Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5th seat....

jasemikeb

Hi all - i'm looking to buy a MP, but need the 5th seat.
I've looked at dozens and I haven't seen any with the optional 5th seat. I've read that you can drop in a 5th seat from a v-class. Is this accurate? What would I need to check for in terms of floor fixings?
Any advice/guidance - much appreciated!
Jason

Roy C

To fix a 5th single seat you need a van with 3 floor runners. From new, if you order the 5th seat they also modify the floor with the third runner but if not ordered with that option then you just have two runners.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
My understanding is that MB no longer offer the 5th seat as an option on new MP’s. I was lucky and bought a 2nd hand MP that had the option from new. The attached photo shows the required 3rd rail (in the middle). Hope this helps.

KR - Andy B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasemikeb

Thanks Andy/Roy - really helpful as is the photo. Presumably a double seat would then fit from a V-line on the existing twin rails, taking it from 4 seats to 6 seats? I'm trying to configure for the rare exceptions during the week when i need to be able to move 5 people around, but only 4 would ever be 'camping'. What do you think?

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
I have read that on the continent that the MP can be configured with an extra double seat allowing for 6 people to be transported. However, whilst it would be possible to remove the extra bench seat, be careful about the weight. My fifth seat is heavy and whilst it is a one man lift, it is not easy. A double seat would definitely be a two man lift !!

Also, once the second double seat is installed, access to the kitchen storage will not be easy. With the fifth seat, we can still open draws, etc.

If the fifth seat is a must, a used MP with the option of the fifth seat installed may be better. The fifth seat cannot be retrofitted as it needs the 3rd rail.

Hope this helps.

Grand Tourismo

Just bouncing an idea....what if you remove the rear storage compartment (bed extender) and fitted a 2nd two seat bench in that area as the rails run to the end of the van? Maybe facing backwards even?
Might leave you a little more kitchen access then.

p.g.tattan

Hi has anyone actually managed to fit a second set of seats in the rear to a Marco Polo with only two rails? I’m assuming from looking online that it would be two seats that would be added rather than one given the rail configuration ? Would love to see some actual photos Of what people actually did

Grand Tourismo

Hi has anyone actually managed to fit a second set of seats in the rear to a Marco Polo with only two rails? I’m assuming from looking online that it would be two seats that would be added rather than one given the rail configuration ? Would love to see some actual photos Of what people actually did
I have seen pre-owned examples come up for sale with the third rail fitted, meaning a single seat can be added if desired...and of course you can spec. the third rail if you order from new.

I stole this image from another post here on the forum, if you do a search you will find lots more info.
1595259654721.png

p.g.tattan

I have seen pre-owned examples come up for sale with the third rail fitted, meaning a single seat can be added if desired...and of course you can spec. the third rail if you order from new.

I stole this image from another post here on the forum, if you do a search you will find lots more info.
View attachment 1671
Thanks but this is fitted to the van with three rails. The newer Marco Polo is only come with two rails. I’m looking for a solution for fitting a second row of seats to a two rail van - will probably be a bench seat. My van has two rails

Grand Tourismo

Thanks but this is fitted to the van with three rails. The newer Marco Polo is only come with two rails. I’m looking for a solution for fitting a second row of seats to a two rail van - will probably be a bench seat. My van has two rails
How easy/hard is it to fit the third rail as in the picture?

The only issue with fitting the bench seat is in how to load the people into the rear bench, because the front right rear seat would need to fold forward to let people in?
Does the V class minibus have a 2 seat bench? If so you could use one of those maybe?

Edit: I think maybe the V class bus has 4 rails

p.g.tattan

How easy/hard is it to fit the third rail as in the picture?

The only issue with fitting the bench seat is in how to load the people into the rear bench, because the front right rear seat would need to fold forward to let people in?
Does the V class minibus have a 2 seat bench? If so you could use one of those maybe?

Edit: I think maybe the V class bus has 4 rails
That’s why I’m keen to see if anyone has thought this through to the end and solved it. :)

Liven

That’s why I’m keen to see if anyone has thought this through to the end and solved it. :)
hi P.G
I had the same idea as you as some time i need to carry 6 people, i even asked one of the mp specilist in mb dealership, he confirmed to me the v class rear two seat bench will fit in using two rail and you can find one from ebay, i would put them facing the current rear seat so both seat can be reached and they can have a table while facing each other, but you probably cant open the corner cupboard.

I haven't have my car yet (it's tomorrow!), can't be sure if this will work.

Liven

Bebe

Hi there
Hope you don't mind me resuscitating an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone has tried this and if it has worked?
Also, if you have the bench seat in the back instead of the rear storage/bed extender, can you use the second set of seats unreclined as the bed extender?
Many thanks!

Danecycling

I am looking for the same solution, with a 2 rail MP. There are a number of 2 rail double seats on eBay, but would like to know what would be easiest and the most secure. Thanks

D

davedj79

VIP Member
Interested if anyone solves the two rail fifth seat option.

J

j200george

VIP Member
Is there a market for individual 5th seats?

The MP I am looking at has a third rail and the “5th seat” is out of the car at present. I really have no interest in having it as it’s be a tonne weight to take out and put back in.

anyone think it’d sell? Have looked on eBay but there are none available for sale at present.

Edit:

Having now viewed the car in question the dealer advised that the 5th seat goes into the mid behind the rhd drivers seat. Third rail is fitted but I noted that there are some stop blocks in the rail (something to do with the seat mounting).

This seems to limit how far the rear two seat (electric) bench can move forward. I noted when I tried to make up the downstairs bed that the tops of the seats are a seriously snug fit against the rear parcel shelf part.

does anyone have this option in their MP? Can these blocks be moved?

I doubt we will ever use this 5th seat but if we were to I’d prefer it to go behind the middle row. This of course would then most likely force removal of the camp table/ chairs and rear section. In winter we’d probably not use the bed, table or chairs.

All words of wisdom and advice welcome.

Last edited:
Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
Hi J200george,

I have an MP with the fifth seat option. When the fifth seat is out, you can use the (supplied) tool to move the fastenings in the runners forward towards the drivers seat. Once the fasteners are moved forward, you can move the rear seat forward to enable putting up the bed with no problem.

Also, if you don’t need the full length of the bed (which we don’t) you can remove (by unzipping) part of the bed extension. This will give you more room in the habitation area once the bed is made up. However, you may then want to use a mattress topper to make the bed more comfortable.

Hope this helps.

J

j200george

VIP Member
^^^ thanks for the reply Andy, unfortunately I missed out on this car (with the 5th seat). Got a deposit on another without the extra seat now. I’m sure the above will help a future MP owner however.

Andy B

Andy B

VIP Member
No problem. Good luck with the MO when you get it - you won’t be disappointed !!