Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Matic RHD - any rumours of a launch in the U.K.?

Coolsailingdude

I'm on the verge of ordering an MP but I’m kind hankering for the 4Matic version, I have some pretty exciting trips planned including Iceland and Norway, I just think that it makes sense to have AWD if possible and if the Cali has it then why not the MP? Has anyone heard any rumours of an imminent launch in the U.K?

Reactions: RFT

BabaJen

Lack of 4WD is what is keeping me from seriously considering a MP. If there is any sight of it then it would certainly have my interest.

Coolsailingdude

Lack of 4WD is what is keeping me from seriously considering a MP. If there is any sight of it then it would certainly have my interest.
I'm certain it will happen, MB are just testing the UK market uptake, once established I'm sure it will justify the logistical overhead of a 4Matic version here, Australia has them and they are RHD so surely soon?

BabaJen

It will certainly be useful in Iceland, a great trip. Like you I think it is inevetible.

Frenchie

within a few years if sales go anywhere, Mercedes will start to sale all their campervans in the UK. however if sales fall they will not bother. In short with the anti diesel mob and extra taxes who knows what will go on.

Coolsailingdude

within a few years if sales go anywhere, Mercedes will start to sale all their campervans in the UK. however if sales fall they will not bother. In short with the anti diesel mob and extra taxes who knows what will go on.
Just had the following reply from Mercedes via twitter messenger....

Hi Andrew, there are no plans at the moment. We've found this presentation you maybe interested in. Check out page 29: http://mb4.me/A3qsCIQJ. Our sales teams will be abreast of this information as well so you can confirm it with them before you sign on the dotted line. We're very much looking forward to welcoming you to the #mbFamily. Please let us know how you get on. Have a nice evening!

I think I’m just going to go ahead, we coaxed a Yarris over boulder fields and 'f' roads in Iceland recently (don’t tell the hire company :) ) so I’m sure the MP will be fine. I’m not going to let the diesel issue worry me, it’s still better for the planet, not local air quality but certainly economy and CO2 . There really is no alternative and the Diesel heater is fabulous off grid too.

Just an aside on the transmission, I’ve just done 60k miles with the 7G unit as fitted to the MP, it’s truly sensational, it thinks for you and uses input from accelerometers embedded in the vehicle to change down appropriately on bends and hills. It sometimes gets confused when approaching a mini roundabout where I want a low gear but only briefly. Otherwise it’s perfect. And then there's the 9G ...wow...wow...wow...incredible. that’s the real reason I wanted the 4matic as in the GLC, it has the 9G as standard.

Hope this has been of some interest and help..

Coolsailingdude

Has anyone heard anything on a 4Matic version?
I have it straight from the horses mouth that it’s not happening....apparently there are issues with the way the 4WD is implemented and the positioning of critical components in a RH drive version. I’m even considering buying a LHD version...

Carbonio

I’m awaiting a call back from MB Brooklands, I figured if anyone will know they will.

The guy I spoke to said he doesn’t see any reason they won’t have a 4Matic released.

I’ll let you know what they say.

Kevin Day

I’m awaiting a call back from MB Brooklands, I figured if anyone will know they will.

The guy I spoke to said he doesn’t see any reason they won’t have a 4Matic released.

I’ll let you know what they say.
I spoke with Brooklands yesterday and Tim confirmed no 4Matic option will be available as they would have to reconfigure too much within the drivetrain for RHD. However he also said another option you can't have is a sunroof - which I said to him, well hopefully there would be canvas there I said... I'm seeing him on Monday so will re-post if anything changes.

steve chrich

I would like to purchase a 4Matic Marco Polo but unfortunately its not in the uk spec the French version does, has anyone had any experience purchasing a vehicle from a French dealership.

RFT

I've bought new Mercs from German dealers, the ones near BFG bases are used to providing UK spec cars. I guess that buying 4wd will mean LHD and certain standard UK items may not be included. e.g. We get a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser. Will you get the leather interior? They don't appear to in Spain. These things can hammer resale values. If 4wd is that important shouldn't you buy a California?