Buy all your Marco Polo Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

220 D Marco Polo sport

Arthur B

Hi to everyone,
Could anyone on here help ? I'm going to buy an MP 220 sport 2019 for my better half and me to do some touring in the UK and Europe.
by the time I get it, the vehicle will be 9 months old, mileage will be around 6000, with westfalia fitted diesel heater, sink , cooker and fridge. My question is, how much should I be paying for it ? Please do comment as I have not owned a campervan before and have precious little knowledge of them.
Sincerely, Arthur

Arthur B

I have the option of two, first one Jan 2019, the second aug 2019, how much do you think anyone ?
And what about the roof blisters ! Do they all have them ?

Epigram

I have the option of two, first one Jan 2019, the second aug 2019, how much do you think anyone ?
Re roof blisters: Refer to thread “ small blisters on roof” for the numbers who have reported on this forum.
Be mischievous and ask the dealer(s) about them! If they say they say they don’t know about them, refer them to the forum and ask them to give you an assurance from Mercedes Head Office that the problem has been resolved.
The replies should be interesting!

Steve B

It depends on the spec/options and the price really, dealers often lack knowledge so you need to be sure what you are potentially buying. Blisters well covered as above but read the threads on the heaters as this might be important if you use it spring/autumn. I think the August version might be the face lift and will have the heater as standard - key thing is to check and verify.

Epigram

Good suggestion of SteveB’s to check and understand the differences between the air heater and engine water heater options. There has been a lot of confusion.

Check the factory options to ensure you are comparing like for like - ask the dealer(s) to print them off for you from the vehicle spec. For example, the air heater is specified as HZ1 + HY2 but it’s only the (more expensive) air heater

Be aware that the 2019 models have been superseded with the 2020 facelift model so you should be able to get a good discount on a 2019 vehicle.

External differences are minor but 2020 models now have the OM654 engines with a 9 (as opposed to 7) speed gearbox. The power on the new 220 is roughly the same although the 250d has been replaced by the 300d which has a few more horsepower. That said my 250 was no slouch when driving through the Alps last year and had enough acceleration for overtaking uphill so you are unlikely to be disappointed. The gearboxes are smooth especially when compared to the VW 7 speed DSG...but let’s not go there.

Do a road test over rough ground. Despite being a camper van there should be no rattles. Awnings can rattle but that can be cured. A useful negotiating point though!

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Arthur B

It depends on the spec/options and the price really, dealers often lack knowledge so you need to be sure what you are potentially buying. Blisters well covered as above but read the threads on the heaters as this might be important if you use it spring/autumn. I think the August version might be the face lift and will have the heater as standard - key thing is to check and verify.
Yes your right, the August one does have the diesel heater, have tried I'd and it's quite powerful

Arthur B

Good suggestion of SteveB’s to check and understand the differences between the air heater and engine water heater options. There has been a lot of confusion.

Check the factory options to ensure you are comparing like for like - ask the dealer(s) to print them off for you from the vehicle spec. For example, the air heater is specified as HZ1 + HY2 but it’s only the (more expensive) air heater

Be aware that the 2019 models have been superseded with the 2020 facelift model so you should be able to get a good discount on a 2019 vehicle.

External differences are minor but 2020 models now have the OM654 engines with a 9 (as opposed to 7) speed gearbox. The power on the new 220 is roughly the same although the 250d has been replaced by the 300d which has a few more horsepower. That said my 250 was no slouch when driving through the Alps last year and had enough acceleration for overtaking uphill so you are unlikely to be disappointed. The gearboxes are smooth especially when compared to the VW 7 speed DSG...but let’s not go there.

Do a road test over rough ground. Despite being a camper van there should be no rattles. Awnings can rattle but that can be cured. A useful negotiating point though!

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
I'm going to offer him £43,000 for the August 2019 and
see what he has to say, thanks for your reply

Method7

When you consider how long it is taking MB to deliver new MPs I would imagine that used MPs are in high demand especially if they have diesel heaters... UK models come highly equipped from the factory so things like LED lights, leather seats and electric tailgate are all standard but litter the data sheets like options. 43k for a 5 month old MP seems like a steal..

Method7

Do all MP sport have a shower connection ?
I think all Activity MPs have one but not on the Horizon which is equivalent to the Beach version of the California i.e. there is no camping furniture, stove, fridge or cupboards.. but it has 2 rear doors, transports and sleeps 5, if your into being cosy downstairs.

Arthur B

I think all Activity MPs have one but not on the Horizon which is equivalent to the Beach version of the California i.e. there is no camping furniture, stove, fridge or cupboards.. but it has 2 rear doors, transports and sleeps 5, if your into being cosy downstairs.
Thanks for your reply, I'm still learning about the them

Epigram

Do all MP sport have a shower connection ?
[To help you get a feel for what’s what there are plenty of guides/ tours on YouTube - some better than others. Also download the Mercedes V Class / Marco Polo Guide/ operator‘s manual and configurator.]
In the UK Marco Polo campervans i.e. with kitchen, sink, wardrobe etc., have the shower outlet. Don’t get too excited though it’s a cold water outlet for connecting to a flexible spray nozzle - see MP accessories. In cold climes UK good for washing boots, dog etc unless you are really hardy!
The Horizons have three rear bench seat/ bed and no kitchen / sink or shower outlet.

What would be nice is to have an MP Horizon (i.e. no kitchen wardrobe etc) with double as opposed to triple rear seat so that you could fit in skis or surf board down the side.
Mercedes are missing a trick.
I would be interested to know if the campervan double rear seat could fit in the Horizon.

Last edited:

Method7

I would be interested to know if the campervan double rear seat could fit in the Horizon.
I think it would fit as the horizon has 4 rails however one of the middle ones is shorter so depending on which side you place the double or the rails it uses the amount of forward movement might be reduced. But then there is the power issue since the horizon seat is manually operated along with the roof. Thankfully. The leisure battery only powers the 12v supply and some of the interior lighting.. so I guess It wouldn’t be out of the question to provide power.

I think MB are missing on a huge opportunity with such limited options regarding the horizon..it’s a interesting idea that can so easily be transformed to thousands of applications... it baffles me why you can’t slide the entire bed forward to the front seats and use a huge boot space for bicycles. You can move the seat fine but the bed extender is fixed.

Last edited:

Method7

Imagine fitting a double form the activity along with the double bed extender, slide it all forward you would have so much room all the way round the side and rear end of the bed. Perfect for stealth overnighting with all your toys safe and sound.

Epigram

Imagine fitting a double form the activity along with the double bed extender, slide it all forward you would have so much room all the way round the side and rear end of the bed. Perfect for stealth overnighting with all your toys safe and sound.
Yes. Perhaps a new thread with the title “How the Marco Polo could be improved.”
But (sorry to continue off theme.) Need a double crash tested seat that reclines (electric not critical) and a redesigned bed base of the same width that fits in the rails rather than pivots on the sides.
Even modifying the existing Horizon triple seat in a 1-2 split would be better. Not rocket science. It would get my vote and I could sleep with my toys....childhood revisited :)

Last edited: