Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season Tyres?

RobnCaz

RobnCaz

VIP Member
Hello all,

We've just jumped into the world of MP ownership and I'm after some advice... Being RWD have many / any of you switched to all season tyres and if so what's been your experience? Apart from winter traction benefits, I'm assuming A/S tyres will make getting stuck in a wet / muddy field less of an issue? I'm considering getting a set rather than faffing about with winter wheel / tyre swapping twice a year. Also, from my research so far, on the 19in AMG wheels, it appears options are limited - Bridgestone Weather Control the only "known" brand showing up.

Any thoughts anyone?

BabaJen

I'm not an MP owner and my vehicle is 4WD but for all year round camping I would have nothing else. When I picked my new vehicle up last time round it had Bridgestone Turanza's fitted and they were off as soon as I got home.

I was parked in a field in Wiltshire just a week ago and after torrential rain the sinking feeling was affecting those all around but I had no difficulty pulling our caravan out. Just one of many times I have been grateful for them.

Method7

I think you’ll need steel winter wheels for the best options, but to be fair RWD is better than FWD and at least it has ESP or whatever they call the traction control system.

The problem with the AMG wheels is the you have two of the three dimensions are completely wrong for winter driving, narrow wheels and high profiles is what you need, ideally with deep chunky tread pattern. I don’t think you will gain any noticeable benefit from changing tyres on those 19” rims. In fact it’s possible you will just hinder you normal tarmac performance, introduce more road noise for no real improvement in the dirt.. could be better in the wet but over those widths I sort of doubt it unless your currently running some special summer tyre.

If I was planning on ploughing fields and snow I would change the wheels for smaller steel ones and fit proper tyres.. those AMG alloys are also very unforgiving, we picked up a double blowout from a pothole in Scotland, had to get recovered.

RobnCaz

RobnCaz

VIP Member
Thanks BabaJen and Method, an interesting pair of views for me to mull over....

KDM

I bought a second set of 19" AMG rims for winter tires. I've found similar wheels to be superb in winter driving on my Audi and Volvo. I've never gone "skinny" in the winter and I live in the foot hills of the Alps. Today's materials and tread designs make for winter tires that drive and feel like summer sport tires. Going with 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 5 winter tires this winter. Lots of good info on winters here: https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/index.jsp

Method7

I bought a second set of 19" AMG rims for winter tires. I've found similar wheels to be superb in winter driving on my Audi and Volvo. I've never gone "skinny" in the winter and I live in the foot hills of the Alps. Today's materials and tread designs make for winter tires that drive and feel like summer sport tires. Going with 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 5 winter tires this winter. Lots of good info on winters here: https://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/index.jsp
That may be the case with a 4 matic as @BabaJen has explained, I’m not so sure a 2WD would perform as well on those rims.

Ian

I've had a closer look into this as I think this year will be the year I bother to get some winter tyres sorted out. Most likely going to get a second set of rims rather than faff with getting the tyres popped on and off twice a year.

My van has the 245/45 R 18 XL tyres / wheels fitted. Looking at the Mercedes guide on-line it appears this setup is in both category 1 and 2, meaning that I could replace with any other allowed combination without causing the instrument calibration a problem. I'd probably stay with the existing size or step down to a R17 rim. Would need the TPMS as well as new rims. No idea how much these cost?

Has anyone just gone to a Mercedes garage and asked them to sort it all out (i.e. swap the whole lot for a new winter set?). Any view on costs etc?

Paul Mc

I've had a closer look into this as I think this year will be the year I bother to get some winter tyres sorted out. Most likely going to get a second set of rims rather than faff with getting the tyres popped on and off twice a year.

My van has the 245/45 R 18 XL tyres / wheels fitted. Looking at the Mercedes guide on-line it appears this setup is in both category 1 and 2, meaning that I could replace with any other allowed combination without causing the instrument calibration a problem. I'd probably stay with the existing size or step down to a R17 rim. Would need the TPMS as well as new rims. No idea how much these cost?

Has anyone just gone to a Mercedes garage and asked them to sort it all out (i.e. swap the whole lot for a new winter set?). Any view on costs etc?
I purchased the wheels and tyres from MB.
My tyres are the T850s on 17 inch rims.
Change the wheels over myself using a 3 ton trolley jack which I purchased from Halfords.
2D030D5B-E21E-4FDF-801C-F4D6952006F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 299B9614-CDE8-48E9-B1F7-021D5C890A6B.jpeg
    299B9614-CDE8-48E9-B1F7-021D5C890A6B.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 16

Paul Mc

It’s a good idea to use a torque wrench on those wheel nuts.
Yes, I bought a torque wrench when I purchased the trolly jack.
180 Nm for the light alloy wheels. I forgot to include it in the photo.
Will also be using a set of wheel stud alignment guides for the next wheel change. The wheels are quite heavy!
3611A15D-43CD-4C4D-AF1D-8E626FBF27A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Carol

Hello all,

We've just jumped into the world of MP ownership and I'm after some advice... Being RWD have many / any of you switched to all season tyres and if so what's been your experience? Apart from winter traction benefits, I'm assuming A/S tyres will make getting stuck in a wet / muddy field less of an issue? I'm considering getting a set rather than faffing about with winter wheel / tyre swapping twice a year. Also, from my research so far, on the 19in AMG wheels, it appears options are limited - Bridgestone Weather Control the only "known" brand showing up.

Any thoughts anyone?
Michelin cross climate are available for our 19 inch wheel from black circle tyres

KDM

I was flabbergasted to find our AWD 2018 model came with summer tires (we took the demo model off the floor of the dealership). We live in northern Italy, so by law, we have to between mid-October and mid-April have either winter or all-weather/season tires. So, I splurged for another set of AMG rims and four more tires; winter. My summers are Continentals and winters are Michelin which I was able to find with in "Extra Load" or "XL" version. Especially with RWD, I'd definitely have at least all-weather/season tires. Personally, I'd go with winter vice AW. Why? AW is OK in all weather, but do not provide as good a traction in summer as summer tires, nor as good a traction in winter weather as winter tires. If you come across the channel with out of season tires you could be ticketed. A colleague of mine had a fender bender this past winter (in dry weather) here in Italy, the accident was ruled 100% the other drivers faulty. As the police are going about their accident scene business they noted my colleague had summer tires on his car (in the winter); he ended up with a €300+ ticket!

Carol

When l had my service , the service head told me they will do a price match for tyres , l think l prefer MB changing my tyres as anyone els might damage my rims

Carol

Hello all,

Any thoughts anyone?
Just looking to replace my tyres after 25000 miles .wondered if you got all weather tyres and are happy with them and is there any increase in road noise

pumpsmynads

When l had my service , the service head told me they will do a price match for tyres , l think l prefer MB changing my tyres as anyone els might damage my rims
99.9% sure your MB dealer won’t change the tyres. They don’t have the equipment. They’ll either drive it to someone or get a mobile fitter.

Method7

We had a double pot hole puncture in Scotland and got recovered to Aberdeen the MB dealers there replaced both tyres.

RobnCaz

RobnCaz

VIP Member
HI Carol,

The Michelin Cross Climates were the ones I wanted, but weren’t available at the time as you say, so ended up with Bridgestone Weather Control. Pretty happy with them. To answer your earlier question, I noticed no difference in road noise compared to the original tyres.

Happy shopping!