Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 Keys (what's the 3rd key for)

Jamboree

I just purchased a Marco Polo (2018 model).
I received 3 different key's
- 1 for the car
- 1 for the water
- 1 for??? I can't find anywhere that the 3rd key is for?

While I was picking up the car: I asked the dealer, he said he does not know.
Still while at the dealership picking up the car, I asked the service person at the dealership, he didn't know
I then called the dealer at a later date, he still couldn't find a place for the key
I asked the dealer to find out how many key's he gives when he sells a new MP -- he said only 2 different keys
I've looked throughout the car and can't find a place to put the 3rd key.
I'm afraid if I toss the key, then it will become important to use that key to do something I wasn't thinking of --- something silly like turning the turn signal on or adjusting the radio station..... (these are dumb examples but you know how it goes, the moment you think you don't need anything is the moment it becomes the most important item).

I've been afraid to post this message because I'm sure the key is important and the key hole is super obvious, but for the life of me - I can't find where it goes.

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 35

GeorgeG

I just purchased a Marco Polo (2018 model).
I received 3 different key's
- 1 for the car
- 1 for the water
- 1 for??? I can't find anywhere that the 3rd key is for?

While I was picking up the car: I asked the dealer, he said he does not know.
Still while at the dealership picking up the car, I asked the service person at the dealership, he didn't know
I then called the dealer at a later date, he still couldn't find a place for the key
I asked the dealer to find out how many key's he gives when he sells a new MP -- he said only 2 different keys
I've looked throughout the car and can't find a place to put the 3rd key.
I'm afraid if I toss the key, then it will become important to use that key to do something I wasn't thinking of --- something silly like turning the turn signal on or adjusting the radio station..... (these are dumb examples but you know how it goes, the moment you think you don't need anything is the moment it becomes the most important item).

I've been afraid to post this message because I'm sure the key is important and the key hole is super obvious, but for the life of me - I can't find where it goes.

I have a Mercedes bike carrier (made by Atera) for a towbar. The key looks remarkably similar to the one in the photo of your keys. Does your MP have a towbar? I assume it’s secondhand being 2018 - maybe the previous owner had a bike carrier and kept it. Just a long shot.

Steve B

Other than the ignition key and the remotes for heating, I only have traditional type keys for the water tank (top right in the photo). As GeorgeG says, they look like an optional extra key, you just need to find the mystery extra :)

Jamboree

I have a Mercedes bike carrier (made by Atera) for a towbar. The key looks remarkably similar to the one in the photo of your keys. Does your MP have a towbar? I assume it’s secondhand being 2018 - maybe the previous owner had a bike carrier and kept it. Just a long shot.

AHHHHHHH, this makes complete sense. I can't confirm but this makes the most sense. and YES - I purchased the vehicle used (from the dealer - the dealer used it as a dealer car). Thank you --- I've been laughing at this situation since purchasing the car, seriously - how many places are there on the car that need an extra key.

Jamboree

Other than the ignition key and the remotes for heating, I only have traditional type keys for the water tank (top right in the photo). As GeorgeG says, they look like an optional extra key, you just need to find the mystery extra :)
You have a key for remote heating? did that come with the heater or did you buy that in-addition? I thought this car came with a remote for the heater but when I asked the dealer about it he said it was an additional $2,400. I'm not worried about it - I just thought my car came with it.

Steve B

You have a key for remote heating? did that come with the heater or did you buy that in-addition? I thought this car came with a remote for the heater but when I asked the dealer about it he said it was an additional $2,400. I'm not worried about it - I just thought my car came with it.
Yes, two remotes, one for the night air heater and one for the 'water' heater. Have a search as there is more about heaters and the understandable confusion on this forum than anything else (except perhaps blistering roofs). From memory remotes cost about £300 each on the extras list.

Method7

With our horizon, we got two ignition keys both exactly the same. This pleased me lots because replacement keys are very expensive, in fact it think the car came with a 3 year insurance policy to cover just ignition key loss.

GeorgeG

AHHHHHHH, this makes complete sense. I can't confirm but this makes the most sense. and YES - I purchased the vehicle used (from the dealer - the dealer used it as a dealer car). Thank you --- I've been laughing at this situation since purchasing the car, seriously - how many places are there on the car that need an extra key.
Did you find out what the mystery key was for? Just thought that as my bike rack came with three keys it would be easy for a previous owner to inadvertently leave one on the spare key ring.

KDM

My guess would have been "lock securing the space under the vehicle." After owning a new '18 for at least a month I discovered there was a door key inside the key fob! Look at the bottom end of the fob and you'll see a release button, press and pull and out comes a metal key.

SteveR

Look at the bottom end of the fob and you'll see a release button, press and pull and out comes a metal key.
Yes, that's the emergency key in case your fob battery dies.

@Jamboree - Have you resolved the mystery key yet?
Another thought is it could be the removable towbar key if you have that option fitted??

Jamboree

Yes, that's the emergency key in case your fob battery dies.

@Jamboree - Have you resolved the mystery key yet?
Another thought is it could be the removable towbar key if you have that option fitted??
Never found out what it's for. I keep one of the keys in the vehicle - stored away, just in case it ever pops up .

Those keys look identical to my Thule cycle carrier keys. Maybe they were just left with the car after the carrier was removed!