Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

220d 7speed. DSG

Method7

Our MP is currently in the body shop getting the roof replaced and MB have supplied a courtesy car for the duration, a C 220d. I’ve had a V class for the last 15 years so driving a car is a bit of a novelty, can’t really count my wife’s Mini Cooper, full of squeaks and rattles more of a go-cart and a bit of a clown car.. Anyway this Black C-Class, has Sport+ where almost everything responds much better.

I say almost everything because it still sits there when you put your foot down, for what seems like an eternity while It spins up the motor before launching into the oncoming traffic, just like the MP. It’s like it’s winding up the elastic band ready for take off. Except the moment has already passed and we are waving our apologies to oncoming drivers.

To be fair the C220 is far more responsive but that same elastic band DNA is very present.. don’t get me wrong, I think the engine and gearbox on the MP are fantastic, perfect for effortless driving and wafting around without spilling your Starbucks but my question here is, are all MBs like this? Is it the turbo diesel & DSG combination?

I have been really enjoying the C220, it’s strangely familiar... maybe 15cm shorter than the MP but so much more nimble. A very nice and fun car but all I want to do now is have a blast in a petrol engine C Class... C63 AMG Maybe

Last edited:

Steve B

I’ve just handed back my 2019 Audi A7 company car (now work from home), that was terrible for lag when pulling out at junctions. It was my third A7 and by far the worst. The MP is more responsive in my opinion, that said I do drive far more sedately.

pumpsmynads

It isn’t a dual clutch. If you mash the throttle past the kick down, it not only has to change gears first, but then spin up the revs before it accelerates.

rogerjames

Our MP is currently in the body shop getting the roof replaced and MB have supplied a courtesy car for the duration, a C 220d. I’ve had a V class for the last 15 years so driving a car is a bit of a novelty, can’t really count my wife’s Mini Cooper, full of squeaks and rattles more of a go-cart and a bit of a clown car.. Anyway this Black C-Class, has Sport+ where almost everything responds much better.

I say almost everything because it still sits there when you put your foot down, for what seems like an eternity while It spins up the motor before launching into the oncoming traffic, just like the MP. It’s like it’s winding up the elastic band ready for take off. Except the moment has already passed and we are waving our apologies to oncoming drivers.

To be fair the C220 is far more responsive but that same elastic band DNA is very present.. don’t get me wrong, I think the engine and gearbox on the MP are fantastic, perfect for effortless driving and wafting around without spilling your Starbucks but my question here is, are all MBs like this? Is it the turbo diesel & DSG combination?

I have been really enjoying the C220, it’s strangely familiar... maybe 15cm shorter than the MP but so much more nimble. A very nice and fun car but all I want to do now is have a blast in a petrol engine C Class... C63 AMG Maybe
Our MP is also getting roof replacement and our courtesy car is E 350! Goes like stink, but I still prefer MP for driving position.

Method7

I can’t say that I prefer the driving position of either, the C-Class had a thin strip of something to rest my left foot on. It was less than 1/2 as wide as my foot so my ankle was constantly under stress and it caused hotspots on the bottom of my foot. Couldn’t get my left leg comfortable, it was always shuffling about... apart from that I think the driving positions for both were perfect. I would have to fit some sort of foot rest or remove my left leg if I had a C-Class though.

Method7

It isn’t a dual clutch. If you mash the throttle past the kick down, it not only has to change gears first, but then spin up the revs before it accelerates.
You don’t need to floor it, A standing start with just 1/2 - 3/4 throttle and It does all that spinning up shenanigans. It’s like turbo lag but it’s not. It is probably more closely related to the launch-control systems found on sports cars but in this case it’s being used to reduce the effect of turbo lag by spinning up the engine and getting the turbo into a state where it’s actually useful (not unlike a diesel passenger train) and then the clutches and gearbox are so close there are no gaps for the lag to exist. It’s very cleverly done, just not really something I want when having a sporty blast across counties in a car that’s clearly built for it.

Hardly a issue in the V-Class, much more noticeable in the C..

Method7

I’ve never really been a fan of the Turbo, had a Colt Mirage Turbo in the late 80s, it was a real blast but such hard work to drive. Massive turbo lag then a brain haemorrhage and a gear change, lots of fun in a straight line but getting that right through the bends is something of an art form.

Don’t get me wrong I think the 220d combined with the DSG gearbox is very clever, super smooth and amazingly efficient. It uses about 1/3 of the fuel our old petrol V6 Vito and goes much better... eventually.

Steve B

Not sure if its the leisurely way I pull out of junctions or the fact that the MP is such a good looking thing from behind, as I now always seem to have a queue of people behind me having a look. Of course I slow down a little just in case anyone else wants to have a look :) :)

pumpsmynads

I’ve never really been a fan of the Turbo, had a Colt Mirage Turbo in the late 80s, it was a real blast but such hard work to drive. Massive turbo lag then a brain haemorrhage and a gear change, lots of fun in a straight line but getting that right through the bends is something of an art form.

Don’t get me wrong I think the 220d combined with the DSG gearbox is very clever, super smooth and amazingly efficient. It uses about 1/3 of the fuel our old petrol V6 Vito and goes much better... eventually.
It still isn’t a dual clutch

PeeGee

Have you tried the paddle shift to lock it in 1st before you pull away? Worth a try but you have to be ready with the right hand paddle to get into 2nd before it screams too much. Had to do that with my Jaguar XF sportbrake which was worse than the MP because the lag was unpredictable. Traded that in for a Toyota RAV4 hybrid which, in comparison to both, is like an instant rocket when you want to pull away into traffic!

pumpsmynads

To be honest, I don’t care Troll
I think if you read my previous posts across this site you’ll see I’m not the troll. You asked a question and I answered. I was going to explain with more ‘fluff’ but your snarkiness of asking for enlightenment meant that I simply kept it brief. Now you’re calling me names. Jesus wept.

GeorgeG

Cars with DSG gearboxes are positively dangerous, especially pulling away on roundabouts. In my experience, VWs are the worst (and unreliable) - avoid.

Fortunately the MP has a conventional auto ‘slushmatic’ - pretty bombproof.

Method7

Lol, I’ve never driven a Audi and assumed that all these modern electronic shift boxes were generically called DSG (Digital shift gearbox) apparently not. G7 whoooo. Or G9... whatever. I just wanted to discuss my experience, I really don’t give a monkey about how or why. My point was that I really enjoyed the freedom of that C220 compared to the MP but it also suffers from the same faults.. I have discovered since, that AMG have tinkered with the G[x] and added (it bloody is a dual clutch). So I’m going to have a play in the 63.. for sure.