MP.

SteveR

The dealer we're getting it from can't do it as apparently they don't have a spare ramp with the weight load spec that can be out of use for 6-7 hours, which is apparently how long it takes. So they have to send it to another one. I was just looking for a recommendation as it seems some dealers don't have much experience with the MP.
Wow! I'm stunned!
I assume that they would not be able to carry out any work that requires a ramp for a few hours then; so suspension, brakes, steering, exhaust....... all going elsewhere for another dealers profit. Incredible

Kiwi Ange

I think they have more than one ramp, but only 1 ramp that can take a van weight. And I guess to have it out of action for a whole day is not ideally if they have other vans they need to service and check. I'm just assuming!

Gazthediver

I have had a after market tow fitted and it’s the same as you would get from Mercedes but I never got the upgraded radiator, but did go for the coding so when anything is plugged in to the electric socket it turns off the rear parking sensors , the only difference I know of is you towing weight, I am limited to 2000 weight not sure what the factory fitted weight is But think it’s 2800 weight

Kiwi Ange

I have had a after market tow fitted and it’s the same as you would get from Mercedes but I never got the upgraded radiator, but did go for the coding so when anything is plugged in to the electric socket it turns off the rear parking sensors , the only difference I know of is you towing weight, I am limited to 2000 weight not sure what the factory fitted weight is But think it’s 2800 weight
Many thanks @Gazthediver. Where did you get it done...? And would you recommend them...? Did it effect you warranty...?

Gazthediver

I got a westafila detachable fitted by headleys of Durham , after talking to my local Mercedes dealership they recommend them , and yes I would and no it will not affect my warranty as long as I don’t tow over my legal towing weight, and to be honest I only wanted it for a bike rack

Kiwi Ange

I got a westafila detachable fitted by headleys of Durham , after talking to my local Mercedes dealership they recommend them , and yes I would and no it will not affect my warranty as long as I don’t tow over my legal towing weight, and to be honest I only wanted it for a bike rack
Thanks Gaz!