Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone fitted a dash cam in their Marco Polo?

ClaireDe

I'm thinking of buying a dash cam - not sure which one, Nextbase seem to top most reviews - but concerned about the wiring. Has anyone fitted one or had one fitted? Does it look neat and tidy? If you fitted it yourself - how, was it relatively straightforward? I've had phone kits fitted to a couple of cars (after market) which just seemed to cause electrical problems (lights, radio etc turning on/off randomly).
Thanks!

Hilaryd

New owner here, haven't fitted one either but just a note of caution to review legality of dash cams if you are intending to tour abroad. Check out the countries you are planning to visit

Epigram

I asked a similar question about a year ago.
I bought a Thinkware Q800 front and rear from the RAC shop but when I quizzed the installer he had no experience of fitting in a Marco Polo so I cancelled the order. I Wanted to know where it would be put on the rear opening rear window and where the wiring would run.
Its still on my “to do” list and I make do with an old Nextbase on a rubber sucker with trailing wires and which records pretty useless picture but is better than nothing.
I cannot understand why dashcams can’t be embedded in the vehicle. The cameras are already there.

ClaireDe

Thanks - I hadn't thought about legality in other countries. I know some countries don't allow sat navs to pick up speed cameras.

There are so many 'electrical' things to go wrong on the MP, we don't want to risk anything so suspect I'll have a Nextbase and trailing wires. At least easily removable.
And yes I was thinking that about dash cams embedded in the vehicles, with the cameras it should be easy. Not as easy to take out but could just switch off.

I've looked at the VW California forums and quite a few have had dashcams professionally installed but different vehicle which has been around longer.

Epigram

Yes. Googling “Dashcam legality in the EU“ (or elsewhere) confirms this.
Some countries prohibited, others you are not allowed to upload or post.
Germany takes personal privacy very seriously to the extent that even Street View is not present on Google Earth. That said I followed a Googlecamera vehicle along the Rhine Valley a few years ago so Google still take the pictures.

My dashcam has been in full view in border checks between France and Italy. A friend was wrongly spot fined for not stopping at a stop sign. I wonder what use it would have been arguing with the gendarmes!
French drivers generally tend to challenge authority, I had a long lift in a taxi last year; his satnav ( not sure of the make) was warning every speed camera and alerting to him to speeding. He was calling the speed cameras ***** Sarkozys and it took me a while to work out the association.

Anyway it looks like I have an excuse to cross a permanent intallion off my to do list and put up with trailing wires a little longer :)
There is a world of experience of taking Calis apart and the pros and cons of doing things. Unfortunately not so much with MPs. I wonder whether this is also because you don’t see many bespoke conversions of the V Class other than Westfalia. Surely the Mercedes V Class must be a good starting point.

Last edited:

askho

I have fitted a Nextbase system. It is fitted in the top right hand corner of the windscreen. It doesn't obstruct your view forwards at all. I think it's rather neat because all the wires you see is that little bit in picture 2. The rest of the wire is tucked into the rubber strip in the A pillar and run right down to the bottom of the dashboard. it's tucked in under the dashboard too and it reappears in the centre console to be connected to the 12V socket.

Attachments

• DSCN3057.JPG
    DSCN3057.JPG
    965.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN3058.JPG
    DSCN3058.JPG
    936.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3059.JPG
    DSCN3059.JPG
    955.4 KB · Views: 29

ClaireDe

Not sure I'd argue with the gendarmes!

That looks quite neat askho - assume you fitted it yourself as it's not hardwired in. Thanks for the photos. I may give it a try.

askho

Not sure I'd argue with the gendarmes!

That looks quite neat askho - assume you fitted it yourself as it's not hardwired in. Thanks for the photos. I may give it a try.
I did it myself and I am not technical at all, so it was quite straightforward. it's not hardwired in, can be removed easily.